APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Matt_Quinn

Re: APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Thank you so much for this script. Ableton & Akai should really be kicking you a portion of every APC sold at this point.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:Thank you so much for this script. Ableton & Akai should really be kicking you a portion of every APC sold at this point.
I agree, this is long overdue, and Hanz should be compensated by Akai for not offering any kind of editor for the APC40. I mean really! The APC40 is the only controller I can think of that has no editing without 3rd party intervention.

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:09 pm

I've played with it briefly at this point. It's GREEAAAAT!

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks Hanz, this stuff is sick

I edited the matrix maps on my previous APC40_22 script, could I just copy that into this one?

Oh, and any updates on limiting note mode velocities? (EDIT: I see that in the documentation, nvm I guess.. since it's a hardware limitation)

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Dear Hanz,

This is fantastic what you did! (I only realised it just now when playing around with APC 64-40 script)

However, I have a few comments:

1. The step sequencer doesn't quite seem to work for me. The notes in the grid simply don't lid up when I press them and I don't hear any sound. I just configured an Ultra Analog synthesizer on track 1 and I hear it's playing when I use my MIDI keyboard. However, when I enter sequencer mode via Shift-Master on my APC40, I am not able to press any buttons in the note grid - they don't get lid up.

2. The Filter/EQ encoder control is fantastic! However:
a) EQ8 doesn't work - only EQ3 does.
b) EQ3 range for Low/Mid/High is extended to +6dB. Is it possible to make EQ operate only until 0 dB, perhaps, as an option? The reason is I don't want to clip the signal occasionally, and for obvious reasons one can't easily see where is 0.0dB by looking at the encoder knob.
c) Like someone else said, it would be amazing to have the possibility to use alternative EQ device instead of the built-in EQ/Filter, for example I prefer FabFilter Pro Q. Is that possible?

Best wishes!

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 pm

This is incredibly useful! Thanks!

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks for the kind words people.
JuanSOLO wrote:I like the idea of using the Cutoff/EQ setting, I just wish I could use my own FX Racks.

Lastly, and stated previously I would love, LED feedback in Matrix User 8 mode.

Do you see a DIY APC40 editor as a possibility? Some way to make an interface almost like automap, that would generate custom scripts for users?
I'll try to take a look at expanding the EQ/filter mode's range of operation.

LED feedback is still a bit of a distant dream; the LiveAPI's note translations are one-way, so the feedback gets sent to the original hardware point-of-origin. No easy way to intercept and translate, and once a button is manually mapped, it generally bypasses the script altogether.

The DIY editor is theoretically possible, but would probably prove too limiting to be very useful. Scripts with multiple layers of shited functions tend to get pretty complicated - too complicated to be worth automating.
flippo wrote:apart from adding CC's to the matrix customization! hehe
I've looked into this and at present it doesn't seem possible, without getting into virtual control surfaces, loop-back drivers, Bomes, M4L, etc. The hardware sends out notes, so that's what the script sees.
next wrote:does anybody know how (if its possible) to disable the extra controls for the track controls?
Is there a reason you need them disabled? They won't do anything at all, unless you press Send A, B or C while holding down Shift.
outershpongolia wrote:I edited the matrix maps on my previous APC40_22 script, could I just copy that into this one?

Oh, and any updates on limiting note mode velocities?
Yes, you can use your matrix maps from APC40_22 with APC 64-40 (no changes to that part of the script).

Limiting note velocities is not in the cards for the moment. I've looked at it in some depth and, like converting note to CCs, it doesn't seem possible, without making things messy. ;)
locojohn wrote: The notes in the grid simply don't lid up when I press them and I don't hear any sound.
The step sequencer needs a MIDI clip to work with (even an empty one will do).
locojohn wrote: a) EQ8 doesn't work - only EQ3 does.
b) EQ3 range for Low/Mid/High is extended to +6dB. Is it possible to make EQ operate only until 0 dB, perhaps, as an option? The reason is I don't want to clip the signal occasionally, and for obvious reasons one can't easily see where is 0.0dB by looking at the encoder knob.
c) Like someone else said, it would be amazing to have the possibility to use alternative EQ device instead of the built-in EQ/Filter, for example I prefer FabFilter Pro Q. Is that possible?
a) If I recall correctly, only the first 3 bands of EQ8 will get automapped in EQ mode. It does work however.
b) I'll have a look at limiting the range to 0dB - I think this has been requested previously.
c) See above.

Best,

Hanz

PS: If anyone is up for it, I'd love to see a video that demonstrates what this script is capable of, for my blog (I'm more of a mechanic than a race car driver, so I don't mind leaving the driving to someone else - as long as we win the race... ;)
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Hanz_Petrov wrote:,

Hanz

PS: If anyone is up for it, I'd love to see a video that demonstrates what this script is capable of, for my blog (I'm more of a mechanic than a race car driver, so I don't mind leaving the driving to someone else - as long as we win the race... ;)
I've been trying to get familiar enough with the script for the past few days for just such a purpose. I think I could have something for you by Friday.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:13 am

JuanSOLO wrote:
Hanz_Petrov wrote:,

Hanz

I've been trying to get familiar enough with the script for the past few days for just such a purpose. I think I could have something for you by Friday.
That'd be cool, I Want to show this to a few ppl who live elsewhere

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:42 am

Another vote here: Hanz for president!!
That he's always working on it and sharing it here for free
should al least end in a free ableton update and a free promo
version when akai comes with another apc version!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 am

maze23a wrote:Another vote here: Hanz for president!!
That he's always working on it and sharing it here for free
should al least end in a free ableton update and a free promo
version when akai comes with another apc version!
Agreed!

I love the mechanic comparison as well!

Cheers
D

flippo

Post by flippo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Hanz_Petrov wrote:
flippo wrote:apart from adding CC's to the matrix customization! hehe
I've looked into this and at present it doesn't seem possible, without getting into virtual control surfaces, loop-back drivers, Bomes, M4L, etc. The hardware sends out notes, so that's what the script sees.
oh well, not to worry. thanks for looking into it, though. So far I've been able to achieve what I need by assigning the buttons to launch clips that send out CC data to midi-yoke. Not perfect but definitely workable!
Hanz_Petrov wrote: PS: If anyone is up for it, I'd love to see a video that demonstrates what this script is capable of, for my blog (I'm more of a mechanic than a race car driver, so I don't mind leaving the driving to someone else - as long as we win the race... ;)
I have a couple of uses for it in my setup that are probably novel enough to warrant a little interest, I will definitely let you know when I've recorded something!

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 pm

HI, Hanz,

Matrix Mode 6 starts one line higher - shouldn't it start on C1 rather than E1? (I know I can use the midi function to -4, but.........

Thanks for the program, again, though!!!!!

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:16 pm

I think it'd be great if Ableton could put a redbox in the piano roll for this steq sequencer..

it would show you which 5 notes your 5 rows correspond to, and it would also change length as the quantize and clip size changed, that'd be sweet

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:33 pm

outershpongolia wrote:I think it'd be great if Ableton could put a redbox in the piano roll for this steq sequencer..

it would show you which 5 notes your 5 rows correspond to, and it would also change length as the quantize and clip size changed, that'd be sweet
Wishful thinking ;-)

At least, it would be great if they included Hanz's remote scripts as default in the Live installation, so with each update we all wouldn't need to copy the remote scripts to App-Resources/....

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/