What's up with the Props???????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Re: What's up with the Props???????????

Post by Poster » Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 pm

ophidite wrote:A private vidéo on YouTube showed Some new instruments
inside record
looks like an mpc
link?

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
robtronik wrote:I'm hoping that Recycle works in the same way Reason works with Record. It is stand alone if you want to use it that way (and can purchase as a separate product), but if you own Record, it just integrates itself into the workflow without having to start up the program (just like Reason does now with Record).

That would be a pretty awesome solution and provide the best of both worlds. Many people use Recycle as a stand alone product still - so you don't want to abandon that benefit still IMO.

rob.
Yeah, I haven't picked up a copy of Recycle yet, but every time I've used it, it's been the best program out there besides Live itself for finding loop points in sampled material that are musical, even if the sampled material is just random noise.

Have to say I'm liking Propellerheads closed system approach in that they don't seem to use third party developers much if at all.
I wonder how stable Reason/Record will be after all this? considering that Reason was dead stable in that there was few things that interacted with their code, just MIDI controllers and audio out?
If they added functionality to Reason/Record for live performance, Ableton would be in trouble IMO.

A bunch of folks in the reason forum keep talking about how all these things are perfect for "live performance". I can see how the live sampling is pretty raw but I still don't see how this can compete with Ableton. Maybe I'm not getting how block will be amazing for live performance. To me nothing out there is as good as session view. If I could import audio on the fly in reason/record I would say that blocks would be revolutionary. Since I have to stop audio to import audio it makes things very difficult to do stuff for a true live performance. That means that you have to plan stuff out and that is just for producers, not musicians.

I've signed on for beta so I'll know soon enough but I really don't see it this beating out ableton.

Hopefully we will be able to do the live sampling while reason/record is in rewire mode into Ableton. I also hope that ableton 8 will be compatible with reason 5/record 1.5 when it comes out at the end of the summer. I mean no crashes

honestly unless Fri thing is earth shattering I've become even more of an ableton fan and I did not see that one coming.

Thought reason 5 would heal cripples and help the bliind to see :mrgreen:
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 pm

I guess you're talking about the Live sampling feature coming to Ableton but honestly its hilarious to me to think Live has to catch up with anything in sampling - the whole damn program is a big sampler....
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 pm

I don't think you can beat the Ableton Live session view on its own terms. Its a very well thought out paradigm for a certain way to perform live using software.

So, I would expect the Props to think about the live performance options differently - and in the case of Reason/Record build in the option of optimizing a linear (maybe) way to perform live using Song files.

But who knows - maybe they have a Live performance mode planned where the blocks and possible live sampling and/or this king device plays a role in being able to perform live.

Anytime you introduce something like a Block or a Clip feature, it kinda has to beg the question whether you can rearrange on the fly or not for live performance...

Lots of people use Reason live already, but its more for playing it as a instrument, not on the fly arrangement playback like Session view allows in Live.
http://www.robtronik.com | DJ Mixes, Blogtronik, Event Schedule

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu May 27, 2010 9:56 pm

KONG

You can see it in the video preview but you can't watch the video

http://en.audiofanzine.com/general-sequ ... .6839.html

Either way I'm happy....to see that they entered the mpc style phase

Word
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu May 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Kong must be the last promo.
Terrence Lennon

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 pm

nylarch wrote:I guess you're talking about the Live sampling feature coming to Ableton but honestly its hilarious to me to think Live has to catch up with anything in sampling - the whole damn program is a big sampler....
You know, I just think if Live incorporated that feature it would help refine the workflow. I'm a big Sampler user and I'm constantly using Live as a sound design tool by resampling and using Sampler. Now that I think about it, two features that Ableton could integrate into Live to make it a supreme sampling workstation would be 1) Live Sampling like Propellerheads with automatic sample start detection and full-fledged sample editor; 2) the ability to automatically make a multi-sample library for Sampler from any midi instrument.

And Ableton could also take Blocks further because of session view and clips. I could imagine a "Blocks"-like mode where you can set all clips in a block to be updated by the same events. Scenes could take on Block-like functionality for arrangement mode. Basically, I think there are some ideas in Blocks that Live could use to help bridge Session and Arrangement view.

