Midi Conflicts between APC40 and Launchpad?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sdmiddleton

Midi Conflicts between APC40 and Launchpad?!

Post by sdmiddleton » Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 am

Hi All,

Sorry If i've missed this if this has been discussed previously, BUT, I'm trying to use the APC40 and LP together and when I'm assigning custom clips to the USER 1 panel on the LP, it seems to light up various lights on the APC40, such as Record or Solo Buttons.

I'm trying to work out how the APC midi channels work - the clips section seem to transmit on Midi channel 1, but when you go to the Arm/SOLO/Record section on each track, they transmit on Midi Channels 1 - 8 respectively.

Does anyone here have any idea what I'm talking about and if there's a solution for this thing and how to disassociate the APC and LP from each other so there are no Midi Overlaps, I'd be very grateful to know!!!

Many Thanks in Advance as always!!

S.

Faldoe

Re: Midi Conflicts between APC40 and Launchpad?!

Post by Faldoe » Thu May 13, 2010 6:33 am

Did you Midi Map anything with the controllers? If so, maybe open up the Midi map and see if anything is conflicting?

Also, you can see certain midi tracks to only receive messages from certain controllers and or midi channels...

How are the two controllers hooked up? Each one via Midi or USB? If the former, are they daisy chained? - I had a problem at one point where I was running my midi keyboard through my Midi Footcontroller cause I only had one Midi In. Sometimes the foot controller would trigger keyboard sounds when it wasn't supposed to.

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sat May 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Faldoe wrote:Did you Midi Map anything with the controllers? If so, maybe open up the Midi map and see if anything is conflicting?

Also, you can see certain midi tracks to only receive messages from certain controllers and or midi channels...

How are the two controllers hooked up? Each one via Midi or USB? If the former, are they daisy chained? - I had a problem at one point where I was running my midi keyboard through my Midi Footcontroller cause I only had one Midi In. Sometimes the foot controller would trigger keyboard sounds when it wasn't supposed to.
Only just had a chance to address this issue again, Cheers for the info, How do you set certain midi channels not to receive in Live?

It seems to me that the APC40 unnecessarily parks itself across 8 separate midi Channels, which means if you have a Launchpad and make custom assignments in the USER sections there will be conflicts.

Launchpad SESSION section transmits over midi channel 1, USER 1 on Midi 5, USER 2 on Midi 6 and Mixer on Midi 7. Therefore any custom mapping in the user 1 and User 2 sections will overwrite the Notes on the APC40 in TRACKS 5 and 6. This is really poor! Is there any way of rewiring the APC or LP so LP can transmit on midi channel 9 and 10 for example???

This would be great to know, unless there's another way round this I'm missing...

Cheers again!! :? :? :? :?

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Sat May 15, 2010 5:55 pm

On a midi track, under the little control surface tab - where you can choose "All midi deviecs" or whatever is plugged in and detected by Ableton, below that it lists all the Midi Channels. Maybe read your control's manuals to see what their default settings are...

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sat May 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Faldoe wrote:On a midi track, under the little control surface tab - where you can choose "All midi deviecs" or whatever is plugged in and detected by Ableton, below that it lists all the Midi Channels. Maybe read your control's manuals to see what their default settings are...
Oh yeah of course, unfortunately don't think this helps me, i need to know how to change the midi channels that the APC and/Or LP transmit on...Perhaps this is a bomes thing? I am confused though cos i'm sure I've read that the APC and LP can coexist seemlessly but not if they overlap midi channels and notes and start overwriting the others default settings... :cry: :?: :?: :cry:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 15, 2010 6:37 pm

stop thinking in terms of midi channel and think in terms of midi ports. stop sending midi to the APC from tracks that take midi in from the LP.

been using my APC and LP together for many months, no conflicts, unless I set them up like that.

IMO it is pretty funny watching the two light up 'random' lights. it seems they could be better orchestrated but they were made by two different companies, neither I respect that much for great design.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Sat May 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Tone Deft wrote:stop thinking in terms of midi channel and think in terms of midi ports. stop sending midi to the APC from tracks that take midi in from the LP.

been using my APC and LP together for many months, no conflicts, unless I set them up like that.

IMO it is pretty funny watching the two light up 'random' lights. it seems they could be better orchestrated but they were made by two different companies, neither I respect that much for great design.
I don't understand what you mean with "stop sending midi to the APC from tracks...". When I midi map a note of the LP to a clip, the clip reveives the note directly from the "remote" midi port, not from the "track" midi port (or what it is called in the midi port preferences) of the launchpad. You cannot choose which remote port sends to a track, you can only choose the track port I think.
As soon as you manually midi map a note of the launchpad that is used in the APC on the same midi channel, too, the APC gets confused. I mapped some buttons of my midi keyboard to "record", and then when I moved "pan" on the APC, "record" was flickering... 8O
Live 12.0.1; Push 2; Mac OS 12.7.4

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat May 15, 2010 7:41 pm

^^ not true... it doesn't recieve from 'remote'..
it recieves from 'control surface'.. which is a special script tailored for it..
try this..
turn 'remote' off for the apc.. and see that it still works for launching clips if configured as 'control surface'

'remote' is for ctrl-m style specific midi mapping

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sat May 15, 2010 8:19 pm

3dot... wrote:^^ not true... it doesn't recieve from 'remote'..
it recieves from 'control surface'.. which is a special script tailored for it..
try this..
turn 'remote' off for the apc.. and see that it still works for launching clips if configured as 'control surface'

'remote' is for ctrl-m style specific midi mapping
Genius! That seems to have solved it. Can't say i understand why, but ignorance is bliss if this continues to work, Thanks 3 dot!!!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat May 15, 2010 8:20 pm

yay ! :mrgreen:

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sat May 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Ok so just i just read the m-control part again, That makes sense now. I've always been baffled by the definitions of Track, Sync and Remote in the preferences pane. So i'm assuming the preferences follow ALL projects around and that preferences aren't project specific so you'd just have to remember to turn remote back on if you've 'cmd-m' mapped something with the APC...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

phipo

Post by phipo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 pm

hello

i have the same problem with the conflicts!
my setup contains an APC40, LauchPad, 25SL mkii and a monome64.

most conflicts happen between the APC and the 25SL mkii or APC and LP
i tried to set remote off but then other problems occur.
when i set remote off in port input of apc my custom maps on it disappear (ex. custom fader levels), when i set remote off in port output of the apc i keep my customs but some others get override (ex. device control) by the 25SL mkii.
the only solution that i can think of is one suggested in a previous post by "sdmiddleton"....change the midi channel, in all equipment, but how? i tried to change it from the audio/midi setup but it doesn't let me choose anything else than port 1 (same apply s to all controllers)

any suggestions?
thanks for reading this :)

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Hey Phipo,

I think what you need to di is go into preferences: MIDI SYNC... You should then have a list where you can activate various control surfaces..

Once you've activated your control surfaces, as long as there are no custom mappings I.e Remote is turned OFF for each controller, the Midi controllers should operate independently from each other...If you wanted a specific instrument to be assigned or locked to a specific Midi channel, on the session view you can go to the 'MIDI FROM' drop down list and instead of having to assign midi channels 1-16, you can select one of your Midi controllers as a midi Device (or midi port)...

I think this may work?