What's up with the Props???????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rompling

Re: What's up with the Props???????????

Post by rompling » Fri May 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Laroche wrote:KONG looks King.

BUT... I just got GURU! Grr... on top of that, I don't know how much you guys know about this but the patch browser is so slow for samples in Reason that's it's basically impossible to use for anyone with a semi-decent amount of samples in a folder. I mean, there's this one folder I got that opens instantly with Guru, but takes 7-10 minutes, no joke, to open with Reason. And then, god forbid there's another sub-folder I have to go through..

AND THEN.. whenever you load a song, it goes through the same folders to load the samples, so it happens EVERYTIME YOU LOAD A SONG. FUCK.

Not sure how useful Kong will be, no matter how pretty and exciting, with a limitation like that.

Unworkable.

one of the things on this http://www.propellerheads.se/reason5/in ... ticle=more is faster sample loading but have guru as well and haven`t really noticed much lag with reason sample loading times but for them to improve it must be a problem :P
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri May 28, 2010 4:01 pm

did you notice this on their "more" page:

http://www.propellerheads.se/reason5/in ... ticle=more
Scale Clips by Resizing
By pressing the alt or option key, Record 1.5 lets you timestretch individual clips. Now you can stretch loops to match your song's tempo, or expand samples to eight times the length for completely new sounds.
I wonder how this will be in use - will this sound better than the warping available in Live? Hm...

rob.
http://www.robtronik.com | DJ Mixes, Blogtronik, Event Schedule

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri May 28, 2010 5:18 pm

robtronik wrote:did you notice this on their "more" page:

http://www.propellerheads.se/reason5/in ... ticle=more
Scale Clips by Resizing
By pressing the alt or option key, Record 1.5 lets you timestretch individual clips. Now you can stretch loops to match your song's tempo, or expand samples to eight times the length for completely new sounds.
I wonder how this will be in use - will this sound better than the warping available in Live? Hm...

rob.

There is no doubt that it will sound better than live's "warping"

That is one of the things I struggle with is being able to get acapella's to sound good when you change the temp drastically in live. :cry:

that's one of the great things about record time stretch
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri May 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Thinking aloud here: In Reason 5, if you could export a Block - wouldn't that be similar to an Ableton Live Clip? And if so, wouldn't this be a core component for on the fly arrangements for performing music live within a future version of Reason - or a whole new performance software from Propellerheads... hm.

This is one of the core values of having an all in one system that doesn't allow for VST's etc. You could literally wrap up everything into a Block export...

interesting... Just guessing... but that would be quite an evolutionary step.

rob.

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri May 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Arent the Blocks more like Scenes?

I want Kong-4-Live!
hrhr

As I am actually bothering with drum-synthesis this hits the nail on my head! I used Reason in the past and I still liked it, but as I do not poo money, I have to stay at my decision to switch to live (as I did not pay for Reason this was no big deal...).
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Blocks are definitely more like Scenes and not at all like Clips.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri May 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Der_Makrophag wrote:Arent the Blocks more like Scenes?

I want Kong-4-Live!
hrhr

As I am actually bothering with drum-synthesis this hits the nail on my head! I used Reason in the past and I still liked it, but as I do not poo money, I have to stay at my decision to switch to live (as I did not pay for Reason this was no big deal...).

just rewire Kong into live....pretty solid in my view
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri May 28, 2010 5:39 pm

With the sampling feature will it be much easier to get sounds from Live into Reason/Record?

parma

Post by parma » Fri May 28, 2010 6:12 pm

No built-in recycle-like slicing = major fail.

Props always talk about workflow but there is no worse workflow for working with sliced material than having to open a file in recycle, slice it, export it, open reason, browse for Rex file and open it in dr. Octorex.

I can't believe they finally include audio in to reason (via the live sampling) along with a basic sample editor but fail to include slicing functionality.

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri May 28, 2010 6:43 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:
Der_Makrophag wrote:Arent the Blocks more like Scenes?

I want Kong-4-Live!
hrhr

just rewire Kong into live....pretty solid in my view

Yes I could, If I would buy Reason 5... And having it directly inside of Live would surely be more nice.
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri May 28, 2010 7:04 pm

parma wrote:No built-in recycle-like slicing = major fail.

