Can this be done? MIDI Masters... Help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arzuaga

Can this be done? MIDI Masters... Help

Post by arzuaga » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:16 pm

I have searched the forum and found a lot of things about "Do it yourself" plugins constructors, like MAX/MSP, DP, jMax, etc. I find them amazing, but as I am just beggining to know them, I dont know if they can solve this problem...

My MIDI Keyboard can only output messages with MIDI Channel 1. Of course, this is not so convenient working with Live. I want a plugin that could generate 16 "virtual" MIDI ports. This way, on MIDI track 2, I could select as 'MIDI IN' the MIDI from track 1, and the "virtual" channel 2, on MIDI track 3 the virtual Channel 3... On the plugin you will be able to change the virtual channel where the original data (from the keyboard) is directed...

Dont know if it is possible, sure it is but I hope anyone knows how!!!! Let me know if my explanation isnt clear...

Thanks!!

PD: WinXP

kongbalong

Post by kongbalong » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:58 pm

I don't think Live will let you use midi outputs from plugins, unfortunately.
If I am wrong, then please somebody show me the light.
you could probably use some kind of virtual midi router outside of Live however.

-craig

arzuaga

Post by arzuaga » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:32 pm

Like wich one? Do you know some? I searched for Virtual MIDI router at Google but all of them patched between MIDI applications but not between MIDI Devices & Applications... Any ideas?

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:58 pm

yeah, you can do what your talking about with Max as well if you wanted, but kongbalong is correct, live will not accept midi from plugins. so you'd need to run max in the background as a seperate app. i do it all the time.

arzuaga

Post by arzuaga » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:50 am

yeah, you can do what your talking about with Max as well if you wanted, but kongbalong is correct, live will not accept midi from plugins. so you'd need to run max in the background as a seperate app. i do it all the time.
yeah, I suppose it has to be done like that, do you know it can be done? Does Live act as a Rewire slave and MAX as a master? or simply one can choose MAX as a MIDI input for Live? just for curiosity... Thanks!