how do you start work

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Alexander

Post by Alexander » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:39 pm

the best way for me to start is without a computer 8O

i like improvising on my fantom-s workstation, or create a new sound on a hardware synth. the most important thing is: NO COMPUTER at the beginning. a computer is distracting and most of the times full of problems.

after i´ve recorded some some basic ideas on, i switch to live and try to make those ideas sound less melodic and more agressive.
P4 2,6 GHz || IBook G3 800

David

Post by David » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:53 pm

In terms of getting into the zone it can happy at anytime, when i'm happy, when I'm sad. Normally its an unconcious thing that just happens. However, one thing that makes me get in the zone more is when its night time. Most of the tunes I've decided to keep I've made late at night, usually between the hours of 11pm to 3am. Everyone else has gone to bed and the world is asleep.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:26 pm

Yes night time always works. I like 7pm as well, that tends to be a productive/creative time if I don't get distracted.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:31 pm

David wrote:In terms of getting into the zone it can happy at anytime, when i'm happy, when I'm sad. Normally its an unconcious thing that just happens. However, one thing that makes me get in the zone more is when its night time. Most of the tunes I've decided to keep I've made late at night, usually between the hours of 11pm to 3am. Everyone else has gone to bed and the world is asleep.
yep this is why I feel it can be so easy to have unhealthy habits - night time is definitely the most peaceful time when you can get left alone, but the temptation to substances is far greater....

i find during the day I often end up doing more geeky or internetty things and it's not usually till night time I get really creative

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:59 am

I find playing shows to be the best way to force myself to write material.

Y'know, agree to play a bunch of shows, and then write new stuff for them at the last possible minute.

also, i think it's important to play a lot without worrying about what you're doing. Sometimes i just want to fuck around with a synth or freestyle over an instrumental and i think those are perfectly legitimate things to do. I find that everything musical I do helps me develop.

-m

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:43 am

forge wrote:
David wrote:In terms of getting into the zone it can happy at anytime, when i'm happy, when I'm sad. Normally its an unconcious thing that just happens. However, one thing that makes me get in the zone more is when its night time. Most of the tunes I've decided to keep I've made late at night, usually between the hours of 11pm to 3am. Everyone else has gone to bed and the world is asleep.
yep this is why I feel it can be so easy to have unhealthy habits - night time is definitely the most peaceful time when you can get left alone, but the temptation to substances is far greater....

i find during the day I often end up doing more geeky or internetty things and it's not usually till night time I get really creative
Shit, I could have written that! Geekier admin/tech/internet things by day, creative things by night. Aaah, so it's not just me, that is a relief because it is annoying how genuinely concerned or judgemental people have been about my sleeping habits - as if it should matter to anyone else anyway! I have the same 24 hours, I just start them in a different place.

Actually, some of my most productive times have been when I have taken this to extremes, running on a 36hr cycle, not sustainable for very long, but it has proved to be useful quite often, and I must have gained a few "bonus days" like that. Some people like mornings and good for them, but I ain't one of them! But maybe I am just subconsciously conforming to the non-conformist muso stereotype 8O :D

forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:50 am

Moonburnt wrote:
forge wrote:

Shit, I could have written that! Geekier admin/tech/internet things by day, creative things by night. Aaah, so it's not just me, that is a relief because it is annoying how genuinely concerned or judgemental people have been about my sleeping habits - as if it should matter to anyone else anyway! I have the same 24 hours, I just start them in a different place.

Actually, some of my most productive times have been when I have taken this to extremes, running on a 36hr cycle, not sustainable for very long, but it has proved to be useful quite often, and I must have gained a few "bonus days" like that. Some people like mornings and good for them, but I ain't one of them! But maybe I am just subconsciously conforming to the non-conformist muso stereotype 8O :D
:D :wink: you are a fellow gemini after all are you not??

