what runs Live better PC or MAC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toneroll

Post by toneroll » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:35 pm

adamjay---- you can make a bootable disc and have the programs you want installed on it with windows and if you want to use sp2 you can intergrate that aswell , so every time you install its all on before you even get to the desktop.. also you should install an AV and firewall before you connect.. and yeh that stuff that shows up in adaware are just usually data miners. nowt to really worry about..
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:43 pm

mark H.. i think its you missing the point mate .. you ve just basically said that you have both pc and mac.. so...............erm .........why?

my point is i dont care for logic . (i would llke to use pluggo and the mode plugins tho, but i will be able to one day. ) live is my tool.. its just a coincedence that i have always been on pc.. (plus soon i will be able yto use them . and then wheres the argument going to be? when i have OSX on a seperate partition of my pc

i just really think its not a software optimisation issue and it is that you need a powerful machine to get the best out of it.. theres no other prog like it.. sooner or later plugs are going to advance even further as well , and we are all going to need to upgrade our machines wether pc or mac..

opps sorry you cant upgrade a mac can you :(

2kilo

Post by 2kilo » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:32 pm

I reckon PC's are better in the long run... Major software updates often force people to buy a new mac, while PC's just keep on chugging...

I get so fed up with the limited life span of macs, feels like you're being ripped off every time...

-10+yrs in the graphic design industry confirms this, generally we have to buy new machines every 2/3yrs-

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:46 pm

2kilo wrote:I reckon PC's are better in the long run... Major software updates often force people to buy a new mac, while PC's just keep on chugging...

I get so fed up with the limited life span of macs, feels like you're being ripped off every time...

-10+yrs in the graphic design industry confirms this, generally we have to buy new machines every 2/3yrs-
I get the opinion it's the other way around? My brother's G4 400 that's what, five years old? is running 10.3 and Photoshop7 happily... could you run XP on a five year old PC?

-Paws

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:18 pm

yeah, definitely have to agree one this one. I can upgrade my mac pretty easily, i just order a processor upgrade off the net and install it in my machine same as anyone else. now, alot of mac users are not the type of people who will open their machine up and do an upgrade, but that does not mean that you can't.

secondly, macs seem to hold their resell value much much longer then PCs do so selling that mac years down the road to upgrade seems pretty easy to me.

There are still video edit suites powered by powermac 9500s and those have been out of production for over 7 years now.

don't forget, apple may have some slower clock speeds then PCs today, but they did quite a lot before the rest of the computer world, things like the PDA, wifi, firewire, the mouse, GUI, etc. so i would say that yeah there is more to a machine the mhz, however macs were much faster then PCs until recently, they may just be that way again soon.

Personally, then simple fact that dealing with PCs means having to worry about compatability makes me wanna stick with my mac. I don't have to worry about whether something is gonna work with my logic board chipset etc. This is the advantage of apple being very strict about hardware compatability.

as to what computer to use live on, search the archive and lets kill this thread.

BigGreen

Post by BigGreen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
BigGreen wrote:It's funny how insecure Mac guys can get eh. It's like guys with small packages. They always gotta be sayin "it's what you do with it. whatever. I guess I have an obsession with "performance" LOL

Image You graduate grade school dude? or did you have an accident at work?

The post that started this thread asked which platform was better for live. Not "does your 4 year old mac laptop run live". Notice how no one with a PC fealt the need to jump in here and start whining. You got a mac. I'm happy for you. But why are you trying to justify yourself here? Bottom line is, buddy is looking for a laptop, probably an affordable one. So if your recomendation is that he can find a better performing Mac laptop for say.. under 1500 then a comparable PC of the same price then speak up. If not then how about a nice steaming cup of STFU. Hmmm..
Obviously this is a contentious issue for some of the Mac usere in this forum. Do I find that funny? Um yeah. Will i be rockin a 64 bit amd laptop (aprox 1200 USD) next week and not a Mac? Hell yeah.
So how about you get over yourself and your Mac and go make some music instead of nonsense.

2kilo

Post by 2kilo » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:57 pm

@noisetonepause
I get the opinion it's the other way around? My brother's G4 400 that's what, five years old? is running 10.3 and Photoshop7 happily... could you run XP on a five year old PC?
Sorry mate I think you're wrong...
Tested & Proved:
1. Our old G4's could not even handle OSX in a studio envirnoment
2. They slowed down to much to even use Illustrator 10
3. Been through 4 Macs in 11yrs

I doubt his machine runs "happily" preparing pre-press imagery [90Mb] or high res re-touching? Or with photoshop CS? If you need reasonably high performance, using the latest software I've found Macs need to be replaced more often... I don't think there would be any problem running XP on a 5yr old machine, which I guess is about an 800...

