Setting Track Delay Compensation correctly.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Herbal T

Setting Track Delay Compensation correctly.

Post by Herbal T » Sun May 09, 2010 3:35 pm

I have a live set that I am having difficulties with setting the track delay compensation correctly.

This issue occurs twice in my set, so any info/links/tips on how to correct this would be fantastic.

1) Tracks are running perfectly synced, however when I send to SEND B the tracks are out of time.

SEND B is set up as follows ....

Track is sent to SEND B (Send B has no effects on it), This audio is then sent to an AUDIO channel with effects on that are assigned to MIDI to control the parameters. The output audio is sent to another AUDIO channel which is essentially an effects BUS. This BUS channel is then sent to the MASTER out.

I have use a keyboard key ("q" "w" "e" and "r")to control tracks 1-4 SEND B AMOUNT. So when I press one of these keyboard keys the tracks come out of sync. How do I know how much to set the delay compensation to get these synced? (and should I have positive or negative delay times?) ...... OR is there another way altogether to get this synced?

2) The other instance is with loopers .....

Looper set up is as follows ......

Track 1-4 can be sent to 4 channels of Looper devices - They are sent via MIDIyoke triggers (hence a clip is launched which triggers the looper device "record" and "play" buttons.

Everything records well, however the looped audio is out of sync (later than the original audio) ....
Once again how do I get these things synced?

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback/tips/ideas etc....

If you have any questions to clarify my attempted explanation please just ask.

Herbal T.

Tone Deft

Re: Setting Track Delay Compensation correctly.

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 09, 2010 6:48 pm

delay compensation only applies to recording.

look for the lessons in your Live library, one is dedicated to setting up Delay Compensation.

maybe your problem is plug-in delay compensation. options-preferences-cpu
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Herbal T

Post by Herbal T » Mon May 10, 2010 8:39 am

Cheers tone deft,

I will look over it tonight when I get home and post my results.

androgene Collective

Post by androgene Collective » Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Herbal, look on the right side of the screen where the Open/Close view section is, there should be a small circle with a D inside it. Click this to open Manual Track delay compensation, at the bottom of each track a value box appears which allows you to slow down all the tracks or a single track. Just try altering the value until it sounds in sync. This isn't good if you want to record real time with a guitar or such as everything is delayed.
Hope this helps.
Mark Smith

Herbal T

Post by Herbal T » Tue May 11, 2010 10:25 am

I have tried fiddling around with the manual delay compensation.

One question about that.....
Is it better to use positive or negative values ? Or does this not matter.
Example.
Let's say you have 3 tracks and 1 is 60 ms late. Is it better to delay the late channel with a value of -60 ms, or is it better to delay the other two channels with a value of positive 60.

I would have assumed that values that are too high would cause issues with controllers manipulating parameters and launching clips.

Thanks again for your help guys.
T.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Herbal T wrote:I have tried fiddling around with the manual delay compensation.

One question about that.....
Is it better to use positive or negative values ? Or does this not matter.
I believe it's negative. if you've set this up it should be clear that there's only one way to line up
I would have assumed that values that are too high would cause issues with controllers manipulating parameters and launching clips.
I doubt it, it's just a delay buffer taking some RAM. I've never heard of this problem popping up. lately I've been running a large delay (160mS) with no problems.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Herbal T

Post by Herbal T » Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 pm

Thank you for all of your help.

T.