Text / Notes plugin for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
puzl

Text / Notes plugin for Live

Post by puzl » Fri May 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Is there any way to jot down text-based notes inside an Ableton project? I keep coming back to old songs where I have guitar parts that I don't remember at all what chords or notes I'm playing... I can figure it out eventually (haha obviously I'm a fairly amateur guitarist), but, it would nice if I could just attach some sort of note to the audio track itself and jot that info down so that I can quickly reference it later. I'm sure there's probably some sort of guitar tabulature / notation application, but, a simple text note would be useful in other instances as well... like if you are listening back and brainstorming about a particular song or arrangement, you could write down your ideas within the song and come back to them at a later point. I could just do this with text files outside of the program, but, it would be mo better to do it inside of Live. FL Studio had this feature and I found it rather useful.

Lazos

Re: Text / Notes plugin for Live

Post by Lazos » Fri May 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Open the info view in the bottom left corner. Hover your mouse over a track title bar. Right/control click >edit info text. When you next hover your mouse over the track title bar with the info pane open, your text will show up.

Not ideal (you can't copy and paste from another document, for instance, and your text space never gets bigger than track view size), but it works for what it is. I use it here and there.

puzl

Post by puzl » Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 pm

that'll definitely work, thanks for the tip

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Fri May 14, 2010 5:46 pm

If I could 'flag' and attach little notes to effect parameters, knobs I would use that feature ALL the time while I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve.

Ability to add custom descriptions and remind myself of what "size", "freeze", "cut" functions do in reverb for example would be incredible.

For those teaching Ableton, this would be a very useful tool also. Think of the project templates you could make.
I'm in the process of showing my girlfriend around Ableton and that would save so much time and would just be a much more efficient way of teaching/learning.