Remote SL MKii 25 and Live 8.1.3 (an angry post)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gusc

Remote SL MKii 25 and Live 8.1.3 (an angry post)

Post by gusc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:31 am

Yes, I will be ranting allot here.

SO I bought this beautiful peace of hardware and downloaded 1.5GB of software to be completely let down. I'm really sorry to say that but "the new integration" is a complete sh*&%. Or did I miss something? :)

First of ... the LCD screen and all this response thingy would be great if they showed me everything on touch - yes they do, but they do it only for sliders and those 8 LED-ringed-encoders and only for the devices that I select WITH A MOUSE. Where is the cycle-around-devices button?

Second ... the same LCD and LED rings - If I map one of those encoders to some knob deep inside the instrument/effect rack madness - this encoder looses any feedback about current value and LCD displays still the same rack parameter which it did before. At least some device focusing in Live would be useful (on touch or on move) - show me the device I'm blindly controlling now!

Third ... those 8 pots down here - well you can assign them to anything, but what's the use of LCD if it does not show any clue to what this pot is assigned to and the value of it.

Fourth ... pages and all those side buttons. Well I understand that some of customers could have this controller as the only controller, thats why the buttons on the left are made as scene select/launch/stop buttons, but why there is no feature to turn this of and make them as value preview indicators. As I own a launchpad and I can launch clips and scenes from that beauty. It would really give a good response in combination to LCD to see which row of encoders/pots/buttons the LCD is currently displaying and you could use them to see for example what drum pads are assigned to.

Fifth ... again those side buttons. Who the hell uses sliders for Paning? I understand about the slider multi-functionality for volume and send controll, but more logical use for pan control would be those 8 pots under 8 encoders.

So summing it all up SL MKii integration is nothing more than "rack everything and use only 8 encoders, and do everything else the oldschool style - taping a paper under the control". That really made me sad, because I spent my last money on this device hoping to finally get something portable to go around and do my gigs - now I have just stripped down version of my old Axiom 61 - yes I paid 300EUR just to drop 3 kilos of weight :)
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Core i5 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
M-Audio Axiom 61
Novation Launchpad
Novation Remote 25SL MkII
Echo Audiofire 4
OS X Yosemite, Ableton Suite 9, Propellerheads Reason 4

Zygi

Re: Remote SL MKii 25 and Live 8.1.3 (an angry post)

Post by Zygi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 am

I felt quite the same when I was testing zero SL mkII just before the famous integration. Seems like nothing has changed. Suxxx.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Its called MARKETING PLOY

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Does this happen after the firmware update required by novation to be 8.1.3 compatible?
It seems the two companies were getting closer after the Launchpad release... this is really a show stopper! :o
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

gusc

Post by gusc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Yes I did a Firmware update through the Automap 3.4.1 software - now it's v1.2.05.

I'm left with 3 options:
1. Sell this my freshly bought SL MKii
2. Apply for a job at Ableton :D
3. Try to Decompile all that's in MIDI Remote Scripts directory and write my own remote script (which I'm not sure will work out).

:(

Has anyone of those who wrote their own scripts (for example Novation Nocturn script) managed to decompile the Framework?
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Core i5 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
M-Audio Axiom 61
Novation Launchpad
Echo Audiofire 4

Post by avatarspace » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Gusc,

So no cycle-around-devices or track selecting like the Akai APC 40? That guy on the novation website full integration page video, He doesn't even touch his laptop. Have you asked tech support how to cycle around devices with the new update? Do you wish you purchased an APC 40 insted?

gusc

Post by gusc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Nope, you can just scroll through sections in one device using the left side page buttons. And if you have more than 8 tracks you can scroll through mixer pages (1 page = 8 tracks) with right side page buttons.

A for APC40 - No thank you. As I said I own a Launchpad for clip launching and I have also Axiom 61 (not pro) which I used with classical MIDI mapping and labeling them with a pen :)
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Core i5 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
M-Audio Axiom 61
Novation Launchpad
Echo Audiofire 4

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:54 pm

gusc wrote:Nope, you can just scroll through sections in one device using the left side page buttons. And if you have more than 8 tracks you can scroll through mixer pages (1 page = 8 tracks) with right side page buttons.

A for APC40 - No thank you. As I said I own a Launchpad for clip launching and I have also Axiom 61 (not pro) which I used with classical MIDI mapping and labeling them with a pen :)
what do you mean "no cycle"?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 pm

I had the Remote SL too but moved on to LiveControl and Maschine (which has many instant mapping Live templates) and couldn't be happier. Still have the Nocturn though which is irreplaceable because of guille's remote midi script.

gusc

Post by gusc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:23 pm

3dot... wrote:what do you mean "no cycle"?
That there is NO button to switch between devices in currently selected track AND except for arm button there is also no way to simply scroll through tracks :(
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Core i5 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
M-Audio Axiom 61
Novation Launchpad
Echo Audiofire 4

Post by avatarspace » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:42 pm

gusc wrote:
3dot... wrote:what do you mean "no cycle"?
That there is NO button to switch between devices in currently selected track AND except for arm button there is also no way to simply scroll through tracks :(
Have you asked tech support? Again that guy in the video looks like he is scrolling through devices. And he doesn't even touch the laptop.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:49 pm

This whole "new" integration of the mkII and Live 8.1.3 is nonsense. It's no more functionality than we had 3 years ago with the mkI. oooh, there are LED rings now. They didn't work with ableton when the mkII first came out. That's all that was fixed really.

I love the Novation SLs for Automap universal. For VSTs. That's it. The Ableton 'integration' has nothing on the APC.
Professional Shark Jumper.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:12 pm

[quote="glitchrock-buddha"] It's no more functionality than we had 3 years ago with the mkI. oooh, there are LED rings now. quote]

THIS

bynoe

Post by bynoe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:29 pm

I have a Mark 1 SL and I love the integration, but getting rid of the fader screen on the Mark 2 was the most ridiculous thing Novation have ever done.

gusc

Post by gusc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:35 pm

bynoe wrote:I have a Mark 1 SL and I love the integration, but getting rid of the fader screen on the Mark 2 was the most ridiculous thing Novation have ever done.
The price we pay to get touch sensitive knobs and faders - which by the way are great feature from my point of view, but then again - IT'S NOT SUPPORTED BY ABLETON!!! :evil:

The funny part is that using SL MkII without remote control "integration" gives more feedback than with it, because then side buttons work as I expected and touch sensitivity gave me response on everything.

I just have to say FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :cry:
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Core i5 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
M-Audio Axiom 61
Novation Launchpad
Echo Audiofire 4