The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by Poster » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:26 pm

when I drag patterns from Maschine to Live as audio files, the original timing is gone..
and I really mean gone as in off by sometimes even a beat..

are there known issues or am I doing something wrong here?

cheers..

----
edit:
solved..

goto: File> Export Audio> have 'Loop Optimize' checked..

Klinke

Post by Klinke » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Try turning off the grid before you drag 'n drop. Grid button + pad#16
I read something at NI-forum, that it might affect even recording...so grid off there too, for real live feeling.
Pineapple, cards or cocaine?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 pm

He already answered himself:
Poster wrote:File> Export Audio> have 'Loop Optimize' checked..

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:32 pm

yep.. the 'Loop Optimize' option did the trick..

still don't understand why there are two possible rendered outcomes..?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Yet now it turns out that knob 4 has a live of its own. iow; when you try to raise or lower the pitchbend of a pad the value is extremely jittery and its impossible to turn this to the maximum value without the value shooting up and down.

Same applies when you're using it in the browser to select a subtype; its sometimes impossible to make a direct selection...
Hold down SHIFT when turning knobs for finer adjustments.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:14 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
delicioso wrote:Hold down SHIFT when turning knobs for finer adjustments.
Thanks, but I was aware of this one already.

Its not so much fine grain control, its having any control at all ;)

Even with shift pressed I can turn dial 4 (pitch bend) clock wise and end up with a lower value. I don't think this is intended behavior (or at least I hope now).
if it's a hardware thing, return it..
I returned mine twice, got a new one each time.. :)

2be

Post by 2be » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:28 pm

This sounds more like a hardware issue.
I'd contact NI tech support and tell them about it!

BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:

2be

Post by 2be » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Now that's a hardware error for sure!

Yeah, I prefer returning it to the dealer as well. But sending to NI is always an option, they have to offer guarantee ;)

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:26 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Poster wrote:if it's a hardware thing, return it..
I returned mine twice, got a new one each time.. :)
Twice ? 8O

That sure doesn't sound very re-assuring :?

Anyway, made a quick video with my phone; check it here.

Thanks for your comment, now to fill out the warranty request... Anyway, right now I'm sure starting to get second doubts. If the second behaves as badly as this one I think I'll return the whole thing and get my money back.
yep.. twice.. though not related to your issue..
first time there was a bug with the 2 displays, where each display showed the same parameters..
second time the top plate came off a little so I couldn't press the top row buttons..

the vid clearly shows a jittery hardware dial..

als ik jou was zou ik hem niet terug sturen naar NI maar proberen via de winkel een nieuwe te krijgen.. waar heb je hem gekocht?
heb op het NI forum gelezen dat het erg lang kan duren omdat NI hem daadwerkelijk probeert te repareren, terwijl een winkel vaak gewoon een andere van het schap pakt..
ik kreeg bij mij hier in Amsterdam gewoon een demo unit mee totdat er een nieuwe binnen kwam..

phil909

Post by phil909 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 pm

2be wrote:This sounds more like a hardware issue.
I'd contact NI tech support and tell them about it!

BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:

this sounds right up my street - care to share the set?

Pinnipeds

Post by Pinnipeds » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi I have two questions concerning Maschine (sorry if these have been asked before but it's a bit hard to sift through 50+ pages of this thread)

Can the 8 knobs on the Maschine be assigned to effects, etc. in Live? And is it possible to create a beat inside of the Maschine software and import it into Live?

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Pinnipeds wrote:Can the 8 knobs on the Maschine be assigned to effects, etc. in Live?
yep.. you can use it as a generic midi controller..
And is it possible to create a beat inside of the Maschine software and import it into Live?
yep.. you can even just drag clips from Maschine into Live as either audio or midi clips..

rosti

Post by rosti » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Sorry for my lazy ass for not reading the whole thread but:

Does Maschine support the "red square" for Ableton session view already? I see some third party scripts for other midi controllers that do, so i'm just wondering..