what to know to make software like Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simonator123

what to know to make software like Ableton

Post by simonator123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi, my name is Jared, and I am a computer science major at Missouri S&T. I really love programming, and I really love music. I would love to work for a company that made software like Ableton! If I am to make software similar to Ableton, what kind of knowledge should I have? I already know how to program in C++. What else is there?

logic_user99

Re: what to know to make software like Ableton

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:47 pm

How about 'how not to spam forums'? I'm pretty sure that nobody is going to tell you the inner workings of Live, mate! Then again, I have been wrong in the past.

You'll need a Flux Capacitor.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

ark

Post by ark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 pm

simonator123 wrote:I already know how to program in C++. What else is there?
OK, so what's the difference between an input iterator and a forward iterator, and why is the difference useful?

dum

Post by dum » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:04 pm

logic_user99 wrote:How about 'how not to spam forums'? I'm pretty sure that nobody is going to tell you the inner workings of Live, mate! Then again, I have been wrong in the past.

You'll need a Flux Capacitor.
...take a chill pill.

Simon - my suggestion would be to get into media programming environments like supercollider to get your proof of concept going. get your ideas for sequencers synths samplers etc going in something like that first, then focus on coding the program.

I'm no c++ coder though, but that's the approach I'd take.

similar programs to supercollider that you could look into are pd (pure data), csound, max/msp..
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

malutki

Post by malutki » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Well,
  • download all the DAW-demos you can get your hands on,
    to find out what they do & how they work.

read up on how the Traditional Effects (Delay, Verb, Flanger...) work.

Learn about DSP.

With all this in your head you are bound to have plenty ideas
    what kind of features you want your program to have, and most likely at least a couple of pointers on how to implement them.

Start Coding

Keep Coding & Testing

As soon as it is stable enough for public beta, come back here and post about it.
    Everybody loves a good freebie!

that is assuming you want to do your own software.
If you wish to work for an existing developer, Step one is similar,
only Step 2 is "Check for openings/job offers in Software Development"
and Step 3 "Check Requirements"

Hope that helps!
I'm going home

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 pm

signal processing theory and how to implement it in code would be very helpful.

if you want to build your own filters, flangers, and all of those effects in one day, then you need to know exactly how they work.

oh, and make sure the summing engine works :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

simonator123

Post by simonator123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:09 pm

ark, lol...I've dealt with iterators, but I don't remember all the lingo. haha.

Thanks Dum! I didn't even know programs like that existed until now. I will definitely check those out! Thanks!

ark

Post by ark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:14 pm

By the way... On rereading it, I see that my question might come across as sounding aggressive. It isn't--I'm trying to make a point. When I hear someone say "I know how to program in C++ but don't have a clue as to what it takes to get a job with a particular company," that makes me wonder whether perhaps the person who made that statement really knows all that much. Because in order to be a really good programmer--in C++ or in any other language--you need a fair amount of generalized knowledge about the kinds of problems that people use computers to solve. And with that knowledge comes an understanding of which application areas are likely to apply to developing a product such as Ableton Live.

So...your apparent lack of application domain knowledge makes me wonder whether perhaps you might not be as expert in C++ as you may think. Hence the question. (As it happens, I am pretty knowledgeable about C++, having worked worked on its development for about 20 years)

simonator123

Post by simonator123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm

This forum is updating fast! I like that!

I've heard a lot of people mention DSP. I finally got a concrete answer:
signal processing theory and how to implement it in code would be very helpful.

if you want to build your own filters, flangers, and all of those effects in one day, then you need to know exactly how they work.
Thanks. People mentioned DSP, but I wasn't sure just how useful it would be. And, for that matter, if people making Ableton really use that stuff.

Do they really use that stuff?

I've already done some job requirement searching for DAW type stuff, and it's hard to find stuff online. I've found a little, though. They wanted me to have prior experience making VST's and stuff, but how to make VST's? lol.

simonator123

Post by simonator123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Ark, I DO know a fair amount about C++. I never claimed to be an expert, though. As far as I know, making DAW's is in a completely different ballpark than other programs. Sure, there would be similar coding practices between them, but DAW's deal with audio and manipulating that audio. That's why I am making this thread...because I really dont' know for sure. I just have education guesses.

ark

Post by ark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:27 pm

simonator123 wrote:Ark, I DO know a fair amount about C++. I never claimed to be an expert, though.
What you actually said was "I already know how to program in C++." With respect, I think that unless you understand iterators--and I mean really understand them--you may not know as much as you think you know.

And I agree that programs that manipulate audio are different from programs that don't. Same for programs that manipulate video. Same for compilers. And for operating systems. There are a bunch of application domains--kinds of programs--that have their own specialized knowledge. That's what I was alluding to before.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 pm

simonator123 wrote: Thanks. People mentioned DSP, but I wasn't sure just how useful it would be. And, for that matter, if people making Ableton really use that stuff.

Do they really use that stuff?

I've already done some job requirement searching for DAW type stuff, and it's hard to find stuff online. I've found a little, though. They wanted me to have prior experience making VST's and stuff, but how to make VST's? lol.
the audio part of any DAW (which is a major part) is just a huge DSP, a digital signal processor. so yes, they use that stuff.. :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:53 pm

simonator123 wrote:Hi, my name is Jared, and I am a computer science major at Missouri S&T. I really love programming, and I really love music. I would love to work for a company that made software like Ableton! If I am to make software similar to Ableton, what kind of knowledge should I have? I already know how to program in C++. What else is there?
Perhaps your best and most useful assets would be an interest in music, an understanding ear and a large wedge of cash to finance you as you spend time developing your product for what is already a highly saturated market.

Next would be another large wedge of cash to help you market your finished product.

Perhaps you should start on something smaller than an Ableton Live alternative to get yourself off the ground.

Mr Urs Heckermann has worked wonders with his Zebra synth, (as far as I know, he was the sole coder) and is currently expanding as his reputation grows.

"Don't run before you can walk" is a good motto.

simonator123

Post by simonator123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Just to clarify (because my original post was mis-leading), I am not interested in making my own software, just working for a company that makes music software.

OK, so I am convinced that DSP is what Ableton, FL Studio, and etc. use. So, if I want to make it into one of those companies, just how important is it that I know DSP?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:27 pm

then why going away from ableton, just go for it :P

http://www.ableton.com/jobs