Total Noob!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MACKENZIE303

Total Noob!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by MACKENZIE303 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:36 pm

How do folks, im now 30, and im really wanting to get into music production and DJing using ableton, more for my own enjoyment than anything else and Ableton seems to be a good place to start,, I love all kinds of music, from Techno to Drum and bass and everything inbetween and outside the box. I DJ'd a bit in my bedroom, still have my 1210's and a djm 600, but havent bought records for ages and never really became all that good. Ive kinda been left behind as far as all the new gadgets and programs you get these days, but ive been aware of some of the things that are out there.

So im sure this question has been asked before, but where do I start with regards to buying stuff? I was thinking of a basic ableton package (maybe upgrade at a later point)
What laptop do i go for? what spec?
what controller? or do i leave that for later?
does it work with itunes?

anyhelp much appreciated!!
cheers!!!!!!!!!!

dhamlin

Re: Total Noob!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dhamlin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm

I come new here too,you search is right on screen no? I search is good but many page of information do search for,all answer for setup you make a choice,I help you friend,

MACKENZIE303

Post by MACKENZIE303 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:05 pm

I did search but never came up with too much? Could you post a link to some good pages?

COSM

Post by COSM » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Hey Mate!

Welcome to the forums. First off I say good choice by going with Ableton, obviously I am baised but it's a great place to start.

First thing you will need to do is download and activate your 14 day trial of Ableton, should be enough to give you a good idea of whether you are into the software or not.

The tutorials that come with it are quite good, and can walk you through the basics.

If you are interested in DJing with Ableton, I've put together a set you can download and have a play with right away. It has tracks all chopped up ready to go, and effects to mess with etc. There's also a video explaining how it all works. It's all free

Here's the direct download link http://cosm.co.nz/ableton/djmegaset/Tom ... %201.0.zip

The video is here http://vimeo.com/3773783

I would recommend getting a controller a little later, even just a few weeks, once you have a feeling for what direction you want to go in as there is a lot of stuff out there.

You can drag and drop music from iTunes into Ableton Live no problem.

Good luck !!

MACKENZIE303

Post by MACKENZIE303 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks, I appreciate that,, i'll get on it, what should i buy PC or MAC?

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:32 pm

MACKENZIE303 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate that,, i'll get on it, what should i buy PC or MAC?
Mac. Always a Mac. You can pick up a White Macbook (2.16Ghz or there abouts) for around £450/£500. Fantastic machines, they 'just work' and even an older model won't become out of date like a PC will.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

dhamlin

Post by dhamlin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 pm

MACKENZIE303 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate that,, i'll get on it, what should i buy PC or MAC?
Is prefer for it own lifestyle,you come on PC no problem,you come on MAC no problem,you do is the music good you get the women,or you get the men, i dont know judge anyone,

Post by 102455 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:43 pm

You ask "PC or Mac?". Well what are you more familiar with?

Which have you used before? Presumably this will be PC running Windows, because they're everywhere.

I'd suggest that if you are familiar with using a PC, go with that.

If you have no previous computer experience, or have used Macs, then go with Mac.