8.1.3 Release Notes/Bug Fixes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zigzag

Re: 8.1.3 Release Notes/Bug Fixes

Post by zigzag » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Please understand that the decision to not post changelogs was not an attempt to "whitewash" anything. We simply thought they were too technical and specific to be useful for a wide range of users.

That being said, thanks for the feedback on the topic. We're taking it all into consideration.

Best,
I'm thinking... having experienced crashes, submitted them to support.
they come back with an acknowledgment. And a NUMBER. Which I can use to see when my problem has been resolved.
That is only if we have changelogs. You cannot be possibly expecting us to be installing every single update.
Had I been doing that I wouldn't be making music but installing/backing up/reinstalling all the time.
I recommend that you give this urgent attention. You will be putting people off. And breaking a system that worked without providing an alternative.

Warm regards

Zky

Post by Zky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:43 pm

+ 1 release notes,,i would like to know what's being fixed or whats been improved in the software i use to work

please bring it back!

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:54 pm

It's over ! Check the other changelog threads.
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm

I don't get this approach to not releasing changelogs at all. You are basically asking users to install a new version WITHOUT ANY backwards compatibility with regards to set fileformats... and just take your word for it that it's better or even safe to do so?

You must be the only company with such a large user base to take this approach. I don't install stuff blindly. I even read EULA's.

I might not be technically proficient on all fields, but with this product (Ableton is prosumer rather than consumer software) I like to be in the loop on what I install. I'm sure even the parts that are too 'out there' technically can be summed up in one sentence so that even regular users can understand or gauge its impact.

Apple updates come with a lot of tech mumbo jumbo but stay human readable. Ableton needs to give some info on what's been done, period. For all we know NOTHING changed and you've been sitting on your hands these past few months.

Very, very, very disappointing.

Lars
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

drakeyboy

Post by drakeyboy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:20 pm

This is certainly a strange decision by Ableton HQ.
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Xeon
OS X 10.5.8

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm preparing release notes now.

Best,

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Best,
Good, that was an awful decision to not list the bugfixes.
Seriously bad. Great that your company is still flexible though, big ups on that!

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Well, in all fairness you can test your current setup without having to save newer versions of your projects.
True, but why would I need to do this whilst completely in the dark on the changes to the software? I might even skip a version if the changelogs turn out to be trivial.

I *always* keep a backup of my sets with every new version. I'm not disputing that practice (it's a very clever approach, in fact) or even that I could test 8.1.3 blindly, but I don't think it's cool to ask me/users to just have that faith.

But I see Ableton apparantly are preparing some changelog documentation right now, so that is cool.
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

Fullofkittens

Post by Fullofkittens » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:07 pm

I would not install a Live update without a changelog, simply because Live updates are HUGE and they take forever. Every time you update it downloads every single sample that's going into the library and sets it all up. I don't have unlimited time, I'm not waiting through that unless I have a reason to suspect that it's going to improve my life somehow.

The "too technical for users" argument doesn't even make any sense - Live users are - at minimum - people who invested several hundred bucks into a digital audio workstation. That's not a nontechnical userbase. I don't consider myself to be particularly techy but I don't remember reading anything in a Live changelog I didn't understand.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Fullofkittens wrote:I would not install a Live update without a changelog, simply because Live updates are HUGE and they take forever. Every time you update it downloads every single sample that's going into the library and sets it all up. I don't have unlimited time, I'm not waiting through that unless I have a reason to suspect that it's going to improve my life somehow.
not to mention the servers can be slow.

do you ever sleep? opportune time to download this stuff.

IMO it's not a good idea to rely on a changelog to see if something was fixed, you HAVE TO try it for yourself. case in point, Ableton said that Live 8.0 was bug free a year ago. how did those release notes treat you?
;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Fullofkittens

Post by Fullofkittens » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:28 pm

It's not the downloading, it's the unpacking and installing that takes forever. I typically set it to download while I'm at work.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Tone Deft wrote: you HAVE TO try it for yourself. case in point, Ableton said that Live 8.0 was bug free a year ago. how did those release notes treat you?
this.

LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:09 am

Fullofkittens wrote:...Live updates are HUGE and they take forever. Every time you update it downloads every single sample that's going into the library and sets it all up. I don't have unlimited time...
ermmm, when I was installing the Suite last night, the installer gave me the option of Keeping All. My installation only took a few minutes. :roll:
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

jnobody

Post by jnobody » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 am

Best,
Thanks! Release notes are important for pro users.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi folks,

Release notes have now been added to the 8.1.3 announcement post.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=141021

Best,