New Dubstep Production Course!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
swishniak
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by swishniak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 am

ciw wrote: Tell that to every classical composer, conductor or instrumentalist who has ever had music lessons.
good point, but i doubt they took "how to conduct melismatic choral music in 10 easy steps" lessons, rather more general, technical classes and private study / practice on specific genres.

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:32 pm

swishniak wrote:
ciw wrote: Tell that to every classical composer, conductor or instrumentalist who has ever had music lessons.
good point, but i doubt they took "how to conduct melismatic choral music in 10 easy steps" lessons, rather more general, technical classes and private study / practice on specific genres.
that the most stupid argument i ve ever heard.. that the clasical art has developed this kind of education is because they need robots to perform the stunt to play the classical pieces...

regarding composition and harmony the same the classical guys learn could be learned by the electronic composer..
but thats not what is offred in this course..

They teach a underground music style because it went comercial.. they try to get some of the meet by teaching it because the style is dead now... thats some kind of cultural distortion...

besides.. ther is not so much to teach about electronic music.. because learning and doing is the same there by tradition..so people actually pay to loose theire ability to be original or to invent something themself..

nobody that has created the dubstep style was in this school..

AND MANY OF THE NEW STYLES EMERGE BECAUSE PEOPLE KNOW SHIT HOW TO USE THE EQUIPMENT

anyway.. like in classical music one needs school to train robots.. to get quickly ready to flood the market with copy cat music.. tha whole biz suffers..except equipment and education dealers..

Its pretty much the same tactics the record distribution had end of the 90´s.. you cant sell 10000 crap records.. but you can sell 10000 times more crap records than good ones because there are 10000 more...
resulting in a situation nobody liked to buy any anymore and the ruin of many distributions..

People that rob the misterys of making electronic music will cause a the desease interest in making it ..ultimatly killing the biz of teaching it.AND.. the biz of selling the tools..

Ableton wake up.. if you hold on supporting the biz of selling snake oil you might win in the very short term a little but loose in the long one..
Ableton life will become a no go tool for future styles if this trend holds on...

It started with all the presets.. now a rectified rainer program and rectified training centers..

I would say there are other bugs than the ones to be found in the program itself..


If people like to do the courses nice.. but same applies for people that sign up for the army to go to afgahnistan..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

nylarch
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:55 pm
Location: brooklyn

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by nylarch » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 pm

"how to conduct melismatic choral music in 10 easy steps" lessons
Excuse me but how much is this course and where do I apply?
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

FrankieP
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:56 am

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by FrankieP » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:00 pm

3phase wrote:fucking hell he askes for 400 bucks to teach people dubstep.. do you have a serious hit record out there?

wow.. what a golden business.. you just need 10 idiots and get 4000...
Wow, where do you get off calling people idiots if they decide to spend their hard earned cash and invest it on one of these courses? 8O

I took two courses at Point Blank a couple of months ago and imo, it was well worth it. I guess that makes me a super idiot alongside 250 sumthing students that had done the same.

It's one thing to voice your opinion but to call people idiots for their choice is pretty insulting and arrogant!!!

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:12 pm

FrankieP wrote:
3phase wrote:fucking hell he askes for 400 bucks to teach people dubstep.. do you have a serious hit record out there?

wow.. what a golden business.. you just need 10 idiots and get 4000...
Wow, where do you get off calling people idiots if they decide to spend their hard earned cash and invest it on one of these courses? 8O

I took two courses at Point Blank a couple of months ago and imo, it was well worth it. I guess that makes me a super idiot alongside 250 sumthing students that had done the same.

It's one thing to voice your opinion but to call people idiots for their choice is pretty insulting and arrogant!!!

you made a dubstep course? sorry to insult you..
but people that go to school to learn how to produce an actual underground style are...