Some of the marketing team here still have old post 486 PC's from around 96/97 [upgraded] and work with W2k using the usual MS office stuff... Now those are old... You can use the latest PC software with older therefore faster operating systems unlike apple...

If you ever keep an eye on the machine specs needed for a lot of software you will [often] see the requirements for the Mac version "sky rocket" [eg Cubase, Traktor] while the PC's just stroll upwards especially with OS's...? Upgrades for Mac have traditionally been slight and expensive making it more worthwhile just to buy a new machine. Its the same with spare parts [eg DVD drive for old PowerBook £700!!!! - yes the guy checked 3 times, it was £350 the year before].

I'm just saying I've had 14 years with Apple [still going] and 4 with Wintel. Each has good and bad points, but I can say Apple have a habit of ripping off the consumer...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:04 pm

What do mac vs pc threads and duracell bunny's have in common?

They keep going and going and.............

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:22 pm

If I would be a PC user I would upgrade every four years anyway, PCI-Express, SATI, faster internal memory bus..... more stuff four years from now, the marketing people are clever.... --Kent

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:26 pm

2kilo wrote:Some of the marketing team here still have old post 486 PC's from around 96/97 [upgraded] and work with W2k using the usual MS office stuff... Now those are old... You can use the latest PC software with older therefore faster operating systems unlike apple...
How much of them is actually left from those days? The case and maybe the keyboard?

I don't know, mate, all I know is that my PC using friends seem to be upgrading their computers all the fucking time, while my G3 is still going and going and going... as much as I need it to, anyways.

-Paws

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:32 pm

talkin about ringin apple and getting a new chip to put in your mac?
how much would that cost? a F"£$%in shit load i bet.. especially a powerfull one..

amd 4000 (really an fx-53) = 729 us dollars.

av8 mobo = about 80

this config. is highly overclockable aswell yeh so the case and keyboard are the only original things ,, yeh thats the beauty of it init!!! you can do it for cheap and your not lining steve jobs pockets just coz you see a band in FM with a poncey friggin g5 in their kitlist..

and whats pci express got to do with live ? or sata (maybe just for the amout of samples and track count etc) or any of these technologies .. jack shit..

live runs better on a PERSONAL COMPUTER, plus leaves you more money for other gear.------------------------------- end of discussion.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:39 pm

toneroll wrote:talkin about ringin apple and getting a new chip to put in your mac?
how much would that cost? a F"£$%in shit load i bet.. especially a powerfull one..
It is very easy to buy 3rd party parts for your mac same as a PC. have a look at the upgrades available through sonnet tech and many others.

BTW, a mac is a PC, its powerPC, in fact, apple made the first commercial PC.

what in world would make lining steve jobs pockets anywhere near as bad as lining bill gates? are you the only person running live on linux? I'd go for that, (i should put this in the feature requests section).

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:03 pm

so you can put an amd or pentium in it? and a well good overclockable motherboard? erm coz if you can then your right yeah its a PC but not a mac is it? youve just paid out your ass for an aluminium case init

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:03 pm

in fact lets change the threads name to which OS does live run better on.... answer being windows my mate.....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:19 pm

BigGreen wrote: Notice how no one with a PC fealt the need to jump in here and start whining.

Right, all the spyware posts just don't exist then?

I've experienced problems with both platforms, and have no problem admitting the benifits and shortcomings of either. Your posts in this thread however, are mean spirited. I normally don't resort to name calling but you ask for it? Why?

Let's see? comments comparing mac people to some juvenile penis competition, telling people to STFU..... :roll:

Say I'm thinking of buying a laptop. I want to know performance, stability of hardware, OS issues, what software I can run alongside the DAW in question...... all these things matter, these are the questions I would be asking anyway, and if you think it's all about CPU speed, then you're going to be spending an awfull lot of money every six months when the new cips roll out.

My powerbook is about three years old, and I have no plans to get a new one next year even, it's just not that important to me. I have Live opened up on a song in the background while I type this, and I don't worry about the crap you guys have to with the internet, that alone is an advantage to me of the OS.

I don't think you have to puff out your chest and degrade people to talk about platform, but it seems that people get so attached to their choice that they refuse to admit the disadvantages of a particular platform. Kudos to adamjay for admitting the internet threat of PCs while defending his choice, that's called critical thinking, get it?

I shouldn't bother though, you've proved already that you're whole goal here is to start shit, not talk about advantages and disadvantages of either platform.