What's up with the Props???????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tlennon

Re: What's up with the Props???????????

Post by tlennon » Fri May 28, 2010 8:00 pm

^Yes! Prop users are stoked with anticipation of how they will incorporate the new tools including finding different and unique ways of using it with unanticipated results. Live users seem to still be more interested in comparing the paradigm with features of live and rejecting anything that isn't Live while some users like Jarvi are opening up to the possibilties. The workflow has always been different and that won't change EVER! The 2 systems accomplish the same things by different means. In all the writing from Prop, there was no inclination to get people to switch over from there current DAW. They simply incourage using Prop as another tool ensuring cohesive intergration thru Rewire while still offering a means of using it standalone via Record and Reason.
Terrence Lennon

parma

Post by parma » Fri May 28, 2010 8:55 pm

robtronik wrote:
parma wrote:No built-in recycle-like slicing = major fail.

Props always talk about workflow but there is no worse workflow for working with sliced material than having to open a file in recycle, slice it, export it, open reason, browse for Rex file and open it in dr. Octorex.

I can't believe they finally include audio in to reason (via the live sampling) along with a basic sample editor but fail to include slicing functionality.
I think you might be ahead of yourself here. The final releases don't come out until end of summer. I wouldn't be surprised if recycle 3 is announced this summer and goes on sale when reason 5 and record 1.5 is released.

I'm hoping for an integrated workflow like how reason essentially is encompassed by record (you don't even start reason if you have record - the devices just show up).

I think the peopellerheads know exactly what they are doing here. Recycle is a product that has a place as standalone product, but you just have to believe with Kong, dr Octo Rex, etc they are fully aware of the opportunities that exist with slicing within record/reason.
OK, so, I'm the one talking about the *current* situation and you're the one making all kinds of speculations about future development and it's me that's getting ahead of myself? :?

If/when they finally get around to integrating Recycle, I'll consider upgrading then. But only if it is done within Reason and Record isn't necessary - I can't believe they tout Record as being so streamlined and user friendly - the GUI and workflow are an absolute nightmare with all the different windows and racks and all sorts of crap strewn everywhere across the screen. I demoed it for 10 minutes and closed it before I got a migraine. I'm sure if I spent the time, I could wrangle it in, but man, it did not leave me with a "musician friendly" impression at all. Just because it emulates a pro console and gear racks doesn't automatically make it musician friendly.

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Fri May 28, 2010 9:44 pm

parma wrote:I can't believe they tout Record as being so streamlined and user friendly - the GUI and workflow are an absolute nightmare with all the different windows and racks and all sorts of crap strewn everywhere across the screen. I demoed it for 10 minutes and closed it before I got a migraine. I'm sure if I spent the time, I could wrangle it in, but man, it did not leave me with a "musician friendly" impression at all. Just because it emulates a pro console and gear racks doesn't automatically make it musician friendly.
+1

I totally agree. Regardless of all these new instruments, fx and enhancements, interface in general is not friendly. Before Live I was a Reason user but once I saw how live manage mixer, tracks and their contents I switched.

Reason was good for making songs, that contain up to 10 tracks, but when you start to add more and more tracks, whole rack is so huge and navigating through it is pain even if particular instrument gets focus when you select a track. And those cables thing is even worse.

At first when I saw reason I thought it was nice that it emulates real studio so nice. But now I think opposite. Creating a program that tries to model some real object is not always a good idea. I always hate cables in my workspace and there are virtual cables to piss me off even more :D.

However I still have a respect for Reason as it was always ultra rock solid for me, and never crash and it's efficient. I still use it sometimes with Live via ReWire.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri May 28, 2010 9:55 pm

tlennon wrote:^ Live users seem to still be more interested in comparing the paradigm with features of live and rejecting anything that isn't Live while some users like Jarvi are opening up to the possibilties.
Why thank you very much. As I keep mentioning, I will be posting some more tunes soon, so keep your eyes peeled and your ears open.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri May 28, 2010 10:05 pm

They should add virtual zip ties

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Fri May 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Props always talk about workflow but there is no worse workflow for working with sliced material than having to open a file in recycle, slice it, export it, open reason, browse for Rex file and open it in dr. Octorex.

I can't believe they finally include audio in to reason (via the live sampling) along with a basic sample editor but fail to include slicing functionality.

