That Clicking sound!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
warthog303

That Clicking sound!!

Post by warthog303 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 am

Why is that sometimes when Im trying to make a Synth patch I sometimes get a clicking sound at the start??? I especially notice this on Analog! Iv even got the volume attack up to 300ms and it still clicks and this is all when the channel is soloed.

Im wandering if it could maybe be something to do with my audio card??
Any thoughts???

prebentious

Re: That Clicking sound!!

Post by prebentious » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 am

Are you hitting the same note repeatedly? Analog can't overlap two instances of the same pitch, so it resets the envelope, which can cause a click. It's super-annoying

warthog303

Post by warthog303 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:54 am

prebentious wrote:Are you hitting the same note repeatedly? Analog can't overlap two instances of the same pitch, so it resets the envelope, which can cause a click. It's super-annoying

Baically, Im trying to make a repeating half bar bass patch with only 2 different notes (at different keys) repeating over and over (at the moment) for a tech-house tune Im working on.

So, I recreated the patch near enough using sylenth and the same midi file and theres no click!

Im not to technically minded so Im just gonna move on and use Sylenth, but yeah maybe it is to do with the way analog handles envelopes.

Should of just used sylenth to start with!! lol/

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed May 19, 2010 8:21 pm

increase the attack time a bit?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

warthog303

Post by warthog303 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:52 am

Jekblad wrote:increase the attack time a bit?

as I said, even at 300ms it still clicks, which is pretty useless for the kind of bass Im trying to create.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 am

Ooops. I totally missed that part. Hope u got it man!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

naph

Post by naph » Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

having the same issue with operator when having long release times in monophonic mode.. as soon as a new note is triggered, the first one is cut and generates the click. especially on lower pitches like basslines.

not a huge deal once everything is in the mix, but would be nice to understand how to fix it..

i'm sure i am doing somewthing wrong, could be nice to know if there's something i can change to avoid it (envelopes? retrigger?, phase?).

warthog303

Post by warthog303 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:22 am

funny, trying it in operator was the next thing I was gonna do!!! when I get time I'll try it, maybe its the way AAS?? do their envelopes?

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 am

Maybe try increasing the glide or portamento (I can't remember what it's called on Analog... in fact, I can't remember if Analog even has this feature). This will make the new notes sort of blend in with the old a bit, and sort of fade between the two notes. I'm not much of a synth expert, but it may help

naph

Post by naph » Fri May 21, 2010 10:13 am

Zeddy wrote:Maybe try increasing the glide or portamento (I can't remember what it's called on Analog... in fact, I can't remember if Analog even has this feature). This will make the new notes sort of blend in with the old a bit, and sort of fade between the two notes. I'm not much of a synth expert, but it may help

that's what i thought aswell, but i still get that big impulse on new notes triggering..

or i'm missing something, or there's something not completely right going on here.

i mean, this doesn't happen at all when gliding between two different notes, but when i retrigger the same note, i get the big spike.

brovski

Post by brovski » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 pm

same problem has been bothering me for a really long time now..

i just can't believe that it's a bug in live - we have 8th version of live now and this problem still hasn't been fixed by almighty people at ableton? something's not right here.. i'm still kind of hoping that this is me doing something wrong, but as someone said before, the clicking noise is still there, even with attack higher than 300ms!!! i've got different long sustained bass notes, with glide on (50%), the analog working as a mono synth, the release is pretty short and i just can't get rid of this annoying click sound!

would be great to finally find the solution or at least know the answer on what is causing an unwanted clicking noise?

lucashouses

Post by lucashouses » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:27 am

what prebentious said is true, when the envelopes suddenly stop after the note has already ended it resets, causing a click... i was having that problem with the operator right now, and a solution i found was to turn down the decay (not the release!), because i found out my kick had a 10 second decay (lol)... it's not that simple (because you have to adjust the decay and the slope in a way that your instrument will not sound any different) but it worked

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Yeah, unfortunately there really isn't a simple fix and it can be quite frustrating! If you are planning on bouncing your bass line to an audio file, then I suggest duplicating the midi track so you have two identical instruments, then alternating each pitch/attack between the two. That way the envelope isn't crowded and you hopefully won't get any clicking. Just an idea. You'll have to play around to get it right either way. Good luck!

Ultra Sound

Post by Ultra Sound » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:05 am

yes i am also getting this problem. its making me think operator isnt that good after all.

donmich

Post by donmich » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:02 pm

I saw this thread just as I was coming out the U-he thread. Its something I always hated but accepted and adjusted my settings for when possible and changed directions when not.
Its my biggest complaint about the Arturia synths which I think are otherwise pretty gorgeous.

When I started using U-he stuff, the problem almost entirely goes away. So much so that I consider it a non issue with them. Aesthetics aside, it just seems Uhe have raised the bar by making better designs with fewer shiite artefacts. I hate all my other synths now! Wish I didnt. Come to think of it though I cant recall if Massive has "the click". I mostly found it on Arturia stuff when making bass sounds using LPF's.

Another option, to make the best use of existing synths is to, when possible use a high quality filter like Etch or FF, while enjoying the oscilators and quirks of other favourite synths. I find this helps alot.