How to trigger next scene with *one* click via MIDI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
iwasborn

How to trigger next scene with *one* click via MIDI?

Post by iwasborn » Fri May 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi all

I have a quite simple question that is nonetheless vexing me.

Is it possible to trigger the next scene in session view via MIDI?
If I'm using the computer keyboard, the "return" button will do this - lets say scene 7 is playing. Hitting "return" will begin scene 8.

However, via my MIDI controller, the closest I can seem to get via MIDI map mode is first to select the next scene (via a "scene down" command), and then play it (via "launch scene").

For my purposes, this is an unnecessary additional step and what's more, it's so easy to do on the computer keyboard that I imagine there must be a way to do it via MIDI as well, I just cannot find where.

Thoughts?
Thanks so much.

Homebelly

Re: How to trigger next scene with *one* click via MIDI?

Post by Homebelly » Fri May 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Look up midi map mode in the manual.
This will allow you to map any scene to any midi controller.
I've done this in the past to create a jams where i have assigned each scene to a midi note on my keyboard and then "played" the song.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

iwasborn

Post by iwasborn » Fri May 07, 2010 8:45 pm

hey there
right, thanks for the reply. for purposes of pure simplicity, however, I just want to be able to trigger whatever the next scene is with one button from a controller that isn't the return button on my computer keyboard...

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Turn on midi mapping, then map a button or key from your midi controller to the "scene launch" button located directly below the "stop clips" button on the master channel. (This button only appears if you are in midi map mode)
Then, under Preferences turn on "select next scene on launch".
Now, when you hit the key/button on your midi controller it will launch the currently selected scene AND automatically select the scene below it. This is what you need.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri May 07, 2010 9:11 pm

The Landwhale wrote:Turn on midi mapping, then map a button or key from your midi controller to the "scene launch" button located directly below the "stop clips" button on the master channel. (This button only appears if you are in midi map mode)
Now, when you hit the key/button on your midi controller it will launch the currently selected scene AND automatically select the scene below it. This is what you need.
You can do the same in Key Map mode so that you can use keys on your qwerty other than the return. Make sure the little icon beside the Key Map mode switch is deselected.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

iwasborn

Post by iwasborn » Fri May 07, 2010 9:19 pm

I realize that the problem I was having is that CC messages wont do it, but MIDI notes will. dunno if that's a glitch or I just don't understand MIDI well enough, but its working fine now with a MIDI note. thank you all for your efforts! very appreciated.

elementv

Post by elementv » Tue May 11, 2010 7:06 pm

You can't assign a cc to do that unfortunately.

ronh73

Post by ronh73 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:49 pm

The Landwhale wrote:
Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 pm
Turn on midi mapping, then map a button or key from your midi controller to the "scene launch" button located directly below the "stop clips" button on the master channel. (This button only appears if you are in midi map mode)
Only the first time you have to press the mapped "scene launch" button twice to get the desired effect. This can only be prevented by using this mapped "scene launch" button as a play button, which directly selects the next scene as well.