Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
v00d00ppl
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:29 am
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by v00d00ppl » Sun May 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Anyone here design labels for their old floppies? I have some design ideas drawn out for my custom labels, is there a template I can use in adobe illustrator or do I need to take my shit to kinkos?


I have some of the worst penmanship and I am just trying to make things look nice

swishniak
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by swishniak » Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 pm

avery, bro

Pyro Z
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Chelmsford, MA
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by Pyro Z » Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 am

Avery indeed.

You know some people are crying the death of the Compact Disc? I'm not in that camp yet, but floppies? Really? I'm just curious, what do you use them for and how come? These days it's damn hard to find any hardware with a floppy drive.

http://www.examiner.com/x-29894-Mobile- ... oppy-disks
There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks!

v00d00ppl
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:29 am
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon May 03, 2010 2:22 am

Pyro Z wrote:Avery indeed.

You know some people are crying the death of the Compact Disc? I'm not in that camp yet, but floppies? Really? I'm just curious, what do you use them for and how come? These days it's damn hard to find any hardware with a floppy drive.

http://www.examiner.com/x-29894-Mobile- ... oppy-disks

Um, I actually cried at the recent announced death of floppies when Sony made it official that yet are leaving the 3.5 disk game. So now I am beginning to hoard them. As for my main use, it's for ensoniq eps sampler(1988 version). I love all things ensoniq so i am trying to preserve my drums and chops on this keyboard sampler. Worst case scenario I will get a scsi retrofit and use a scsi compact flash drive to load my sounds

Silverfish
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by Silverfish » Mon May 03, 2010 2:55 am

yeah I just picked up a bunch of rackmount samplers, and I'm lamentind the death of the floppy, too. Like you said, time to hoard!

But Sony isn't the only company still making them, are they?
Image

longjohns
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:42 pm
Location: seattle

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by longjohns » Mon May 03, 2010 3:44 am

v00d00ppl wrote:Worst case scenario I will get a scsi retrofit and use a scsi compact flash drive to load my sounds
it will become the best case scenario when you experience how much faster your sampler works with a scsi drive!

v00d00ppl
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:29 am
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon May 03, 2010 4:39 am

longjohns wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:Worst case scenario I will get a scsi retrofit and use a scsi compact flash drive to load my sounds
it will become the best case scenario when you experience how much faster your sampler works with a scsi drive!

Serious ? What sAmpler are you using?

v00d00ppl
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:29 am
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 am

Silverfish wrote:yeah I just picked up a bunch of rackmount samplers, and I'm lamentind the death of the floppy, too. Like you said, time to hoard!

But Sony isn't the only company still making them, are they?

Sony is the big one admitting defeat. Other companies may follow suit. Imation and Maxell seem to still 've m aufacturing them. Let the eBay raping and pillaging begin

Silverfish
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by Silverfish » Mon May 03, 2010 5:33 am

Let the eBay raping and pillaging begin
Yeah. I know all about that. I had to pick some DD 3.5 floppies a few weeks ago. Expensivo.

I really fear for the day when our obsolete gear truly is OBSOLETE.

Perhaps it's time to look into Compact Flash cards for my samplers. Has anyone used SCSIforsamplers or similar?
Image

longjohns
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:42 pm
Location: seattle

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by longjohns » Mon May 03, 2010 3:23 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:
longjohns wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:Worst case scenario I will get a scsi retrofit and use a scsi compact flash drive to load my sounds
it will become the best case scenario when you experience how much faster your sampler works with a scsi drive!

Serious ? What sAmpler are you using?
i used an mpc3000 with a jaz drive over scsi. i'd say it was 10x faster load/save vs. the floppy drive.

also i had upped the ram, so when the mpc was full, it would probably take 5-6 floppies to hold the data for a song. so annoying. of course for me it was easy since the thing already had a scsi port.

v00d00ppl
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:29 am
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue May 04, 2010 2:53 am

Silverfish wrote:
Let the eBay raping and pillaging begin
Yeah. I know all about that. I had to pick some DD 3.5 floppies a few weeks ago. Expensivo.

I really fear for the day when our obsolete gear truly is OBSOLETE.

Perhaps it's time to look into Compact Flash cards for my samplers. Has anyone used SCSIforsamplers or similar?

Scsi for samplers work but are expensive. You are going to end up paying one way or another. I'll complain now and buy the drive later

mrsakitumi
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by mrsakitumi » Tue May 04, 2010 2:37 pm

I still have a Roland W30 which loads samples on stiffies. they even have to be formatted as 700k and by
placing tape over the one opening.
I suppose also soon to be on the obsolete list.
currently use a Roland SP606 for live gigs, which can only take a max of 512mb compact flash cards.
even these are becoming obsolete ( most shops only stock 1gig CF and up)
busy migrating my set to Live with a LP and Padkontrol.
...and it's mr sakitumi (too late to change profile name)...damn
LIVE, DS lite, a tambourine, tape recorder.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.facebook.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.youtube.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.twitter.com/mrsakitumi

hacktheplanet
Posts: 2846
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Program used to label 3.5 flopppies

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue May 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Switching out your floppy drive is a good idea. Many of the floppies made in the last 15 years or so are pretty crappy and LOVE to lose data. You might have disks from the early 90s that work great because they made them to high standards back then. But more recent ones just suck because they were on the way out.
Image

Post Reply