If people go for technical training there is not much to say against..even when this is not the type of people you came along to often in the past..except in theaters or national radio or so...but times are changing.. its most defenetly not rockn roll anymore..

but to teach an actual style? and people that pay for that because they actually think that will bring them further?

sorry..thats really low end


maybe idiot is a too hard word for that.. but.. my english.. is there a more gentle word for this?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

FrankieP
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:56 am

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by FrankieP » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:56 pm

3phase wrote:
FrankieP wrote:
3phase wrote:fucking hell he askes for 400 bucks to teach people dubstep.. do you have a serious hit record out there?

wow.. what a golden business.. you just need 10 idiots and get 4000...
Wow, where do you get off calling people idiots if they decide to spend their hard earned cash and invest it on one of these courses? 8O

I took two courses at Point Blank a couple of months ago and imo, it was well worth it. I guess that makes me a super idiot alongside 250 sumthing students that had done the same.

It's one thing to voice your opinion but to call people idiots for their choice is pretty insulting and arrogant!!!

you made a dubstep course? sorry to insult you..
but people that go to school to learn how to produce an actual underground style are...

If people go for technical training there is not much to say against..even when this is not the type of people you came along to often in the past..except in theaters or national radio or so...but times are changing.. its most defenetly not rockn roll anymore..

but to teach an actual style? and people that pay for that because they actually think that will bring them further?

sorry..thats really low end


maybe idiot is a too hard word for that.. but.. my english.. is there a more gentle word for this?
Just finished reading some of your posts, I am now gonna refrain myself from posting and engaging in an argument with you.

There is really no gentle word to replace the word idiot. If english is not your native tongue, may I suggest you not use it then.

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:30 pm

no problem.. cant take guys that went to dj school serious anyway
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

swishniak
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by swishniak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:24 pm

3phase wrote:
swishniak wrote:
ciw wrote: Tell that to every classical composer, conductor or instrumentalist who has ever had music lessons.
good point, but i doubt they took "how to conduct melismatic choral music in 10 easy steps" lessons, rather more general, technical classes and private study / practice on specific genres.
that the most stupid argument i ve ever heard.. that the clasical art has developed this kind of education is because they need robots to perform the stunt to play the classical pieces.....
yeah yeah - i hate the classical music institution for many reasons .. but im not against education - and i believe there are schools out there that support artists by offering technical skills / training / history that wont corrupt whatever creative individuality they might have.

maybe its the balance between ignorance and innocence. . and im not defending dubstep state university at alll.

swishniak
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by swishniak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:25 pm

nylarch wrote:
"how to conduct melismatic choral music in 10 easy steps" lessons
Excuse me but how much is this course and where do I apply?
you got 400 bucks? 8)

Doctor Doctor
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by Doctor Doctor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Well it's good to see so much discussion going on, even if there is a fair degree of negativity. But I would have to put this down to some level of misunderstanding.

We work extremely hard to develop courses to the highest standards possible, and we believe the pricec we charge is fair and just. All of the staff at Point Blank are very serious about music and the last thing we want to do is stifle the industry, in fact we believe that we are able to inspire our students' creativity and arm them with the skills and techniques needed to efficiently create thier own unique and original tracks.

All of the tutors here are industry expereinced professional producers with a whole host of releases and production credits to their names and have released on some of the best labels and worked with some amazing artists. For a full list of our tutors and their work credits check out:

http://www.pointblankonline.net/about-p ... tutors.php

We have been teaching music production skills for 15 years and have won awards for our efforts, I don't want to sound defensive but we pride our selves on offering a lot more than you standard 'video tutorials from an online course'. We have amazing feedback from our students which can be found here:

http://www.pointblankonline.net/about-p ... onials.php

Anyway, thats probably enough rambling from me!

If anyone has any questions just let me know, and please continue to comment freely as all feedback is welcome and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading,

Luke
Point Blank

slippage
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by slippage » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Personally I think there is nothing wrong with trying to emulate a specific style but the fact is to pay $400 to do it sounds silly when all of the information out there can be gained by reading forums and watching tutorials online. If it is worth $400 to not have to search this out then that seems like a cost benefit choice that you should make.

Here is a tutorial by Benga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b69DS_id-Y
And here is one by Rusko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rDC1ku ... re=related

Neither with Ableton but if you are having trouble extracting the information and applying it to Ableton, you might wanna think about taking an intro Ableton class before you get into genre specific courses.