My biggest concern is the non-sustainability of it all - it does catch up with you, and with the whole substance thing you can feel your health seeping away

I'm sure I just have to break the bad habits and then it will become more sustainable - Loads of people work dodgy hours - like you said it's often hard for people to acknowledge your hours, but that's more about whther what you do is a valid profession - If you were a taxi driver or security guard they wouldnt think twice - it's just with musos there's so many hours you have to put in with no timesheet or invoice you can hand in for alot of it so it's often totally derided by most out in the 'real' world! because it's often hard for others to accept (plus I also think there's a bit of jealousy! :wink: )

stallos

Post by stallos » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:28 am

I'm definitely a late person and not good in the mornings.
night time is definitely the most peaceful time when you can get left alone, but the temptation to substances is far greater....
Too right mate!
This is definitely the reason why night is better for my work patterns.
The only thing is I dont think my neighbours (tossers) appreciate my creative genius when I discover a new kick drum and bass combo at 4am.
Theres something nice about the city at that time of day, quiet and still.

Usually have a few spliffs but trying (unsuccessfully at the moment) to cut down. I often just start mixing things up in session view and in my stoned haze a couple of hours go passed in instant. Scary!

My biggest stumbling block to working is my day job - seriously gets in the way of Live during the day.

stal

David

Post by David » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:31 pm

forge wrote:

Yep, it is true, the nightime does bring its temptations. Last weekend I had a little too much wine and kind of got carried away with my posts here, which you look back later on and say - why did I write that!

I'm also wanting to get fitter again but I just dont think this country (uk) at this time of year is all that great for outdoor sports, its too wet and cold!

You know what, tonight I am going swimming! The local school has a pool and its open to the public at night so I'm getting my goggles looked out. Live can have a night off!

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:13 pm

this is my world;
1. phone conversation with client
2. download quicktime commercial
3. tap out a tempo, conduct and make some spot notes.
4. find beat/loop to capture the vibe/mood/feel/energy
5. add ryhthm tracks to establish the harmony
6. misc. percussion and ear candy to hits spots
7. sparse melody to finalize (being careful of the voice over)
8. quik mix/print/convert to mp3

and bob's your uncle 8 hours later.
;-)
dp
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:06 pm

Interesting that so many people do their best work in the late hours. Since I got a sensible day job about two and a half years ago i've not really done any music that I'm either happy with or I consider finished.
The trouble is that I also have always only ever turned on creatively after midnight.
I've thought that my creative juices have been drying up but I think my problem is just that I can't work late anymore. When I think about it, all my best work, both musically and artistically, was done just before sunrise.

I have a hardrive at bursting point with unfinished tunes and ideas, none of which I feel are really worth the ammount of time and concentration needed to finish them. I get so little time that finishing a tune means it has to be worked on for weeks, and being a bloody gemini, after a couple of days I'VE CHANGED MY STUPID MIND!

I need to find myself a rich old lady that wants to keep a 39 year old child in music gear and time. I think I'm going to have to prostitute myself for the love of music! Not that fond of grey pubes but if it'll buy me some time to actually create..... :wink:

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:45 am

forge wrote:it's just with musos there's so many hours you have to put in with no timesheet or invoice you can hand in for alot of it so it's often totally derided by most out in the 'real' world! because it's often hard for others to accept (plus I also think there's a bit of jealousy! :wink: )
Jealousy? Well there's an angle i hadn't thought of. I certainly find 9-5 workers are under the slightly misinformed opinion that being self-employed, I can just chill out and be lazy cos there's no boss watching over me, when the reality is more the opposite.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:53 am

Moonburnt wrote: I certainly find 9-5 workers are under the slightly misinformed opinion that being self-employed, I can just chill out and be lazy cos there's no boss watching over me, when the reality is more the opposite.
agreed, while its nice to have the gotten rid of the stress of having to take orders, the stress of having to provide for yourself 100% is just as bad, and sometimes worse.
i'm doing what i love to do, but i still gotta be able to pay for electricity and a roof over my head in order to maintain that. and i never get a defined vacation, because no matter where i am or what i am doing - some aspect of it has to do with work. I love being able to travel, but lately i've been traveling out of necessity more than choice.

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:42 am

Self employed just means that you're your own boss. Which I suspect would lead to some awkward situations: how do you tell yourself off for being a lazy sod? ;)

-Paws

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:44 am

noisetonepause wrote:Self employed just means that you're your own boss. Which I suspect would lead to some awkward situations: how do you tell yourself off for being a lazy sod? ;)

-Paws
hahaha, i designate that task to my girlfriend.