What soundcard to use with Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jalber

What soundcard to use with Ableton?

Post by jalber » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi,

I have Live installed on my work PC, and since I travel a lot would like to work on mixes in the evenings away from home.
I'm looking for the smallest possible soundcard that simply lets me listen to what I'm working on, that's as light as possible for travel purposes.
Any recommendations?
What's the minimum spec for a soundcard compatible with Live?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,
jalber

marconk

Re: What soundcard to use with Ableton?

Post by marconk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:17 pm

I have heard good things about the Native Instruments audio 2 DJ.
It has 2 outputs so one to headphones (for cueing) and one for going out to a speaker.
I don't have it but I have always liked the look of it.
Hope that helps.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:31 pm

jalber wrote: I'm looking for the smallest possible soundcard ...that's as light as possible for travel purposes.
The Echo Indigo IOx has the smallest footprint of all. With solid drivers.
The smallest, decent USB solution is the M-Audio Transit, but there have been issues with their drivers on Windows.

The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

Pyro Z

Post by Pyro Z » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:13 pm

There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I have this T.C. Electronic http://www.tcelectronic.com/desktopkonnekt6.asp
its small. maybe not the smallest but is built sturdy, sounds great and is comfortable to use. the heads up interface is nice on it too. it doesn't have phono jacks though.

if you're looking for something to let you listen though and not really do anything else input wise, just tweak a level/pan/effect, you may already be set. Your on board sound card.. don't underrate just because it doesn't have an "industry" name/logo on it.

i think the real answer to your question would have to come from more data on your end. what are you trying to do?

mix a few MIDI tracks?
mix a few Audio tracks?
both?

create new beats/patterns on the fly?
edit beats/patterns on the fly?
both?

?? I only ask because you don't need an additional sound card based on the info you provided.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:20 pm

I second the echo iox. excellent drivers and really good sound for the size of the card. ultra portable and it has a decent headphone amp also. I got mine for less then half the price second hand on ebay. I had the PCMCIA version before it which was just the same.

Dink

Post by Dink » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 am

I have a Kontrol 1 from Native instruments and the thing is solid. Comes with Ableton presets and has the ability to attach 4 monitors on 2 separate tracks. I would read in to products and what they are best suited to what you are trying to accomplish before jumping in to a purchase. Presonus products have been known in the past to cause interference, so take that in to account unless you read other wise. Remember cheap is not always a bad thing, but consider the functions.

I must say the TC piece looks nice bro
Ableton Live Suite 8
NI Komplete 6 pack
Akai APC40 & MPK 25
NI Kontrol 1
KRK G2 Rokit 5's
Sure SM58

soundcloud.com/dink-1

Pyro Z

Post by Pyro Z » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:11 am

Hey don't hate on my PreSonus. I love my FSP. lol :)

What type of interference are we talking about exactly? Electromagnetic? I've never had an issue with this. Though I don't own a FireStudio Mobile for lots of testing, I don't see why it would be any difference. Don't confuse it for the FireBox....it's a completely different beast.
There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks!

SongArtist

Post by SongArtist » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:27 am

I use an old card; Edirol FA-66 firewire, (PC: XP.32, Quad Q6600, 2.Gig-Ram).

The FA-66 has superb solid drivers; no issues at all and round trip latency is hardly noticeable.

I start off using Ableton 'Live' then mixdown using another DAW, sometimes my mixes would consist of up to 50 tracks with a boat load of effects and mastering plugins (T-Racks3), honestly it all runs very smoothly.

The downfall; the FA-66 mic pres could be a little better.

One day I may upgrade to Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP

DiamondCasanova

Post by DiamondCasanova » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:37 am

The Echo unit looks cool, but only 1 pair of of Stereo Outs. You should get at least 2 pairs.

I would also go for something USB powered.

Although there ware FW powered boxes, you have to be careful b/c most laptops only come with the smaller FW connectors which do NOT power the box, hence external adapter.

Edirol should be pretty solid.

Ideally a USB powered Audio/MIDI interface with a smallish keyboard/control surface.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Edirol fa66 here. Love it. Sturdy and no problems.

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:30 pm

lexicon alpha here.

cheap
effective
gets job done

evaodland

Post by evaodland » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Creative x-fi USB 2.0

it is a very slick piece of hardware. I use on my MacBook White unibody (not for macs but works anyway)

It does 24/96 input and output...has two stereo in, and two stereo outs (RCA pairs) as well as a center sub channel out.

It does 5.1...

and it is under $60 dollars and has a big volume knob on it (that works in Winderz...not Mac)

It sounds most excellent...and I have not had any audio issues with it...

Mac was plug and play with a tweak of the MIDI Config Utility app...if you wanted more than simple stereo out.

I use Live Intro 8.1.3 right now and that is limited to 2 in 2 out...so this device if working for me

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Pyro Z wrote:Hey don't hate on my PreSonus. I love my FSP. lol :)

What type of interference are we talking about exactly? Electromagnetic? I've never had an issue with this. Though I don't own a FireStudio Mobile for lots of testing, I don't see why it would be any difference. Don't confuse it for the FireBox....it's a completely different beast.
I was thinking about getting a FireBox, what are the big differences? I'll mostly be using it to record electric guitars and mics, and output to different sources(guitar amps, monitors, pa), maybe some dj stuff using outs to a pa and a cue. Thanks for the input!!

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Sun May 02, 2010 3:32 am

I have the M-Audio transit, it is great, but if you have a tight budget, asio4all.com is free and does the job well!
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo