All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:28 pm 

This sounds more like a hardware issue.
I'd contact NI tech support and tell them about it!

BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:33 pm 

Poster wrote:
if it's a hardware thing, return it..
I returned mine twice, got a new one each time.. :)

Twice ? 8O

That sure doesn't sound very re-assuring :?

Anyway, made a quick video with my phone; check it here.

Thanks for your comment, now to fill out the warranty request... Anyway, right now I'm sure starting to get second doubts. If the second behaves as badly as this one I think I'll return the whole thing and get my money back.

@2be: I didn't got it from NI directly so its a local vendor thingie :)

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max5 / M4l and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 pm 

Now that's a hardware error for sure!

Yeah, I prefer returning it to the dealer as well. But sending to NI is always an option, they have to offer guarantee ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:49 pm 

2be wrote:
Yeah, I prefer returning it to the dealer as well. But sending to NI is always an option, they have to offer guarantee ;)

Now that is a very good point indeed!

Thanks very much for mentioning this, I'll be sure to keep this in the back of my head!

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:26 pm 

ShelLuser wrote:
Poster wrote:
if it's a hardware thing, return it..
I returned mine twice, got a new one each time.. :)

Twice ? 8O

That sure doesn't sound very re-assuring :?

Anyway, made a quick video with my phone; check it here.

Thanks for your comment, now to fill out the warranty request... Anyway, right now I'm sure starting to get second doubts. If the second behaves as badly as this one I think I'll return the whole thing and get my money back.

yep.. twice.. though not related to your issue..
first time there was a bug with the 2 displays, where each display showed the same parameters..
second time the top plate came off a little so I couldn't press the top row buttons..

the vid clearly shows a jittery hardware dial..

als ik jou was zou ik hem niet terug sturen naar NI maar proberen via de winkel een nieuwe te krijgen.. waar heb je hem gekocht?
heb op het NI forum gelezen dat het erg lang kan duren omdat NI hem daadwerkelijk probeert te repareren, terwijl een winkel vaak gewoon een andere van het schap pakt..
ik kreeg bij mij hier in Amsterdam gewoon een demo unit mee totdat er een nieuwe binnen kwam..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:30 am 

Poster wrote:
yep.. twice.. though not related to your issue..
first time there was a bug with the 2 displays, where each display showed the same parameters..
second time the top plate came off a little so I couldn't press the top row buttons..

Nah, I'm aware it can't be related, but that does say something about the hardware as a whole. Its solid, but doesn't feel as robust as some other stuff.

Quote:
als ik jou was zou ik hem niet terug sturen naar NI maar proberen via de winkel een nieuwe te krijgen.. waar heb je hem gekocht?

Nah, ben ik ook niet van plan (naar NI sturen). Ook omdat NI support bijzonder traaahaaag is :?

Maar als ik er niet uitkom met de winkel / store is het een goeie achterdeur.

Deze komt bij dwmusicstore vandaan. Da's het enige lastige; 'tis een internet shop :) Naja, veel Maschinen zal er niet inzitten tijdens de feestdagen, da's wel knap irritant...

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 am 

Oh, and just for the record to add to the love thread...

Although I have been experiencing issues, some rather stupid (IMO the Maschine DVD copy protection is a joke and a stupid one at that) and some probably Murphy related (my jitter dial) I have to admit that Maschine's workflow is indeed amazing.

If my next model is working as it should then this also means that I'm removing the launchpad from my wishlist :-) APC40 + Maschine is IMO a very solid way to build your music, rather unheard of!

I've been messing around a bit this evening and what I really like is the option to switch between "Maschine mode" and "midi control mode". Brilliant! I've completely re-worked the included 'Ableton Live' template because I don't fancy adding Maschine as a controller to Live.

Instead I'm simply using very specific values (note values, control values, etc.) and midi mapped those (the eventual idea is to have them midi mapped in my standard Live template).

So, for example, the "caveat" that the Maschine VST is fully depending on the main (Live) transport is no longer an issue for me. I don't even have to lean over to my APC: I simply switch modes, hit 'Play' and switch modes again.

And since my APC sits by close enough I also don't need any enhanced controlling features. The only stuff which I might be using in the future (for example; I can see myself changing a channels volume from Maschine when working with it) are also easily midi-mapped.

Best out of both worlds!

Sampling capabilities are awesome! Couldn't try out everything due to the dial (so slicing also became very tricky) but still managed to have lots of fun with the free loopmaster samples (see here for the page).

Slicing, reversing, adding effects, etc.

With a few hits of a few buttons you have a lot of sound under your fingertips.

And I finally discovered (and appreciated) how one can play a drum beat with one hand :)

Heck, if this is going where I think its going then this may very well spell the end for my ongoing "Reasonable" M4L project (controlling Reason from within Live using my APC40).

M4L/APC is doable (to some end). But adding a new template and creating some extra knob pages seems like a much better idea; that way you can control every Reason detail instead of the 8 by 8 (64) dial maximum :)

Hmm... This critter sure has potential, that's for sure 8-)

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 pm 

2be wrote:
This sounds more like a hardware issue.
I'd contact NI tech support and tell them about it!

BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:

this sounds right up my street - care to share the set?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:44 pm 

Hi I have two questions concerning Maschine (sorry if these have been asked before but it's a bit hard to sift through 50+ pages of this thread)

Can the 8 knobs on the Maschine be assigned to effects, etc. in Live? And is it possible to create a beat inside of the Maschine software and import it into Live?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:59 pm 

Pinnipeds wrote:
Can the 8 knobs on the Maschine be assigned to effects, etc. in Live?

yep.. you can use it as a generic midi controller..

Quote:
And is it possible to create a beat inside of the Maschine software and import it into Live?

yep.. you can even just drag clips from Maschine into Live as either audio or midi clips..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm 

Sorry for my lazy ass for not reading the whole thread but:

Does Maschine support the "red square" for Ableton session view already? I see some third party scripts for other midi controllers that do, so i'm just wondering..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 pm 

In case anyone missed this:
NI is giving away a custom Maschine model. I believe you can enter until 1/31.

"Hi all,

I wanted to make sure you don't miss this, we are having a give-away on the Maschine Facebook page where you can win this custom white Maschine with wood ends (picture below).

http://www.facebook.com/nimaschine?v=app_4949752878

If you are already subscribed to the Maschine Facebook page anyway, you are automatically in the drawing. Either way, good luck

Regards, Thomas"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm 

^Yeah that Maschine is SICK.

Soundcloud | Facebook | Website

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 pm 

I'm heavily considering taking the plunge and getting a Maschine, although I see it is not ideal for clip launching.
Would the Launchpad be a good companion to the Maschine? The only thing I would be missing is physical faders, but it's not a huge gripe for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:09 am 

what makes it not ideal for clip launching?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next