APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hanz_Petrov

Re: APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 am

fixed_up wrote:This seems to do something as now all my pads (including the solo/mute/cue and transport controls play a midi note. However I cannot get the step sequencer to run. When I hit shift and master volume nothing happens.
Have you selected the correct Input and Output ports under MIDI preferences? Have your turned Track and Remote to "On" for the MIDI input port?
kclarkmusic wrote:Has anyone figured out how, when using the Step sequencer, to change Midi clips and get the Button Mattrix to refresh? It seems as though it will only "change clips" if manually selected with the mouse.
You probably need to enable "Select on Launch" from the Preferences Record/Warp/Launch tab.

Hope that helps.

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 am

kclarkmusic wrote:Hello noble Ableton Enthusiasts,

Has anyone figured out how, when using the Step sequencer, to change Midi clips and get the Button Mattrix to refresh? It seems as though it will only "change clips" if manually selected with the mouse.

Example:

Clip one:
- Holds a sequence

Clip 2:
- Holds a different sequence

If I'm editing clip 1 in the step sequencer mode, then I go back to Clip Launch mode (Mode 1) and Launch Clip 2, Clip 2 then begins to play like you'd expect.

But when I go back to Step Sequencer mode, it is still focussed on Clip 1, and won't change to Clip 2 unless I select the clip with the mouse.

I've posted this on Hanz's blog but just thought I'd shop around for other help. I'll try posting it on Live forum as well.

Cheers,
Kendall Clark
kclarkmusic@gmail.com
http://www.kendallclarkmusic.com
http://www.neonblackmusic.com
Try this,
Go into the Preference's.
Go to the "Record, Warp, Launch" tab.
Turn on "Select on Launch"

Should now work without using the mouse :mrgreen: Have fun!!!!

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:47 am

Markemark wrote:
kclarkmusic wrote:Hello noble Ableton Enthusiasts,

Has anyone figured out how, when using the Step sequencer, to change Midi clips and get the Button Mattrix to refresh? It seems as though it will only "change clips" if manually selected with the mouse.

Example:

Clip one:
- Holds a sequence

Clip 2:
- Holds a different sequence

If I'm editing clip 1 in the step sequencer mode, then I go back to Clip Launch mode (Mode 1) and Launch Clip 2, Clip 2 then begins to play like you'd expect.

But when I go back to Step Sequencer mode, it is still focussed on Clip 1, and won't change to Clip 2 unless I select the clip with the mouse.

I've posted this on Hanz's blog but just thought I'd shop around for other help. I'll try posting it on Live forum as well.

Cheers,
Kendall Clark
kclarkmusic@gmail.com
http://www.kendallclarkmusic.com
http://www.neonblackmusic.com
Try this,
Go into the Preference's.
Go to the "Record, Warp, Launch" tab.
Turn on "Select on Launch"

Should now work without using the mouse :mrgreen: Have fun!!!!

This should work, but I have to add that it might mess up your other functions.. like when you launch a scene your master channel will get selected so if you were doing something else on a different track it shoots you over to your master track so you might get messed up by that.. I'd love it if "select on launch" was on a per-clip basis.

fixed_up

Post by fixed_up » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Hanz_Petrov wrote:
fixed_up wrote:This seems to do something as now all my pads (including the solo/mute/cue and transport controls play a midi note. However I cannot get the step sequencer to run. When I hit shift and master volume nothing happens.
Have you selected the correct Input and Output ports under MIDI preferences? Have your turned Track and Remote to "On" for the MIDI input port?

Hope that helps.

Hanz
In the first box it gives me the option to select 'APC 64 40' as the control surface but the next two drop down menus (input and output) only have the APC40 as an option. Track and remote is on for the midi input port.

tkothe

Post by tkothe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 am

Hi all,
I came across Hanz's scripts a while ago and have to say it's brilliant what he has put together! (including the very well written and informative blog posts).

So I started digging into the scripts taking the nanoPAD scripts from the site and modifying it for a AKAI LPD8. Now I've got two problems with this and maybe somebody here can help me with this:

1. The pads only trigger clips when hit with some minimum velocity. I'm not sure about the exact value but I think it must be around 64 (i.e. the middle of 0 and 128). I think I've seen a comment on Hanz's blog where someone was suggesting, that Live only treats velocity values from some value upwards as TRUE and thus only pads hit with the right velocity would actually trigger the clips. Is there any hint someone could give on solving this? Obviously I would like to trigger the clips no matter how hard I hit the Pads. I tried to edit the controller to send only high velocity but unfortunately this is not possible with the Editor. I guess I could use something like Bome's MIDI translator as a workaround but I would rather fix this issue within the script.

2. The LPD8 can send 8 program change messages. I would like to use these for moving the box around. I'm currently using CC messages (MIDI_CC_TYPE constant). Does anyonbody know of a way to use program change messages instead?

Thanks for any advice!

