Partner Instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Emissary

Partner Instruments

Post by Emissary » Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Now were talking, a bit pricey but looks to be some good stuff. I'm loving the Pan Drum and Skiddaw Stones.

http://www.ableton.com/partner-instruments

joe.cavers

Re: Partner Instruments

Post by joe.cavers » Thu May 06, 2010 12:55 pm

I think these look not too bad pricing wise? Some of the atmospheric sounds are looking very appealing.

Where did this come from though? Total curveball, wasn't expecting Ableton to announce anything like this :)

J

dum

Post by dum » Thu May 06, 2010 1:29 pm

joe.cavers wrote: Where did this come from though? Total curveball, wasn't expecting Ableton to announce anything like this :)
I wasn't exactly expecting it, but I requested it and was hoping for it.

Ableton should have been selling content like this since the introduction of SAMPLER, imo.
It's a better way to generate revenue without selling premature code to achieve the same goal - moolah in the bank account.

All good libraries too.... Correct me if I'm wrong though, but are these 'Livepacks' live8 only ?
I think they kind of dropped the ball there if so... there's no reason I can think of that these libraries will import to live8 only

+1 for the skiddaw stones.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Looks interesting. A tad expensive if you want more than a couple, but I guess that's expected.

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Thu May 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Tarekith wrote:Looks interesting. A tad expensive if you want more than a couple, but I guess that's expected.
Everyone falls for that one though right? 30 + 40 looks cheaper than 70.

I'd love to try some of them out, those previews sound really nice.

J

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu May 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Its all a bit overwhelming to be honest, being hit with that many packs. Went for the Pan Drum myself as its so unique and the actual instrument is so expensive and reasonably rare, might get the skiddaw stones in a few months. I can see the interest in the more traditional pads and drums and stuff but i can make most of those myself. Still, this is what Ableton should be doing, making 8 as stable as hell and then providing lots of nice content. If they want to make a killing they should just create big live packs called : TRANCE, DUBSTEP, DRUM AND BASS, MINIMAL HOUSE. etc.. and watch the masses suck them up. To each his own

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu May 06, 2010 2:17 pm

dum wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong though, but are these 'Livepacks' live8 only ?
They'll work with Live 8, Suite 8 or Intro, as long as it's updated to 8.1.3 or higher.

Best,

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Thu May 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Emissary wrote: If they want to make a killing they should just create big live packs called : TRANCE, DUBSTEP, DRUM AND BASS, MINIMAL HOUSE. etc.. and watch the masses suck them up. To each his own
Yea those would sell like crazy. I wonder if Ableton would ever go for that, they don't seem like the kind to do that (to me) but I'm not sure why I think that...

Joe

dum

Post by dum » Thu May 06, 2010 2:25 pm

@Dennis

That's a damn shame.

How come they're live8 only ?

(besides the obvious ''because that's our modus operandi'' answer)

db

Post by db » Thu May 06, 2010 2:43 pm

dum wrote: How come they're live8 only ?
Most of these sounds make use of new Live 8 instruments and effects.

Best,
Daniel

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu May 06, 2010 2:47 pm

brilliant idea.
i realised i get no pleasure atall from creating sounds, and would much rather have a ready made library of sounds i can just mildy tweek to suit.and have a more immediate and spontaniously flowing MO.

sampler is a fantastic instrument, its great to it being supported.

dum

Post by dum » Thu May 06, 2010 2:48 pm

@db

Not the Sonic Couture stuff, I know that for sure. They are simply sample libraries.
Unless you 'enhanced' them with live8 specific FX.

db

Post by db » Thu May 06, 2010 3:12 pm

dum wrote:@db

Not the Sonic Couture stuff, I know that for sure. They are simply sample libraries.
Unless you 'enhanced' them with live8 specific FX.
Actually all these Live Packs include fully programmed instrument racks with Live effects and macro mappings.

Soniccouture has completely redesigned their presets for this release. You could think of it as version 2 of their Live Packs.

The Soniccouture sounds now make full use of Live's effects and instruments. In addition to a simple reproduction of the Bowed Piano or Pan Drum, they have included more abstract "designed" instruments.

Konkrete Drums have been converted from Instrument Racks to Drum Racks for better pad controller support.

Some Live Packs include Live clips, demo songs and lessons.

Best,
Daniel

dum

Post by dum » Thu May 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Right. And it's great that they've tweeked their libraries to be that bit more LIVE specific.

However, instrument racks & macros are available on live7.

I'm prepared to be wrong, but I'm not convinced the Sonic Couture libraries couldn't be made available for Live7 in their enhanced format - if the desire from management was there.

flippo

Post by flippo » Thu May 06, 2010 3:22 pm

aw deng I was hopeing they were actual instruments, like new devices.

Might be nice though