Best headphones for studio use. Low end important

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leedsquietman

Re: Best headphones for studio use. Low end important

Post by leedsquietman » Mon May 03, 2010 2:22 am

I have ATH-M50s which I use for tracking and sometimes mixing and HD650s, which I managed to pick up cheap from a store that went bankrupt, which are very comfortable and nice for mixing, if you are in a QUIET environment.

Unfortunately, living in a crazy home near to a major international airport (Pearson), means that unless I am mixing in the seriously off peak hours, I don't use them as much as I could, as being open backed, background noise can seep into the phones (and similarly, my studio area is not an 'off limits' area to the rest of the family, so sometimes for consideration of others, the ATH-M50s become necessary as they don't leak sound).

For the money (and shop around, you can often get then sub 150 bucks), the ATH-M50s are awesome and sound great. Normally the HD 650s would cost 400 dollars more than the ATH-M50s but comfort aside (they are super comfortable and you can wear them for hours) I wouldn't say they sounded anywhere like 400 dollars more expensive.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Omniology

Post by Omniology » Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 am

I have the bayers and at the At 50's. I loved the beyers but I manage to melt them in a gallant act of stupidity. Picked up the At's and I am In love......

Om

:Metaphor:

Post by :Metaphor: » Mon May 03, 2010 5:32 am

Denon AH-D2000.

Read some reviews on them. They are incredible headphones. As good as 770's or 650's but closed back and 1/3rd the price. Well worth looking into.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm buying the Shure SRH840s today-- I've had the DT770s and they were great but after about 6 years of heavy use lost the left channel.

I will give the Shures a go and post my 'review'.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm

as i am using cans only for things like tracking and DJ-ing, i never got deeply into 'high end' cans, prefer monitors anyway...

but for the money i like sennheiser hd 280 pro and sony's mdr 7506 a lot, the sony's are great for dj-ing as well.

but i am keene to read a sure review, they lately came up with some new models, including a dj headphone and their in ears are very good next to ultimate ears... so they might be not bad at all...
*** Image GAFM ***

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 pm

I use AKG 271 and I'm really happy with them.
You won't get around using monitors for mixing anyway, but the AKGs are great for recording and checking out pan, locating noise, working while sitting in the tube etc.

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Mon May 03, 2010 11:01 pm

got some sony 7506s recently. loving them.

selthym

Post by selthym » Mon May 03, 2010 11:40 pm

Check the Impedence of the Headphones and make sure your setup can power the cans appropriately. I was initially looking at the DT 770's until I was reccomended not to buy them unless I have a headphone amp. http://www.headphones.com.au has a really good forum and good advice on a large range of cans.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue May 04, 2010 2:30 am

There are different impedances for the DT770's as well.

I have used a pair of Beyerdynamics DT770s for the past 5-6 years, the 80 ohm. They are great headphones. Eventually, however, it seems like something got stuck in the left earcup that caused that side to die, and so I needed some new ones.

Today I picked up a pair of the Shure SRH840s. The price I got was $US 169.

My initial impressions are good design and good sound. They are a bit "crisper" sounding than the Beyerdynamics in my estimation, very good separation of spectral elements.

Some design plusses as opposed to the Beyerdynamics: they have that additional joint above the earcup for live single ear monitoring and more compact folding for storage. The separate cord plugs in which would allow it to be replaced separately, while the DT770s cord is "fixed". The Shures also have a coiled cord, so being able to replace it is good, because these are more prone to problems in my experience.

I think no headphones can beat the DT770s for prolonged wear comfort, although the Shure SRH840s are very comfortable. I also think the DT770s have better low end clarity, but these are very good also.

So I think these are very good, especially for the price. Not as comfortable as the DT770s, but also not as heavy, not as detailed in the low end, but I think better spectral separation overall.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

xenomachino1

Post by xenomachino1 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:56 am

i went for it and ordered the sure's. i'll post my review when i get them. thanks for all the input guys. JC

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:32 pm

+1 for ATH-M50 .. Amazing and accurate sound with great sound isolation ..

Full recommendation :arrow: