Ableton to Serato: The Bridge

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Soulution

Ableton to Serato: The Bridge

Post by Soulution » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I wasn't able to find the answer to this question on the ableton site so...

Question: Was wondering if ableton controllers will be recognized by SSL or Itch when the Bridge is officially released
Always open to criticism, please do check out my tracks and let me know what you think!
http://soundcloud.com/ron-soul-oh

Home studio:
Ableton Live 8 Suite (Mac OSX Lion)
Sound card: M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Monitors: KRK VXT-8
Other: Akai MPK49

Trypset

Re: Ableton to Serato: The Bridge

Post by Trypset » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:04 pm

serato allows midi mapping, so if the controller sends out cc's it should be fine
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:07 pm

The big question is: "What holes does the audio come out of?"

a) Only Serato interfaces
b) Any audio interface

There's been no answer to this one as of yet.

Soulution

Post by Soulution » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 am

itch doesn't allow for mapping, so with the bridge would that change in order to allow for ableton controllers though?
Always open to criticism, please do check out my tracks and let me know what you think!
http://soundcloud.com/ron-soul-oh

Home studio:
Ableton Live 8 Suite (Mac OSX Lion)
Sound card: M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Monitors: KRK VXT-8
Other: Akai MPK49

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:The big question is: "What holes does the audio come out of?"

b) Any audio interface

guessing that when ableton is inside of serato I am guessing that the audio will be coming out of the serato interfaces. That would just make the most sense.

Although I'd love if it came back thru ableton so we could just record everything.

Either way we need to start public beta testing so we can get this party started
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:The big question is: "What holes does the audio come out of?"

b) Any audio interface

On the Ableton panel inside of serato below the ableton Master track is a little set of routing buttons. L, R, and Mute. L and R choose weather Lives master out is coming out of serato SL's left output or right output while being used in internal mode (that is, using Live but 'without' it actually being loaded onto one of serato's decks). The Mutebutton is used if you don't plan on using live in internal mode and will ONLY output audio if 1st loaded onto one of Serato's decks.
So, it is basically possible to use serato as normal yet 'Share' one of it's deck outputs (either L or R) with Live's Master output. Now to really make this work You will of course want / need a dedicated control surface to control Live's track volume at the very Very Least. Now in this setup, To actually beatmatch live to a deck already playing in Serato you will also need some dedicated controls for Live's Tempo control and pitch nudge buttons.
Hope that was helpful.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 pm

You'll need a Rane interface in order to use Serato Scratch Live. When you're using Ableton Live inside of SSL, the sound output will all be out of SSL. When you're using Mixtape, you'll get an asl file of the mix that you record in SSL, which you can then open and edit in Live.

Globaldj

Post by Globaldj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:47 pm

David Abravanel wrote:You'll need a Rane interface in order to use Serato Scratch Live. When you're using Ableton Live inside of SSL, the sound output will all be out of SSL. When you're using Mixtape, you'll get an asl file of the mix that you record in SSL, which you can then open and edit in Live.

do not upgrade yet, unless you are ok with sound drop outs. :roll: :roll: :roll: great job Ableton!
Living in a world of Graphic Design and Music Production

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 am

Hi,
Just to clarify, you can also select your own audio interface in Ableton Live, the sound doesn't have to go through Serato Scratch Live.

Regarding MIDI Controllers, you select the APC40 or Launchpad as you normally would in Ableton Live. The 'ring' in Ableton Live will be synced with the Ableton view in Serato Scratch Live.

Can you send MIDI from a controller to Serato Scratch Live and Ableton Live at the same time? It depends. PCs only allow you to access one program at a time with a MIDI controller (unless you use 3rd party MIDI routing solutions). Macs allow you to access both, but you want to be real careful not to have conflicting MIDI messages onstage...\
Best,
Jesse