Latency issue - advice please.......?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Latency issue - advice please.......?

Post by lolalola » Tue May 04, 2010 11:54 pm

When I play a bassline on a loop, for example, I'm hearing the notes later than they're playing. (Photo 2 for example shows when the note plays - it's way after the start of the note) This seems to have recently started, but I'm only really now getting annoyed by it! I downloaded 8.1.3 tonight to see if that might fix things, but no... Are my settings screwy? :

HeadrickProductions

Re: Latency issue - advice please.......?

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 am

i hope you can figure it out. I know that setting the track delay back into -1000 helps a little, but I still get a delay that kills me. I was also using guitar rig 4 pro as a plug so that might have had something to do with it.

Hope you get the answer so I can figure it out as well
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed May 05, 2010 1:03 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:i hope you can figure it out. I know that setting the track delay back into -1000 helps a little, but I still get a delay that kills me. I was also using guitar rig 4 pro as a plug so that might have had something to do with it.

Hope you get the answer so I can figure it out as well

Hmm, I tried bringing the track delays back -1000 and that does help, but that can't be the answer! :( I recall there used to be a thing under the help menu where you could get an Audio I-0 Setup lesson ... where that is now I don't know.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 05, 2010 1:09 am

in the Library under Lessons, look for the Recording Audio Lesson or Setting Up Hardware lesson.

options-preference-audio

it's not in the manual either.

connect an audio input to an audio output on your soundcard (I use the headphone jack 'cause it's on the front.)

one sample/clip per track, use Arrange view

track 1 - some sample, one with a waveform whos start is easy to find, like a lone kick drum

track 2 - records the output of track 1

track 3 - record the audio input you setup (record your sound card's output, which is delayed)

record what you need then compare track 2's recording with track 3's recording. zoom in all the way and look at the very bottom of the Live GUI, there's a timeline there (only in Arrange view, they removed it from Session view.)

repeat the process until you get it really close.

there's also a checkbox in one of the menus at the top of Live's GUI to enable Delay Compensation. it only works when Monitor is turned OFF.

hth
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nofreeedom

Post by nofreeedom » Wed May 05, 2010 1:57 am

Your buffer size is way to high. You should set it as low as possible. Also, the higher you put the sample rate, the lower your latency will be. I have a M-Audio card and have the buffer at 64 and sample rate at 48000. Overall latency is 4.15...which is not noticeable.

If your CPU isn't good and you don't have enough RAM, you may here clicks and pops which means your hardware is being maxed out - in which case you have to inch the buffer size up until it works ok.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed May 05, 2010 2:08 am

Tone Deft wrote: record what you need then compare track 2's recording with track 3's recording. zoom in all the way and look at the very bottom of the Live GUI, there's a timeline there (only in Arrange view, they removed it from Session view.)

hth

they removed it from the session view? congrats mr deff... you just found another bug !!
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 05, 2010 2:12 am

nofreeedom wrote:Your buffer size is way to high. You should set it as low as possible. Also, the higher you put the sample rate, the lower your latency will be. I have a M-Audio card and have the buffer at 64 and sample rate at 48000. Overall latency is 4.15...which is not noticeable.

If your CPU isn't good and you don't have enough RAM, you may here clicks and pops which means your hardware is being maxed out - in which case you have to inch the buffer size up until it works ok.
you don't need low latency to record into Live, that's the whole point of Delay Compensation. I run a sloppy ~150mS* of latency and the recordings drop in just fine.

*I do this so I can run bigger sets and not worry about clicks. I also don't use Live as a realtime effects processor.

3phase - I reported it a while back, like a year ago. the timeline is too damn handy!!

how's 8.1.3 working for you? I downloaded it this weekend, it 'feels' lighter to me, menus open quicker, it responds quicker.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed May 05, 2010 2:45 am

Tone Deft wrote:[
how's 8.1.3 working for you? I downloaded it this weekend, it 'feels' lighter to me, menus open quicker, it responds quicker.

tried it 2 times..crashed it 2 times..it is worse than the first 8.13 beta on my machine..actually i gues its just b2 without the beta stuff what makes it more lightwight but not more stable...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,