Moving the contents of two old Macs into one new Mac...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Re: Moving the contents of two old Macs into one new Mac...

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri May 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Pasha wrote: Carbon Copy is ok. I personally use Super Duper for my bootable drives (got a purchased copy - the best money ever spent) 2c.
-Pasha
Thanks. I will consider this.

I started the manual move in last night and it feels really good so far. In my old Macs I have these folders with way too much stuff in them. Now I'm making folders with names like:
Ableton - Voice Overs
Ableton - Other Bands
Ableton - Scraps/Ideas

I'm organizing lots of graphic design stuff into different folders:
Graphics - 1st CD
Graphics - Work Related

And so on and so forth. Feels soooooo good.

steko

Post by steko » Fri May 14, 2010 3:42 pm

One more thing: Before using CCCloner, you should add your empty external (or the backup partition on your external) to Spotlight's privacy list (System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy) to avoid slowing down backups by Spotlight indexing @ same time. Usually you don't want your backups indexed - you would get double hits in Spotlight, when external is connected.

@ Subfunk: with Migration Assistant you have the choice to move over "Applications", "files and folders", or your Library folder. If selected AFAIK everything inside gets moved over (not intelligent) . On Time Machine, some stuff like most caches, logs, trash, etc. is automatically excluded.
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri May 14, 2010 6:04 pm

steko wrote:One more thing: Before using CCCloner, you should add your empty external (or the backup partition on your external) to Spotlight's privacy list (System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy) to avoid slowing down backups by Spotlight indexing @ same time. Usually you don't want your backups indexed - you would get double hits in Spotlight, when external is connected.

@ Subfunk: with Migration Assistant you have the choice to move over "Applications", "files and folders", or your Library folder. If selected AFAIK everything inside gets moved over (not intelligent) . On Time Machine, some stuff like most caches, logs, trash, etc. is automatically excluded.
thanks for the info!
*** Image GAFM ***

vanhaze

Post by vanhaze » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:03 am

What about the Live license on the old computer ?
Or plugin licenses, which reside on the harddrive.
Will they be also transferred to the new computer with Migration Assistant ?
Seems to me this is quite important to know.
Rob van Hees
Macbook Pro 15", 8 Gig Ram, Mavericks 10.9, Novation Impulse, Maschine MKII, Live 9.1 (latest beta 64bit), Logic Pro X 10.04, Protools 11.02, just too many plugins.