DJ's that use Live?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:13 am

its good to see that it not all vinyl purists moaning on about how technology will be the death of the dj er 'artform'. dont get me wrong, i've been djing for 12 years with my 1210's and i've got more vinyl than i know what to do with. I also bought the new tascam TTM cd system 3 months ago. then i bought live to studio set up...

its all change i havent touched the 1210's in weeks. i cant understand people/ dj's like jeff mills who spend thousands on the most up to date technology to make their music. then insist on playing it on technology that been around for thirty years or more???? what the fucks all that about? computers - cheating some my ask? i stated, i've been mixing for 12 years - no ones going to tell me i cant mix. but one thing i found out early on is if you can program forget it. that why live is really pushing things on by allowing originality and creativity. djs who get paid top dollar and have little creative talent will have to either raise their game or fall by the way side. as for me apart from some stuff on cd etc its a laptop and live from now on.

preach brother preach.

A DJ

Post by A DJ » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:14 pm

i havent touched my SL's in months, but thats because i had to sell them 2gether with my pioneer djm-600 to get a laptop and Live, plus some additional hardware

TBH i miss em :(

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:44 pm

nuperspective wrote:computers - cheating some my ask? i stated, i've been mixing for 12 years - no ones going to tell me i cant mix. but one thing i found out early on is if you can program forget it. that why live is really pushing things on by allowing originality and creativity. djs who get paid top dollar and have little creative talent will have to either raise their game or fall by the way side. as for me apart from some stuff on cd etc its a laptop and live from now on.
you know, in the last year i've been really put off by the idea of using Live for DJing. but after reading some posts, many of which hit on the same points that you have just mentioned above, i can see the viability.

I still prefer to use Live for live acts and final scratch for DJing, but thats personal preference. But really i could see how DJing with live in a similar fashion to how i do live acts with Live (pieces parts, plus some phrases) could make for a great set. Maybe i'm just selfish and i'd rather use the great technology that is Live for my own music on stage, or maybe i am still living in the past with the notion that DJs use turntables or cdjs. Its not that i don't embrace technology, i thought final scratch was the best of both worlds = Technics control, with digital convenience. I guess i am just struggling with the definitions of DJ and Live Act as for me they are two seperate things, but for others the line between the two is getting more and more invisible.

i never liked the term "DJ/Remixer" but with live the term is becoming much more true to its definition.