Maybe all this can be accomplished by Max4live? I'm still on Live 7 though because of the stability issues.

Anyway, I'm not thinking to much about the whole thing, but Reason and Record are now definitely something I would like to add to my tools because I'm always maxing out my processor in Live and I'd like something self-contained. Like a workstation kind of thing.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Hmm, the addition of KONG is no real surprise, I figured the last piece would have to be something rhythm / drum specific. Looks like the groove agent thing added to Cubase 5, though a lot more complex, if that screenshot is any indication. Problem is, I'm so covered between Drum Racks and now even moreso MASCHINE that a drum tool in Reason is the least of my concerns. But it does make sense.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri May 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri May 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Kong looks good and to be honest, i'm probably going to upgrade my R2.5 license so I get to use all their new goodies from the past 6 yrs or so, however, it still isn't complete, I was rather hoping for instrument building capabilities (Reaktor stylee), rather than ready made - get what you're given tools....however, the biggest omission (in my opinion) is the fact that Recycle is still an external app......it's the clunkiest way of chopping up a sample ever....and the most expensive!!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Kong looks pretty nice, very interested.

Laroche

Post by Laroche » Fri May 28, 2010 2:07 pm

KONG looks King.

BUT... I just got GURU! Grr... on top of that, I don't know how much you guys know about this but the patch browser is so slow for samples in Reason that's it's basically impossible to use for anyone with a semi-decent amount of samples in a folder. I mean, there's this one folder I got that opens instantly with Guru, but takes 7-10 minutes, no joke, to open with Reason. And then, god forbid there's another sub-folder I have to go through..

AND THEN.. whenever you load a song, it goes through the same folders to load the samples, so it happens EVERYTIME YOU LOAD A SONG. FUCK.

Not sure how useful Kong will be, no matter how pretty and exciting, with a limitation like that.

Unworkable.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri May 28, 2010 3:17 pm

all of this definitely competes with Maschine and Akai stuff - but without the HW. I own the Maschine HW so MIDI set up here we come.

Nice to see this stuff come to fruition. I now hope that Recycle works like Reason into Record and it will be an amazing workflow...

its pretty damn good now as it is...

rob.
http://www.robtronik.com | DJ Mixes, Blogtronik, Event Schedule

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri May 28, 2010 3:29 pm

The best stuff is in the additional announcements

http://www.propellerheads.se/reason5/in ... ticle=more

individual time stretch for different audio clips. For those who don't know Record time stretch algorithm is the best in the industry at the moment. Now that you can stretch anything in different way is will be the best way to do solid remixing without having the pitch adjustments that I get in live

trigger loops from midi controllers

Now I know this is nothing new for this crowd but stability is the name of their game and they just really jumped into a up to date perfromance software

By no means am I giving up live, unless it continues to crash....

But it is nice that I can reply completely on reason/record if I need to.

The only thing I would miss would really be reaktor, hence while I'll stick with live as a host.

Please finish FIXING LIVE so we can all use these two DAW's together instead of having to choose

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri May 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Laroche wrote:KONG looks King.

BUT... I just got GURU! Grr... on top of that, I don't know how much you guys know about this but the patch browser is so slow for samples in Reason that's it's basically impossible to use for anyone with a semi-decent amount of samples in a folder. I mean, there's this one folder I got that opens instantly with Guru, but takes 7-10 minutes, no joke, to open with Reason. And then, god forbid there's another sub-folder I have to go through..

AND THEN.. whenever you load a song, it goes through the same folders to load the samples, so it happens EVERYTIME YOU LOAD A SONG. FUCK.

Not sure how useful Kong will be, no matter how pretty and exciting, with a limitation like that.

Unworkable.
My advice is stick to Guru, I played around with a lot on a friends system and loved every minute of it.

You can write an entire tune with that piece of software alone...ok, it's not much of a synthesiser but I'd definitely be more than happy to have a Guru license of my own.