Props always talk about workflow but there is no worse workflow for working with sliced material than having to open a file in recycle, slice it, export it, open reason, browse for Rex file and open it in dr. Octorex.

I can't believe they finally include audio in to reason (via the live sampling) along with a basic sample editor but fail to include slicing functionality.

I agree that they did screw up not implementing recycle within reason, that and 64 bit DAW and 64 bit rewire. I am not sure if reason/recycle can really go 3/4 years with it just being a 32 bit DAW. I realize that it is very easy on the CPU, but with record and just added some parallel compression on the SSL emulation and the CPU shoots a lot more than reason use to. that the price we pay for sound quality being boosted

I am still pretty pleased overall with the small additions, Kong, and now that I've talked to people who've been using blocks I'm coming around to that idea. The combinator upgrade is crucial for reason users.

octo rex is just a time saver but not really an upgrade. I'm just glad that I can trigger specific points within rex loops.

They really need a serious recycle upgrade, and now redrum will just be used for sequencing stuff out of Kong and other devices.

Enough rambling....I'm just excited for the idea of Live 8, reason 5, and the bridge

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri May 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Absolutely, this is its biggest detraction from me upgrading to Record right now.

Also, I would have liked them to add a Reaktor-like instrument, more so than Neptune or Kong but you can't have everything. It's actually not a bad update as far as Props updates go. (I personally thought 4 was crap).

Anyway, i'll see what it's like when I get a beta position.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri May 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Well now that I can actually see KONG, I think they've done a pretty sweet job with it. ReDrum was so, so out of date and limited, getting a big drum machine into Reason5 was definitely a must-do thing at this point. Though as I said before, having Maschine kind of makes this all moot, but it's nice to see Reason get rounded out.

And for those saying "live or reason" above, that's just silly. The live + reason rewire combo is incredibly easy to setup, and really results in the best of both worlds. Most other rewire duo's I've tried have just been too much of a pain in the ass (e.g. no 3rd party apps in Live when slave to Logic or Cubase, etc) but racking up instruments in Reason for Live is just dead easy.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri May 28, 2010 7:41 pm

What I like about all these features is all the speculation as to how they will integrate into the workflow.

The truth is, many of us may be using these tools for applications we hadn't even dreamed of (ie blocks). I mean, if they're going to dedicate an entire preview day for something as seemingly boring as "blocks" then I'm sure they have some sort of bigger, more important use in the future. Like many others, the first thing I thought of was "scenes".

That said, I'd imagine that they're also trying to get into the live performance tool market as well, if anything for creative functionality. If you could launch blocks in Kong, redrum patterns, rex loops, and so on, that kind of changes the way that people will go about their sequencing in Reason, at least it will change it for me.

Kong, by the way, looks great. Long live Redrum.

And I don't know if I'll ever use Neptune as an Auto-Tuneish device, but relish the idea of having a decent sounding MIDI-based harmonizer for whatever (but could never rationalize dishing out for Melodyne). Now it's just included with the price and therefore I'll probably end up using it as a result.

Dr. Octorex I'm a little less excited about, as I don't tend to use multiple variations of a loop in a song . I usually import it into Live and chop it up for variation. Again, I'm just speculating. I'm sure I'll find some indispensable functions as soon as I start messing around with it.

Oh, and they now have self-contained songs (like ableton's projects) so that looks tidy. And BOUNCE CLIP TO SAMPLE!!! This is going to save me hours and hours and hours or editing, rewiring to live, etc. This is a huge workflow improvement for me.

And live sampling. I dunno. I think Live's been pretty good for me for this. But who knows, with all these new features I may rethink the way I approach using Reason.

For so many years Reason users had to work around the external audio but now, after many DAWs battled it out for years and years, they're able to pick from what they consider the best ideas for bringing in audio and now they're just starting to implement it.

Good times for Reason users.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri May 28, 2010 7:57 pm

I think you might be ahead of yourself here. The final releases don't come out until end of summer. I wouldn't be surprised if recycle 3 is announced this summer and goes on sale when reason 5 and record 1.5 is released.

I'm hoping for an integrated workflow like how reason essentially is encompassed by record (you don't even start reason if you have record - the devices just show up).

I think the peopellerheads know exactly what they are doing here. Recycle is a product that has a place as standalone product, but you just have to believe with Kong, dr Octo Rex, etc they are fully aware of the opportunities that exist with slicing within record/reason.