Assigning MIDI for stopping clip recording?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

Assigning MIDI for stopping clip recording?

Post by agent314 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Is there any way to have a single command (ideally triggered by a MIDI footswitch through my APC40) that serves as a general 'stop recording and start looping the clip' when I'm recording into a clip space?

So, say I have a track that I'm playing a guitar part on.

I start the recording via one of the APC/Launchpad clip buttons, play my shit,
then when I hit that same clip launch button, it stops recording at the next quantize point and starts looping it.

What I'd like to be able to do is have have a single command to perform that action, but for whatever the current clip is.

So is there a way to set up a single MIDI control that will act as a general-purpose 'clip launch/stop' button for whatever clip is currently recording/selected?

I'm trying to figure out a way to put together a streamlined realtime loop-recording workflow for live performance.

longjohns

Re: Assigning MIDI for stopping clip recording?

Post by longjohns » Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 am

use a translator to generate an "enter" keystroke,

or figure out how to send whatever message is on the "zoom" key on a mackie control. use that on a controller in mackie control mode

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Wed May 12, 2010 6:24 am

You don´t want the clip to stop, you want the recording to stop and the clip start looping, right?

Just press the your play button again.
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

You don´t want the clip to stop, you want the recording to stop and the clip start looping, right?

Just press the your play button again.
The global transport play button or the one for the clip? I know the one for the clip will do it - but I am looking to assign a single MIDI control that will act as the individual clip's play button, regardless of which clip is selected.

If the global play button will do this, that would probably work out nicely...

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm

there's the scenelaunch- and the tracklaunch-buttons which are midiassignable (visible in midimap mode), the first will start looping the clip that is being recorded (if the scene the clip is in, is selected), the second will (obviously) start the scene.
I don't think there is a general button to start looping the clip that's being recorded, but if there is I'd like to know!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 am

Hmm - track launch is getting me closer to where I want to be. Did not know about that feature - thank you much

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu May 13, 2010 4:17 am

longjohns wrote:use a translator to generate an "enter" keystroke,

or figure out how to send whatever message is on the "zoom" key on a mackie control. use that on a controller in mackie control mode