You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
patekswiss

Re: You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Post by patekswiss » Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 pm

G. wrote:I played a 2h set saturday night. no crash, no problem.
Live was pushed to its "limits", with 132 audio tracks, 2.5Go of samples loaded, 178 scenes, effects and VSTs, and one m4l device.

8.1.3 is the more stable version at this time for me...

g

Hi. What CPU, operating system and VSTs?

My work is mostly VSTs, AUs and other "instruments." I don't do DJ stuff or a lot of audio sampling or loops.

I'm glad its working for you. But something is very wrong.

patekswiss

Post by patekswiss » Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm

davepermen wrote:and that's why it's important to find out what the differences in those setups are, to find out what triggers the bugs. maybe some of your vsts need some bugfixes, too? maybe one of your soundcard/external devices drivers needs an update, too? maybe your mac needs a general update, as you're not on a stable release? etc etc.
Agreed, but let's not be too quick to blame the third parties.

Many of us, including me, are using those identical VSTs and AUs with other DAWs, and not having any issues. Second, when it is a particular VST, in my anecdotal experience that becomes pretty obvious after a while. The problems with Live 8.x happen under a wide variety of circumstances with differing third party stuff. They don't seem to relate to the complexity of the Live Set or the amount of CPU usage.

Still, I'm sad, as I love Live and would love to continue to use it as my go-to DAW. I'm just too nervous right now.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon May 17, 2010 11:58 pm

for me massive got better with that last update, but stay the hell away from kontakt 4 until you get a newer update.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue May 18, 2010 12:00 am

it just works

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 18, 2010 3:52 am

djsynchro wrote:it just works

I'm liking where you're always going with that.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

theque

Post by theque » Tue May 18, 2010 6:19 am

tons of crashes here, seems to be worse than before. i upgraded to snow leopard to see if that was the problem, but no. starting to get rather pissed off.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue May 18, 2010 7:25 am

I've been using live 8 since the release, updated every time with the Suite download (to have the elite grey splash screen), I'm now using 8.1.3, and still, no mail from Ed Bangers to offer me an artist contract :(

Fuck Live, I should have stick with Logic !

:mrgreen:

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Tue May 18, 2010 9:40 am

To all the people that are complaining with live being unstabil and say bad words all the time:
The only thing you cause is a bad atmposhere! So please be more kind!

Ableton live (and especially M4L) is a software that boldly goes beyond what other software developers offer or would try to offer. So if we want to take advantage of those features we should be patient. For normal recording and sequencing it works pretty well. And if you want to have a program that only supports the normal stuff - but always stabil - then you should go for logic or whatever.

AND: I find the ableton support REALLY helpfull. This are guys who really know their business and they answer pretty quickly, if you have in mind how many emails they receive a day...

BUT: Yes. The current version of Live (8.1.3) is too unstabil in my opinion. I have chashes every 10 minutes and they are caused by several reasons and I've got never 3rd party things involved.

So please would you hurry up to give us a more stabil version of live?

kindest regards,
ring

risome1

Post by risome1 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 am

I have found Live 8.1.3 very stable
Running osx10.6 x and no problems.I not sure what these people are doing to get it to crash all the time
www.voltagedisciple.com
LIVE Packs and VST sounds

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Speak to support about your issues. Don't just send bug reports. Actually pick up the phone or email them.

You are more likely to get an answer.

And, check how much ram your projects are using. if it's more than 2.25 gigs of system ram then live will crash on osx.

Changing presets on massive might cause this problem if you are at the upper limit.

Apparently the system info isn't displaying the amount of ram used according to an email support sent me.
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue May 18, 2010 12:07 pm

theque wrote:tons of crashes here, seems to be worse than before. i upgraded to snow leopard to see if that was the problem, but no. starting to get rather pissed off.
i'm curious a bit, apple people are the kind that never consider fresh reinstalls normally. has anyone actually tried installing the most recent snow leopard, the most recent live and the most recent vsts/hardware drivers for its stuff, and then tried with new sets freshly made instead of ones that got upconverted many times and might have their roots in live 7 or older?

I'm just curious if that changes something. the general consus on windows is to do that if software behaves erratic that doesn't on other systems. i know, shouldn't be needed nowadays. but updating/upgrading from one buggy version to a next might not be the best way, no clue.

only for those that do have the time to test, of course. if that helps ableton might have to consider working on some cleanup-routine for the next update that might have to cleanup old corrupt stuff, not just patch some code. i just don't know how far someone looked in that direction yet?
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue May 18, 2010 1:34 pm

tw1nstates wrote:Speak to support about your issues. Don't just send bug reports. Actually pick up the phone or email them.

You are more likely to get an answer.
Apologies upfront for the rant.

I still haven't had a response, other than a we will look into it reply, to a confirmed and repeatable bug that someone else reported in Aug '09 and that I contacted them about by email in Dec '09. I mentioned it to Dennis DeSantis in another post a month ago, got an apology, but still no response from support.
The bug is still present in 8.1.3, I've given up trying the beta's so I'm not sure about 8.1.4b1.

I'm pretty dissapointed with Ableton at the moment, especially after considering Gerhards "quality" statement from DEC '09!
Gerhard wrote:Some of you have experienced and reported problems with Live 8 several months ago that we have still failed to fix. This is both painful and necessary for us to discuss. We owe you sincere apologies, as well as an explanation and outlook for the future.
I'm not even expecting a fix, as the bug involves a vst plugin, but I do expect some kind of response back.

Rant over.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 pm

davepermen wrote:
theque wrote:I'm just curious if that changes something. the general consus on windows is to do that if software behaves erratic that doesn't on other systems. i know, shouldn't be needed nowadays. but updating/upgrading from one buggy version to a next might not be the best way, no clue.

just curious if ableton agrees with this. I've lots of apple people complaining as well.

It would be great if ableton was a little more forthcoming with this info, as far as which OS is having the most problems as far as which plugs are having the most issues.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue May 18, 2010 1:59 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:
davepermen wrote:
theque wrote:I'm just curious if that changes something. the general consus on windows is to do that if software behaves erratic that doesn't on other systems. i know, shouldn't be needed nowadays. but updating/upgrading from one buggy version to a next might not be the best way, no clue.

just curious if ableton agrees with this. I've lots of apple people complaining as well.

It would be great if ableton was a little more forthcoming with this info, as far as which OS is having the most problems as far as which plugs are having the most issues.
i'm thinking more in the lines of is there a difference if one had leopard, and upgraded to snow leopard, compared to one who buyed a new system that has snow leopard clean (and minor versions similar). same for one downloading and installing 8.1.3 on a fresh snow leopard system compared to one upgrading trough all versions of os and live towards snow leopard and 8.1.3.

in short: one with lots of problems and not a too complex setup (say apc40 + maybe massive, and that's it) should try reinstalling clean to the exact same setup, but without all the upgradings and crashings along the line. maybe that does help. maybe people tried? i haven't seen much info about it. anyone tried that? had success? or no difference?

but yeah, if ableton has a list of common combinations that lead to problems, it would be nice to publish it. not on the main page, but on this forum here.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue May 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Work fine here, MBP 13" / osx 10.6.3 / Core 2 duo 2.53 Ghz / 8 go / SSD drive / Live 8.1.3 :D