New Dubstep Production Course!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Emissary

Re: New Dubstep Production Course!

Post by Emissary » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Dubstep? what is this 2006? EPiCDubZ is where its at now, Grimey bass mixed with Euphoric leads and drumbeats that stumble from slow and juttery to fast and over quantized. You should see the dance moves

cmcpress

Post by cmcpress » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Emissary wrote: EPiCDubZ is where its at now
Anyfing with Z in the title to replace an S is wannabe Kewl, lyk 4eva..

Actually anything with EPIC shows you the genre is dead.

Epic Rock
Epic trance

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Grimey bass mixed with Euphoric leads and drumbeats that stumble from slow and juttery to fast and over quantized
yep that's about right. Someone started calling it Bro-step which fits.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm

ciw wrote:
macmurphy wrote: I've been thinking about this and i've come to the conclusion that if you need to be taught how to produce in a particular style then you probably have no clue about that type of music in the first place. In which case you should steer clear.
I disagree. I think it's possible to appreciate a certain style of music, understand it and what you're aiming for when producing it, but to have not mastered the technicalities of achieving "that sound". While that sound may be a cliche, you have to understand it so you can move on from it and do what you want to do, otherwise you'll be disappointed that your own productions, despite being innovative, don't have the quality of the existing classics.

Like Miles Davis said (maybe?) you have to learn the rules so you can break them properly.

Not that I actually like dubstep, but that's irrelevant to the discussion...
interesting example. miles learned by doing, playing and rarely stayed in one stylistic mode for long. granted, he studied, but finished at a young age and continued learning by surrounding himself with creative and challenging people . . he practically created 3 genres by himself (cool jazz / post bop / fusion).

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:35 pm

ciw wrote:
macmurphy wrote: I've been thinking about this and i've come to the conclusion that if you need to be taught how to produce in a particular style then you probably have no clue about that type of music in the first place. In which case you should steer clear.
I disagree. I think it's possible to appreciate a certain style of music, understand it and what you're aiming for when producing it, but to have not mastered the technicalities of achieving "that sound". While that sound may be a cliche, you have to understand it so you can move on from it and do what you want to do, otherwise you'll be disappointed that your own productions, despite being innovative, don't have the quality of the existing classics.

Like Miles Davis said (maybe?) you have to learn the rules so you can break them properly.

Not that I actually like dubstep, but that's irrelevant to the discussion...
and who is defining the rules? one guy uses a wobbely base.. not the first time in electronic music btw..
and than its a rule? problem with theese artifical trends is that they have to stick to a fixed set of rules while real new genres actually show a great diversity in sub styles in theier first years.. you know thats something real when it is diverse, not easy to cattegorize and fresh...

does that really applies to dubstep? or is it the same as with minimal..just techno in the end.. 140 bpm wobble bass tecno versus 125 bpm wabbel bass techno..

however..booth are strong sub genres with some outstandig tracks..but are there really rules one should learn?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

ciw

Post by ciw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:54 pm

3phase wrote: however..booth are strong sub genres with some outstandig tracks..but are there really rules one should learn?
Maybe not, but there might be sounds one wants to achieve. And if I want to make e.g. a smooth rolling psytrance bassline I'm better off asking a good psy producer how to do it than a house, breaks or dubstep producer... not that there isn't some overlap but nobody does everything, and it helps to learn from someone who is capable of doing what you want to learn. Of course what you do with those sounds is up to you.

@swishniak that is interesting to know. I don't actually know much about jazz btw, just heard that quote and thought it appropriate.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:07 pm

ciw wrote: And if I want to make e.g. a smooth rolling psytrance bassline I'm better off asking a good psy producer how to do it .

no.. get a 12 years old roland mc 303 and use one of the unerasable preset patterns...

manwell

Post by manwell » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 pm

I completely disagree that dubstep is dead. I think it's never been healthier, the fact that it's all over 1xtra and on the cover of CM means that the genre has matured enough to have people trying to cash in. Yes Loefah, Coki etc. made (and still make) great music but the genre has completely evolved, some people make commercial ravey stuff but others are pushing sound much further than ever.

I think the problem is that when people use the term dubstep it doesn't really give an accurate idea of what style they mean. Dubstep is everything from Scuba to Akira Kiteshi, Joker to Broken Note, Cardopusher to TRG, Slugabed to RSD (I could go on and on). All completely different and all dubstep but I don't think any of these guys can be called commercial or ravey. For every 1 producer who gets some commercial success there are 100 more making incredibly interesting stuff. Check out labels like Black Acre, Hotflush, Planet Mu, Boka, and Lo Dubs.

As for the course, it's very important to 'learn the rules' but those apply to most genres particularly electronic music. Learning how to make kicks and bass interact properly for example is crucial but thats true for every genre. At the end of the day some people will learn to make music to a template and others will take that knowledge and experiment.

tadpole fingers

Post by tadpole fingers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:18 pm

It would be cheaper to sit down with a tune of favorite favorite style and a favorite DAW and spend as long as you need to reverse engineer it. Then possibly get a video on general mixing/mastering.

Then go to space camp and learn how to be a space cadet.

bobninehedges

Post by bobninehedges » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:02 am

If you need to take a course you'll never be any good.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 am

fucking hell he askes for 400 bucks to teach people dubstep.. do you have a serious hit record out there?

wow.. what a golden business.. you just need 10 idiots and get 4000...

and thats easy..8O

question to the management... is this kind of spam realy program related? can you move it to the lounge maybe?

bobninehedges

Post by bobninehedges » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 am

I've known a few people who have been suckered in by these kind of 'courses' and they seem to be very lucrative for the course owners but of limited use to the pupils.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:53 am

bobninehedges wrote:I've known a few people who have been suckered in by these kind of 'courses' and they seem to be very lucrative for the course owners but of limited use to the pupils.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

the usualy ways in the art business.. just that they is made this days with the people that want to do music not with the music itself anymore :-/

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 am

3phase wrote:
ciw wrote: And if I want to make e.g. a smooth rolling psytrance bassline I'm better off asking a good psy producer how to do it .
no.. get a 12 years old roland mc 303 and use one of the unerasable preset patterns...
OK I haven't heard those you have piqued my curiosity :)

But that is by the by. As is this dubstep course because what I didn't say is that I think 300 quid is waaaaay over the top for what they're offering. That kind of money could buy several hours of one-on-one tuition from a really good producer. But if these dubstep people can sell it at that price, good luck to them I say.

I find it funny how on the one hand there are threads all over the place about how arbitrary equipment/style limitations can foster creativity, while at the same time people react so strongly against the idea of producing music to fit a genre. Which is just the kind of limitation which can foster creativity, though far from being arbitrary it carries the advantage of having a bunch of people already out there comfortable with the idea of listening to that genre, some venues in which to perform it, and some tried and tested techniques for getting a fat sound (which most listeners only notice in absentia) so you can concentrate on adding your own individuality to the recipe (which is what people tend to appreciate).

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 am

tadpole fingers wrote:It would be cheaper to sit down with a tune of favorite favorite style and a favorite DAW and spend as long as you need to reverse engineer it.
Yes.
Then possibly get a video on general mixing/mastering.
Not so useful imo.
someone else wrote: If you need lessons you'll never be any good.
Tell that to every classical composer, conductor or instrumentalist who has ever had music lessons.