Yeah, but now you don't need Recycle anymore, in Kong, you just make multiple copies of a sample by COPYING it and pasting it on the other pads, edit each sample in there own Sample Editor and set their markers to have a SLICE that you want. It's not like how would you do in Recycle or using the transients in Live, but I still find it easy and fun to have that in Reason. And it works the same in NN-XT also. And in Kong, you can also set a rex file that has multiple slice points to just one single slice by moving its marker. So you can combine different slice points of different Rex files, and can also combine it with WAV files.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Fri May 28, 2010 10:11 pm

rbmonosylabik wrote:They should add virtual zip ties
Nice! :lol: Or better yet....an option to just show the cables for the selected components.
Terrence Lennon

parma

Post by parma » Fri May 28, 2010 11:06 pm

chelemasty wrote:

Yeah, but now you don't need Recycle anymore, in Kong, you just make multiple copies of a sample by COPYING it and pasting it on the other pads, edit each sample in there own Sample Editor and set their markers to have a SLICE that you want. It's not like how would you do in Recycle or using the transients in Live, but I still find it easy and fun to have that in Reason. And it works the same in NN-XT also. And in Kong, you can also set a rex file that has multiple slice points to just one single slice by moving its marker. So you can combine different slice points of different Rex files, and can also combine it with WAV files.
Well, sure, you could do it that way - but what a royal pain in the ass if you plan on manually slicing a bunch of stuff. You could do it before this update using the start and end adjustments in NNXT; of course it's easier now with the sample editor but still not something I'd want to do often. Thing of it is, I wouldn't care if Reason didn't have slicing if it wasn't for the fact that the Propellerheads themselves "revolutionized" transient slicing with Recycle in the first place!

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Sat May 29, 2010 12:31 am

parma wrote:I wouldn't care if Reason didn't have slicing if it wasn't for the fact that the Prop' themselves "revolutionized" transient slicing with Recycle in the first place!
Awwwh! The irony of it all. :|
Terrence Lennon

parma

Post by parma » Sat May 29, 2010 2:24 am

tlennon wrote:
parma wrote:I wouldn't care if Reason didn't have slicing if it wasn't for the fact that the Prop' themselves "revolutionized" transient slicing with Recycle in the first place!
Awwwh! The irony of it all. :|
no need for insults

I'm not a Reason hater or anything (though I do stand by my hatred of Record's interface). I'm just saying that, for me, the failure to include recycle functionality within Reason makes upgrading a no-go. All the other new features I either don't find useful or have other solutions for. The only thing that is even tempting me is the drum synthesis in Kong. I'm glad they didn't just make it a drum sampler. Dr. OctoRex looks nice too but is crippled in my opinion by the need to use recycle in order to get your own stuff into it.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Sat May 29, 2010 4:18 am

Insults? Where did that come from. I was merely confirming that it is ironic. I understand exactly what you're saying. That is not an insult. Maybe I used the wrong smilely. How is this one? :mrgreen:
Terrence Lennon

parma

Post by parma » Sat May 29, 2010 5:18 am

tlennon wrote:Insults? Where did that come from. I was merely confirming that it is ironic. I understand exactly what you're saying. That is not an insult. Maybe I used the wrong smilely. How is this one? :mrgreen:
oops! I thought you were being sarcastic (I thought the "awwwh" bit was your way of saying I was whining).

all's well

:mrgreen:

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Sat May 29, 2010 7:54 am

mholloway wrote:And for those saying "live or reason" above, that's just silly. The live + reason rewire combo is incredibly easy to setup, and really results in the best of both worlds. Most other rewire duo's I've tried have just been too much of a pain in the ass (e.g. no 3rd party apps in Live when slave to Logic or Cubase, etc) but racking up instruments in Reason for Live is just dead easy.
If you would have read carefully, its not about any problems to set Rewire up, but to get the money to buy Reason 5. After all I am glad to bring up the money for the Live-Updates regulary. If I had the money, I would have so many things... So I cannot afford Reason AND Live. Thats the point.

I think that Reason5 + Live8 must be the most powerful Software-Setup ever.
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Sat May 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Once Reason/Record/ReWire go 64bit on a Mac then I will be interested.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon May 31, 2010 5:18 pm

parma wrote:The only thing that is even tempting me is the drum synthesis in Kong. I'm glad they didn't just make it a drum sampler.
I agree, that's the most appealing thing. I used Pluggo for a couple of years and mainly focused on the drum synthesis elements of it. Some of the Pluggo drum instruments got ported over into Max for Live, and so far I've been using that and it's been okay. I still miss the other drum machines in Pluggo, and I'd be willing to investigate Kong as a replacement.