any improvising musicians out there using live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RJ

any improvising musicians out there using live?

Post by RJ » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:11 pm

Just wondering who else is out there using Live to improvise in "modern avant-jazz" (I'm not goos with labels). I'm starting to use it with others and trying to integrate it into my trumpet playing.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:27 pm

this is kind of how i use live, though i use my mouth and a bass rather then a trumpet.

RJ

Post by RJ » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:34 pm

what sort of set up do you use?

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

I do quiet a bit of this with some guys I jam with.

RJ

Post by RJ » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:46 pm

what kind of stuff do you guys use along with live? I usually play trumpet (along with laptop) and others use guitar with effects, and percussion. I want to take another step and process the trumpet sounds- not sure whether Live would be best for this, or just using effects pedals would be better.

What kind of instrumentation so you guys play with?

ps. anybody heard Supersilent from Norway? I don't think they use Live at all, but they are awesome.

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:05 pm

Well... we have gone all the way to the point where everything was running through live. Guitar, Drums and Me making weird bass sounds. That was quiet a trippy set... oh there was some yelling involved as well. 8O

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:50 am

Follow actions are great for improvising over. I choose a couple of breakbeats then record a quick few bars of bass into three or four clips. Copy the breakbeats and bass clips, mess with the pitch or volume envelopes on each one so you have a few different versions, then set the follow actions to jump randomly between them and get to it - instant, endless variations to noodle over.
enough with the damn t-shirts...

RJ

Post by RJ » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:27 pm

I haven't checked out the follow stuff yet. right now I build a lot of- well I geuss you could call them pads of sound- different levels of noise and percussion, and them play over that and switch back and forth between trumpet and laptop. I need to get some looping action going on the trumpet though. not sure if Live would work best or if it would be smarter to go through some pedals and put it all together through a mixer.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:59 am

RJ wrote:I haven't checked out the follow stuff yet. right now I build a lot of- well I geuss you could call them pads of sound- different levels of noise and percussion, and them play over that and switch back and forth between trumpet and laptop. I need to get some looping action going on the trumpet though. not sure if Live would work best or if it would be smarter to go through some pedals and put it all together through a mixer.
What kind of laptop are you using?

There are some neat looping plugins out there...

If you don't already have a midi floorboard, get one as soon as possible, mate.
also, be sure to read these threads on the forum, if you haven't already:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13756
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.