Kind Regards,
Till
--
Late '08 MacBook | Ableton Live Suite 8 | NI Audio Kontrol 1 | M-Audio Axiom 49 | Behringer FCB1010 | Korg nanoKONTROL | TouchOSC | AKAI LPD8

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Hanz_Petrov wrote: Okay, as promised, here's how to get the step sequencer to Navigate Up/Down 5 rows at a time:
In the file StepSequencerComponent.py, change the following lines:

Code: Select all

def _nav_up_value(self, value):
        assert (self._nav_up_button != None)
        assert (value in range(128))
        if self.is_enabled() and self._is_active:
            button_is_momentary = self._nav_up_button.is_momentary()
            if button_is_momentary:
                if (value != 0):
                    self._scroll_up_ticks_delay = INITIAL_SCROLLING_DELAY
                else:
                    self._scroll_up_ticks_delay = -1            
            if ((value != 0) or (not self._nav_up_button.is_momentary())):
                if self._key_index < (123 - self._height): #<------------------- Change from 128 to 123
                    self._key_index += 5 #<------------------------------------- Change from 1 to 5
                    self._update_matrix()

Hanz[/quote]

This worked great thanks HANZ! I did have to change,
assert (value in range(128)) to 123 as well to get the lowest C-2

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:This worked great thanks HANZ! I did have to change,
Glad it worked for you, but changing the "assert" line as you've done is basically forcing a (non-fatal) script error every time the MIDI nav value is higher than 122. To do it "properly", the code would need to drop the grid down below the lowest note, then filter out presses on blank rows (since C-2 can't be reached in steps of 5, starting from middle C, without including blank rows). I'll look at addressing this issue in the next revision.

Best,

Hanz

PS: Thanks to donations received so far, I've managed to fund the purchase of an APC20, which means I can start work on an APC20 version of the step sequencer (and probably some "APC80" combination mode stuff too). Stay tuned.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Hanz_Petrov wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:This worked great thanks HANZ! I did have to change,
Glad it worked for you, but changing the "assert" line as you've done is basically forcing a (non-fatal) script error every time the MIDI nav value is higher than 122. To do it "properly", the code would need to drop the grid down below the lowest note, then filter out presses on blank rows (since C-2 can't be reached in steps of 5, starting from middle C, without including blank rows). I'll look at addressing this issue in the next revision.

Best,

Hanz

PS: Thanks to donations received so far, I've managed to fund the purchase of an APC20, which means I can start work on an APC20 version of the step sequencer (and probably some "APC80" combination mode stuff too). Stay tuned.
So it would be better not to change the assert value and just set my lowest not to C#-2 for now?

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:53 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:So it would be better not to change the assert value and just set my lowest not to C#-2 for now?
Well, I'd be interested in seeing what your log.txt file looks like. If you are getting script errors after your mod, that's generally not a good thing. Dunno how often you need notes way down low like that either. ;-)

Best,

Hanz

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:40 pm

I usually start at the bottom of my Drum Racks using C-2 as the kick and work my way up. It's just the way I have always done it to keep things as organized as I can.

I'll be OK without the C-2.

Thanks HANZ

Megageoff

Post by Megageoff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:00 am

I got an APC40 a couple of days ago, and whilst I've been finding it very useful, I didn't realise how amazing it could become until I downloaded your mod- enormous thanks to you Hanz, you're an exceptionally talented and generous individual!
  • 2.53 Ghz Macbook Pro i5, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6.3, DIGI 002R, Live 8.2.6, APC40

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:46 pm

fixed_up wrote:I for the life of me cannot get this working! I'm obviously doing something blatantly wrong as everyone elses seems to be fine.

Ive moved the script into my live midi scripts folder and it shows up as a control surface in my live preferences.

This seems to do something as now all my pads (including the solo/mute/cue and transport controls play a midi note. However I cannot get the step sequencer to run. When I hit shift and master volume nothing happens.

Please help!
I have this occasionally still - try limiting the session grid to 5 tracks and selecting 'None' in control surface and then back to APC 64 40.

Let me know if it works as it sounds like you have the same problems I do and I couldn't find anyone else either!

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi Hanz. I've been loving this script!! I just got my new Mac (leaving Windows behind for a while) and noticed an issue on Mac that I didn't have on Windoze. When I use the "Send A" mode to do device control, whenever I scroll around in the session view, the knobs return to Send functionality until I move the focus to another track. It seems like when it's refreshing the controls as I move through the session view, it is going back to the send mode function until I invoke the device focus by changing tracks...

This is not a critical thing, it's just confusing in the heat of the moment when the knobs don't look as I expect them to.

S!
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

Johnny Vulcan

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:35 am

First off, I just want to give a huge thanks to Hanz for this amazing bit of work. I can see you've been really responsive to the community, and this script really is top notch.

I'd like to add one bug to the to-do list: In the step sequencer mode, if using the mouse to adjust a note or notes velocity in the midi editor, I'll get a forced "stop" of the gesture at the moment the APC gets an update of velocity color. Normally a tiny window opens showing you the velocity value of your selection, but I notice at the moment of the glitch, this value displays as something strange like -24100000 (not the exact number here, just an example). I'm not sure if this happens in other modes too, I'm not at my APC to test right now.

It's not a show stopper, but it makes the usual velocity editing difficult. Anyway, thanks again! I'll be donating.

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Just want to add my thanks to Hanz and ask if anyone knows if the apc-64-40 script will work ok in the latest update of live 8.22?

Thanks

:D