Making beats: Getting started with Ableton + APC40 + LPK25

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
immaxf

Making beats: Getting started with Ableton + APC40 + LPK25

Post by immaxf » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Hey folks,
I'm a newbie here, so be nice :mrgreen: I just picked up an APC40 after playing around with Ableton (Live 8.1) for a few months. I've also got an LPK25 on the way. In the mean time, I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach beat-making with the hardware and software that I presently have. I'm thinking that I can use the LPK25 as a "drum machine," at least for the purpose of having plenty of velocity-sensitive triggers to map like a regular drum machine. Does this approach sound feasible? Is there any quick way to have the LPK25 switch back and forth between acting as a regular midi controller, and also a drum machine? Alternatively, what approaches might I take to efficiently make beats using my setup?
Looking forward to any advice. Thanks so much!

agent314

Re: Making beats: Getting started with Ableton + APC40 + LPK25

Post by agent314 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:23 am

I don't understand what you mean 'switch it between a MIDI controller and drum machine' - how will you be making beats? If you're going to be using drum racks, there's no reason you can't use the LPK as a MIDI controller to trigger drum samples and use it to play other instruments just by changing the track arm.

Personally, what I would recommend with that setup is to play your beats one sound at a time on the LPK, then overdub with subsequent hits. So the workflow will be something like:

1. Arm the drum rack track
2. Hit one of the drum rack track's clip buttons on the APC to start recording
3. Play the first sound in your beat (let's say bass drum) with the corresponding key on the LPK
4. When you're done with your beat (1/2/4/whatever bars later), hit the same clip button on the APC to end recording and start it looping
5. While it's looping, play the next hit (let's say snare) with overdub on, to lay that part down on the clip.
6. Repeat 4-5 with each subsequent sample in the rack until you have a beat you're happy with.

Then add another instrument, and repeat ad infinitum until you have your tune, laden with phat beatz (sic).