Doctor Doctor
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by Doctor Doctor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am

Again, we don't simply offer a video tutorial of someone making dubstep in Ableton. Our course offers the opportuinty to upload you tracks/projects week by week to your pro producer tutor, who will each week create a personalised video of them going through your track/project analsying it and offering technical and creative advice on how it may be improved.

This service is totally unique to our courses and is designed to be emulate the experience of studying at our London studios. You are actually being taught by your tutor as you progress rather than simply watching them, you are in constant communication with your tutor and classmates discussing your work.

In addition to this service tutors also host a weekly live Masterclass where students can discuss music industry topics, raise technical questions and share information. Course materials including video tutorials, project files, audio resources and detailed course notes are available to students for a full year from enrolment.

So I hope this goes someway to providing an insight into why we feel that the prices we charge for our courses are fair and just.

Please continue to comment freely and ask any questions, I'll get back to you right away.

Many Thanks,

Luke
Point Blank

tw1nstates
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Actually I think that people shouldn't even learn to read. F*ck em, no teaching whatsoever.

No english,

no maths,

no science, biology, physics, chemistry,

no engineering,

no software engineering

Everything should be learnt yourself again from the start.

The whole of our society is built upon the shoulders of others.

Everything you use is the product of this system.

To complain that people are being taught music production or taught to dj is just stupid.

Brilliant, we are going to have a whole generation of kids that are really good and have super fly skills.

I think 3 phase is just very bitter cos they are getting it all quicker than he did. . .

Dude, it doesn't matter. Just means that you have to keep on your toes!

Experience will always serve you well if tempered with an inquisitive mind and an openness to embrance change. . .

getting stuck on the old days 9which were mostly shit lets face it - good at the time but 905 or more of music doesn't cut the mustard anymore).
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 pm

tw1nstates wrote:Actually I think that people shouldn't even learn to read. F*ck em, no teaching whatsoever.

No english,

no maths,

no science, biology, physics, chemistry,

no engineering,

no software engineering

Everything should be learnt yourself again from the start.

The whole of our society is built upon the shoulders of others.

Everything you use is the product of this system.

To complain that people are being taught music production or taught to dj is just stupid.

Brilliant, we are going to have a whole generation of kids that are really good and have super fly skills.

I think 3 phase is just very bitter cos they are getting it all quicker than he did. . .

Dude, it doesn't matter. Just means that you have to keep on your toes!

Experience will always serve you well if tempered with an inquisitive mind and an openness to embrance change. . .

getting stuck on the old days 9which were mostly shit lets face it - good at the time but 905 or more of music doesn't cut the mustard anymore).
bingo, i deeply believe that own experience is from utter importance and not replaceable whatsoever, but if i would not had the luck of an incredible mentor and the one or other guy next to him on my way i have learned from i would not anywhere be near where i am now!

i know that a lot of my personal urge to pass knowledge on and helping others comes from having received so much over the years myself from others...
i want to pass that on...

that's teaching... well i think it's a very good thing.
*** Image GAFM ***

chaibuka
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: spencerport, ny

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by chaibuka » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Doctor Doctor wrote:Again, we don't simply offer a video tutorial of someone making dubstep in Ableton. Our course offers the opportuinty to upload you tracks/projects week by week to your pro producer tutor, who will each week create a personalised video of them going through your track/project analsying it and offering technical and creative advice on how it may be improved.

This service is totally unique to our courses and is designed to be emulate the experience of studying at our London studios. You are actually being taught by your tutor as you progress rather than simply watching them, you are in constant communication with your tutor and classmates discussing your work.

In addition to this service tutors also host a weekly live Masterclass where students can discuss music industry topics, raise technical questions and share information. Course materials including video tutorials, project files, audio resources and detailed course notes are available to students for a full year from enrolment.

So I hope this goes someway to providing an insight into why we feel that the prices we charge for our courses are fair and just.

Please continue to comment freely and ask any questions, I'll get back to you right away.

Many Thanks,


Luke
Point Blank
I simply couldn't spend that much money. However I would really be interested in just the video tutorials for a lower price.

Post Reply