Overdubbing Automation In Session View

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
MrBen

Overdubbing Automation In Session View

Post by MrBen » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi,

OK so I have 1 MIDI track with Analog in it. In the Arrangement view I have Global Record on, OVR on and
the Loop Switch on (loop is 4 bars).

I hit some notes and get a 4 bar melody going....fine.
I then fiddle with a few Analog knobs and they get recorded too....great.

The trouble is when the loop then comes round again, even though "OVR" is on, the automation I have recorded
gets wiped out. The notes themselves do not however which is what I expected to happen with the automation too.

Annoying. I know you can't record automation into Clips which is why I'm trying the above which doesn't
work either. From what I can see once you have recorded one lot of automation you are stuck with it. You can't then
add to it on the fly. Turning off Global Record prevents this from happening but then you can't record ANYTHING extra!!

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

humnumb

Re: Overdubbing Automation In Session View

Post by humnumb » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 pm

MrBen wrote:Any suggestions?
Get Maschine. Record automation in real-time by twiddling knobs. Drag and drop as audio or midi right into Live's session view. Easy Peasy.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:42 pm

"Get Maschine" is becoming the new "Get a Mac"
Drums

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:18 pm

MrBen wrote:The trouble is when the loop then comes round again, even though "OVR" is on, the automation I have recorded gets wiped out.
yup, frustrating. one of my Live automation gripes (i have many) is its lack of write modes. it only has one, and that's the destroy-all-on-2nd-pass type, which is a total buzzkill when you're wanting to get automation into looping parts in arrange.

pretty much all other daw apps have the standard automation modes: Read Only, Touch, Latch, and the destructive (and Live's only) Write mode. it's the Touch mode that's really amiss in Live.
Logic Manual wrote:Touch mode

If a channel strip or an external (touch-sensitive) automation controller is touched, the existing track automation data of the active parameter is replaced by any controller movements—for as long as the fader or knob is touched. When you release the controller, the automation parameter returns to its original (recorded) value.

Touch is the most useful mode for creating a mix, and is directly comparable to “riding the faders” on a hardware mixing console. It allows you to correct and improve the mix at any time, when automation is active.