Lexicon I-ONIX U42S any problems on a mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Salty P

Lexicon I-ONIX U42S any problems on a mac?

Post by Salty P » Tue May 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Seen lots of positive things written, but everyone seems to be running windows. Just wondered if there were any mac users who've got/had one and if there's been any issues?

Cheers

Salty P

Re: Lexicon I-ONIX U42S any problems on a mac?

Post by Salty P » Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Bumpty!

Anyone?

parma

Post by parma » Tue May 18, 2010 7:11 pm

I would advise against it.

I have one sitting on my desk right now and regret getting it. The hardware is nice and the form-factor is perfect but the drivers are atrocious. I have to unplug/replug the USB cable after waking my mac pro from sleep in order to get the I-ONIX to be recognized. Occasionally it will be recognized, but I will still need to unplug/replug before any audio is passed through. Once while performing this procedure, a kernel panic occurred.

I wish I had done more research before buying. It is not USB class compliant so it is entirely dependent on Lexicon fixing the driver. Unfortunately, Lexicon support is pretty bad. I've sent several emails detailing my issues (even included crash logs) to Lexicon and all they have said is "we'll have our driver developers look into it." Well, it turns out that their drivers are written by a third party (www.usb-audio.com). I've contacted this company and they haven't been very much help either - they basically told me they would "look into it."

I think Lexicon knows they have some major problems - in the last couple weeks they completely got rid of their user forum which was full of complaints. There was a guy on the board who is a software programmer of some sort and absolutely tore them apart for how poorly written the driver is - he showed actual chunks of code and suggested ways in which it could be fixed (of course, all that is gone now that they deleted the forum). They got it right with the hardware but their driver support is horrible.

I'm running 10.5.8 on a Mac Pro.

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Tue May 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Cheers parma,

I thought it was a bit odd I couldn't find a forum on the Lexicon site.

That really sucks balls, It really did seem to be what I was looking for :(

Cheers for the heads up matey.