Making the switch to logic

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Making the switch to logic

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Audio Desk is a waste of time, don't bother.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm

@ Leeds: Where did you hear that Live 9 might be 64 bit? With all the problems they are having with 3rd party plugin handling I wonder if that will happen. Also, that's quite a big project for a year where they stopped working on the next release. Just saying, but I definitely hope it is 64 bit.

Live does not comp takes, it can be set up in a way but nothing like how Pro Tools 8 handles it with playlists. Live does so many things that are fairly unique to it but it's not really setup for large amounts of program information. Lack of 2nd monitor support, no track comping, dedicated import menus, automation curves, or group/automation menus etc. That said I absolutely love creating in Live. It's my favorite DAW by far but I don't mix down in it anymore and probably won't track everything in it much longer either. Eventually will use it more for writing, sound design, arranging, and live performance. Which is a hell of lot! :D

Personally I wouldn't judge a program it's included effects and instruments, but for a lot of people that is very important. Sounds like Logic's handling of Midi is a big plus for you, so that'll be really helpful. Session view is really important for me in terms of the writing process, especially at the beginning.

I think Live and Logic (or Pro Tools or Cubase or whatever) would be an excellent combination. Sounds redundant but then again you don't use one delay or one compressor, or one pair of shoes for summer and winter either. I've heard Logic is excellent, good luck with it and I hope you still get enjoyment out of Live as well. They're both fantastic programs.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 pm

anybody human wrote: I think Live and Logic (or Pro Tools or Cubase or whatever) would be an excellent combination. Sounds redundant but then again you don't use one delay or one compressor, or one pair of shoes for summer and winter either. I've heard Logic is excellent, good luck with it and I hope you still get enjoyment out of Live as well. They're both fantastic programs.
Exactly!
Live is #1, but I use DP and Logic as well as ReNoise on occasion. The change can kick start the creative juices sometimes.

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Fri May 21, 2010 8:15 am

SubFunk wrote:if the workflow suits you, then go logic.

it is a great program and extremely CPU efficient.

what more is there to say?

i use both Logic8 (don't really need time stretch / warping) and live8

except the session view, you said you hardly need, Logic does all you need with a much greater CPU efficiency.

it is a bit harder to learn, but well worth it, it is a stronger program... (depending what you do / need, not all it can do you might need)

if linear sequencing is anyway your thing... and you don't need it for stage performances... then it is surely the better choice, IMO.

for me personally the session view / clips is all that keeps me staying with ableton live.
This is word for word what I would've said, exactly the same circumstances and opinion here (Live8/Logic8 user).

J

Ninja-Matic

Post by Ninja-Matic » Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 pm

I use both.

Logic is my main launching platform for creation and I Rewire Ableton to Logic - track by track.

I can't say which I like better - but all of my bounces come from Logic. They both have pros and cons - so I try to exploit the pros of both DAWs as best I can for each tune I make.

On stage - it's all Live and Reason (for stability/ease of use).

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri May 21, 2010 3:41 pm

it just works

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Fri May 21, 2010 8:42 pm

i´m using both too... best of two worlds.

the funny thing: i can come up with the same idea... when i go into live it will sound complete different to the same idea worked out in logic!

i don´t miss anything in logic, exept the session view (which is very often a time killer and prevent me from finishing tracks) and the easy going sounddesign... simplers gui is so fast, same with routing/sidechaning etc...

but i miss a very lot in live! midi-filter, score-editor, screen-sets, force legato, event list, mp3 export, scaleable gui (without changing preferences)... endless list, but most of all i miss the possibility to open more than one track in the midi-editor! copying three notes from one track to the other, transpose it and make the velocity 30% softer and copy it a little laid back... just a few keystrokes on logic!

so much of my tracks in live get more "dancy"... less music and more repititions with lot of sound design.