Anyone upgrading their Soniccouture Live packs?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
elxicano

Anyone upgrading their Soniccouture Live packs?

Post by elxicano » Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 pm

I just got the email today that they've updated all their Live packs, including mapping Konkrete Drums Vol 1 & 2 to Drum Racks and then mapping Pan Drum (from Drum Racks) to (I'm guessing) Simpler.

Anyone biting on the upgrades, which cost $10 per upgrade?

I know they say the $10 is for the hard work and normally I'm very supportive of these things, but to be honest... I really believe Konkrete Vol 2 (at least) should have been done in Drums Racks in the first place, just like I absolutely did not like Pan drum being mapped to Drums Racks. Those two IMO should be free updates, and I can't tell why I would upgrade the others like Skiddaw Stone or Bowed Piano.

Rant aside, I guess I want to know if anyone has purchased and can tell if they feel there is an advantage with the options added. Anyone have info to add?

lvehon

Re: Anyone upgrading their Soniccouture Live packs?

Post by lvehon » Thu May 06, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm interested in this too. I just don't know what the major upgrade of going from L7 packs to L8 packs would be.

ScarKord

Post by ScarKord » Fri May 07, 2010 12:39 pm

I've just upgraded Snythi and Pan Drum - haven't had a chance to check them out as yet (just downloading now) but you will also qualify for one of their exclusive sound packs with each upgrade. As a result, I've just got Devilfish and Tube Drum for free :)

http://www.soniccouture.com/en/free-stuff/

Had a quick play with Tube Drum (which I happened to download first) and it's got a nice, unique percussive quality to it which I really like.

Will let you know once I've downloaded Pan Drum / Synthi as to how different they are to the old versions, but it's probably worth upgrading for those exclusive sound packs alone if Tube Drum is anything to go by.
ScarKord - Electronic music, remix and sound design
http://www.scarkord.com
http://www.reverbnation.com/scarkord

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri May 07, 2010 5:22 pm

ScarKord, thanks for that! Now there's good incentive to upgrade (some of them at least). I like both Develfish and Tubedrum very much and I've had my eyes on the Bowed Gamelan library.

I'll probably do the Konkrete Drums 1&2 first...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri May 07, 2010 7:55 pm

I haven't received that email yet :(

Can someone forward it to me? I'll definitely do it.
Image Image Image Image

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Fri May 07, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm not really inclined to. They were well enough for me in Instrument Racks, though getting the third bonus pack, gamelan, is tempting.

What sours me a tad is back in Feb they said they were updating Konkrete 1/2 for Drum Racks, ready by March 17. On the 17th they posted that it was "put back a little, should be by the end of the month" and that they were waiting for a more precise date.

but hey, at least they're giving people something for the upgrade besides just Drum Racks.
nebulae wrote:I haven't received that email yet :(

Can someone forward it to me? I'll definitely do it.
Login to your Soniccouture account and look under Offers.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri May 07, 2010 9:25 pm

I got it sorted out - James at Soniccouture took care of me. I'm going to upgrade shortly.
Image Image Image Image

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Alright... I just purchased the upgrades to Konkrete Drums Vol. 1 & 2 and I did get Bowed Gamelan too!

If anyone upgrades Bowed Piano, ebowed Guitar, or Skiddaw stones, could you tell me what's different? I also have Pan Drum, but I haven't decided if I want to upgrade that one just yet, (even though I'm glad it's no longer in Drum Racks).

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri May 07, 2010 11:09 pm

let's take bets that you upgrade them all, shall we? heheh

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Sat May 08, 2010 12:17 am

fishmonkey wrote:let's take bets that you upgrade them all, shall we? heheh
:lol: I may do that eventually, but not anytime soon. To upgrade them all, it would cost me $60, which could be used for something new!

I do like some of the new Live Pack offerings, but I kinda feel like we should be getting a discount coupon to purchase considering all the various buggy issues we've encountered. I hate to have said that, but I'm being honest here...

Anyway, I still haven't taken a look at all the differences with the update, but the most obvious one is that the new update requires a serial registration through your Live account.

I'm doing laundry now, so I'll be checking the differences out between moving my laundry from Washer to Dryer to folding.... What a fun Friday. :roll:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat May 08, 2010 8:27 am

Those people who like Synthi would probably love the audiomidi.com XILS3 no brainer version for $20 (which offers about 90% of the functionality of the full $150 version and has soft i-lok instead of the dongle).

http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/XILS-3.html

not based on samples, (physical modelling) and with all kinds of crazing routing possibilities.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dum

Post by dum » Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 am

Regarding the sonic couture libraries, have you noticed anything with regard the mapping (racks,macros,etc) that couldn't be done in live7 ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Sat May 08, 2010 5:59 pm

dum wrote:Regarding the sonic couture libraries, have you noticed anything with regard the mapping (racks,macros,etc) that couldn't be done in live7 ?
I can't comment on anything but the Konkrete Volumes, but from what I can see, for the update they've added the Velocity midi module and added Randomness for Glitching as a Macro.

I don't have Live 7 installed anymore, so I don't remember if Velocity was included in that version, but I thought it was.

dum

Post by dum » Sat May 08, 2010 6:12 pm

ok,
as I suspected...
both of those modules are in live7
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

wrong

Post by wrong » Sat May 08, 2010 6:22 pm

I cant seem to unlock mine??? im running the newest version of 8, and entered the serial on the site and went thru the whole verification thru live....still says im not authorized....any tips?
Erik Jackson