Why the Lemur is still king & Mu test drive video. Moo!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Why the Lemur is still king & Mu test drive video. Moo!

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Video and article here:

http://pro-audio.bhinsights.com/content ... ntrol.html

Extra special thanks to Sam Walker for pointing out to me that Mu is pronounced "Mew," not "Moo."

The only trouble is that I spoke to him the day after the video was shot. Oh well! Whatevs.

PS - Also thanks to sweetjesus too for giving me the idea to use the term "mission-critical."

beats me

Re: Why the Lemur is still king & Mu test drive video. Moo!

Post by beats me » Mon May 10, 2010 10:05 pm

I like your picture of the cow pig cookie.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 10, 2010 10:16 pm

The Lemur is dead.

DEAD I SAY.

:lol:

And how is this thread not in the Lounge? Pfft.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon May 10, 2010 10:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:The Lemur is dead.

DEAD I SAY.

:lol:

And how is this thread not in the Lounge? Pfft.
Because the Lemur is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

dum

Post by dum » Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 am

Whoever guesses what number I'm thinking of (between one and three) gets to choose which eye I gouge out first
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 11, 2010 12:51 am

I have little doubt the Lemur is a superior controller to the iPad and may be for the foreseeable future, but for me it's always come down to price point. I have a long history behind me and probably a long future in front of me of buying music stuff I either don't use or don't need and at some price point I need to draw the line.

On that note maybe I should consider selling my MPC1000 with built in 160G hard drive that's done little more than move from this shelf to the next.

An iPad may be a good way to test the waters of touch screen controlling for me, but at least if it fails to excite me in that department there's a bunch of other things I can do with it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 am

The notion that there won't be a hard wire connection between the iPad and your machine in order to avoid wifi for the controller is silly.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue May 11, 2010 1:30 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:The notion that there won't be a hard wire connection between the iPad and your machine in order to avoid wifi for the controller is silly.
I know, I know. Bluetooth. Wireless is wireless. Cat5 is Cat5.

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Tue May 11, 2010 3:58 am

i've decided that it doesn't matter if it's over wifi/computer to computer network/cat5 or through two tin cans, as long as it's stable we're arguing over nothing. Throw an encrypted password on the wireless computer to computer network and you're set..

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 am

That article/video is a total FAIL.

"Music controller apps that run on the iPad require that you set up a wireless router or a Bluetooth link."
Bzzzt... wrong on both counts.
Most iPad music apps connect via wifi/bonjour not bluetooth and they don't require a wireless router. You can just create an ad-hoc network between your laptop and the iPad. That's what the Create Network option under the airport menu on your Macbook is for.

"Mu is a free controller plug-in that allows the Lemur to fully control Ableton Live 8. If you own Live 8 and its separately available plug-in called Max for Live, you can get into Mu."
I like how you never mention that the Lemur costs 4 times as much as an iPad nor how the M4L plugin that the "free" Mu plugin requires costs another $300.

"Have you ever been using WiFi to surf the web and your connection disappears for a minute?"
No. And I've never had a "drop in wifi connection" while using TouchOSC. I like how you mention the word Ethernet almost as many times as the word Lemur. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, resistive multitouch as you find in Lemur is a poor choice for live performance purposes due to a design flaw since unintended "touches" can occur. Which is why there are so many reports of angry Lemur owners burned in live situations by the lack of response and by the film initiating unintended events. Oh, and try picking up a Lemur and moving around in the booth. Wired ethernet, wired power cord, resistive touchscreen = legacy technology.

Try harder next time.

Anand

Post by Anand » Tue May 11, 2010 4:39 am

The Lemur is a Lemur- a product designed for music and it does its job exceedingly well. Its second to none and everything else does not and will not come close to it at least in the next 3 years. It is not a mass market product. Its a top end product with a technology very different to the IPad and is targeted at a niche segment of musicians.

The IPad is a lifestyle device that can ALSO do music- it is not designed or intended for one and its strength lies in its appeal to the mass market. Everyone from 6-60 will probably find a way to use it and at 499 it doesn't hurt most pockets. That is where the Ipad scores.

will it take over the Lemur- No, however the Ipad will probably have applications that do what the lemur does as close to it can but never exact!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue May 11, 2010 5:00 am

Anand wrote:The Lemur is a Lemur- a product designed for music and it does its job exceedingly well. Its second to none and everything else does not and will not come close to it at least in the next 3 years.
Um, except that when it comes to fingertip response, Apple’s capacitive screen is currently the best solution available.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 11, 2010 5:22 am

Lemur is soooo dead...!

skeet

Post by skeet » Tue May 11, 2010 10:59 am

humnumb wrote:Um, except that when it comes to fingertip response, Apple’s capacitive screen is currently the best solution available.
Um, ever tried to use an apple iPod/Phone with your fingernails or something else than your fingertips (skin)?

The Screen of Jazzmutant (a.k.a. Stantum) can be used with whatever sort of pen, stylus, skin,.....
Behind that stands one of most leading companies when it comes to touch sensitivity.
The vid mentioned above doesn't get me although I got a Lemur on my desk.
It's just built for what it's ment for and does that job f****ing brilliant.
Look outside the window and find yourself

dum

Post by dum » Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 am

humnumb lives in fairyland. Where black is white.

Don't forget he hasn't even touched a lemur, so ya...uh, his informed opinion isn't worth the toilet paper it's smeared on.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.