Linking Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tokyojoe69

Linking Live

Post by tokyojoe69 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:24 am

Hi Guys

My first post here. I recently got live and am having loads of fun. My friend and i have tried linking via midi for djing, which works, but we are experiencing a big degrade in his audio. We have plugged from my audiophile firewire midiout into his uc17 -in, but subsequently are getting latency and it seems as his laptop runs out of sync it starts playing cacth-up and the audio goes really wobbly. As soon as we switch off the 'external soucre' button the audio is fine again. I know latency is unavoidable, but is there some way of cutting this down, or some other ways of synching without necesarily using a midi cable (maybe usb or firewire).

minimal

linking live

Post by minimal » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:51 am

try to synch the two machines "by ear" like they were turntables and eventually use the TAP function to catch the BPM.
What you usually do with the pitch control of the turntables you can do in Live by clicking on the BPM and move up and down with the keyboard arrows.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:42 am

yeah doing by ear is the best bet at the moment.. thats how we do it.. Sync via midi just doesn't seem reliable enough, even when you tweak latency settings to get the two machines in time, sync drops out from time to time... if your standing next to your music partner, just match bpms and hit the play button, then tweak the tempo up and down with arrow keys to get you in time.. just like a DJ..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:30 pm

Agreeded, The only way I have found that this works as well is to just wing it.