Wordpress users: best audio player for music site?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Silverfish

Wordpress users: best audio player for music site?

Post by Silverfish » Mon May 03, 2010 2:58 am

Hey team-

I'm slowly but surely chugging away on getting my wordpress-powered website up and running the way I'd like, and I'd like to find a better way to play audio on the site. Currently I'm using the "audio player" plugin, and it's great for a post with a quick mp3, but I kinda want something more substantial. Maybe with a popout player and a playlist, like the myspace music player.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

shuutobi

Re: Wordpress users: best audio player for music site?

Post by shuutobi » Mon May 03, 2010 4:15 am

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/1-bit-audio-player/

Please be sure to read the following as well since you're using wordpress...
http://semlabs.co.uk/journal/how-to-sto ... ing-hacked

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:00 am

Just say no to pop-ups!

How about Soundcloud?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 am

Soundcloud is great, and I've got an account. But, I can run my site with unlimited bandwidth for cheaper than I can maintain a soundcloud account.

Shuutobi, thanks for that link. I'll definitely be doing some updating tonight! I looked at the 1 bit player and I can't really see any benefits over the player I'm using now, so maybe I'll just stick with what I've got. Thanks, though.

socketghost

Post by socketghost » Mon May 03, 2010 11:22 am

I'm interested in this too. I use the WordPress audio player -

http://wpaudioplayer.com/

- which is fine, but I wouldn't mind finding a non-flash player (for iPhone/Pod/Touch etc.). Any ideas? I've got a SoundCloud account, but SC seems to be flash-based too.

pcasella

Post by pcasella » Mon May 03, 2010 11:34 am

Ciao,
I had the same dilemma some time a go I went for a soundcloud/bandcamp mix.

The main benefit of Soundcloud and Bandcamp over the others is that its harder to access the MP3 file, because the audio is streamed and you need to be really skilled to access the mp3 file. Also, streamming is 128kb but the user can actually choose to download other formats and get higher quality.

If you have a WP pluggin like the ones mentioned, using "view source" on the browser and searching for .mp3 will show the path to the file. From there the user can download the file directly without giving you any stats.

With bandcamp you can trade the download for the email of the user.
With soundcloud you get the stats and the player is really nice, plus you get an outstanding community of active listeners and so on.

Finally, both bandcamp and soundcloud are free (unless you go premium for SC) and really easy to use, and players are really nice graphically.

my 50c. Cheers! P!

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Mon May 03, 2010 7:43 pm

What I did is use the SC player for the sidebar player, and bandcamp's header image map features to integrate the bandcamp page as seamlessly as I could as the music page in my site. It works really well, but I'm still looking for an alternative to Soundcloud because of the upload limit. I wish bandcamp had a player where you could compile tracks from all your releases and embed it, but I asked them about it and it doesn't seem to be in their plans :(.

If you want to check how it looks, my site is http://www.msbkonline.com. Here's the bandcamp blog on how to set up image maps:

http://blog.bandcamp.com/2010/03/23/int ... mage-maps/

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 pm

You have one new fan. :D

Your site looks really fantastic! I like the way you've integrated th soundcloud player. I may look into doing this myself. Bandcamp looks really professional. I've been going back and forth about how to release my music, whether independently (for free or for cash) or try and find a label, but Bandcamp might just be the ticket.

Tanks, Monosylabik

Bee Dub

Post by Bee Dub » Mon May 03, 2010 8:30 pm

steampad is pretty legit