What's up with the Props???????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sakura_k

Re: What's up with the Props???????????

Post by Sakura_k » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 pm

vicz wrote:Got my free upgrade in the post today (Reason 5, you then have to d/l Record 1.5). After usual dongling about (grrr!) gave it a quick whirl. No real surprises yet but Kong definitely seems to be the star of the show - great sound quality from the demo's at least.
Wish I'd known more about how Reason does upgrades before I bought version 4 a couple of weeks ago. Since I bought it from a local store I have to send away to some distributor for my upgrade, and it's going to take 6 weeks to arrive. I would have gotten Reason 5 a month sooner if I'd just waited. That would have been a nice thing for them to mention in their little "don't wait to buy, the upgrade will be painless!" pitch.

Also, Record 1.5, which is available for online upgrade, is not compatible with Reason 4 - another fun fact which Propellerhead didn't bother to tell anyone until today.

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Sakura_k wrote:
vicz wrote:Got my free upgrade in the post today (Reason 5, you then have to d/l Record 1.5). After usual dongling about (grrr!) gave it a quick whirl. No real surprises yet but Kong definitely seems to be the star of the show - great sound quality from the demo's at least.
Wish I'd known more about how Reason does upgrades before I bought version 4 a couple of weeks ago. Since I bought it from a local store I have to send away to some distributor for my upgrade, and it's going to take 6 weeks to arrive. I would have gotten Reason 5 a month sooner if I'd just waited. That would have been a nice thing for them to mention in their little "don't wait to buy, the upgrade will be painless!" pitch.

Also, Record 1.5, which is available for online upgrade, is not compatible with Reason 4 - another fun fact which Propellerhead didn't bother to tell anyone until today.
I filled out the online claim form, including an upload of scanned receipt from the store I bought the original from, on the UK distributor's website after I read dhilsabeck's post on Monday, and the upgrade dvd arrived in the post today, even though they said allow two weeks.

JEpic

Post by JEpic » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:31 am

Sakura_k wrote:

Actually thats been pretty much everywhere.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:49 am

It's an epic release day fail all around for Props. They spend all summer hyping Reason 5 and guess what -- nobody has it, nor knows when they're going to get it. Yikes.

Even the release dates on Amazon are badly confused (and changing....)

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 pm

mholloway wrote:It's an epic release day fail all around for Props.
If anything that's perhaps a Line 6 fail in the US? Here in the UK it's out there and preorders are all delivered exactly on schedule.

Also Record 1.5 upgrade is available to download from the Props website worldwide. As are the demos of both programmes.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:25 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:^
I mean, there's got to be a rationale for not having recycle integrated. What's the most reasonable explanation for it's not being there?
I would hope that if/when it is integrated it would work in the same way as the Record/Reason integration - i.e. if you have both programmes installed then you can access them in one package.

I would expect Propellerhead to still keep ReCycle available as a seperate product because there are still a lot of people who use ReCycle but don't use the Props other stuff. They use ReCycle to make REX loops for use in Cubase/Live/Logic/etc or to sell commercially. I don't think that Props are about to cut those users adrift and force them into getting Reason/Record. That would not be their style.

Listen on Soundcloud

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm

+1000 for Kong also. definitely the star of the show. played with it for a couple of hours last night.. definitely worth the upgrade if you have reason already..

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:14 pm

headquest wrote:
I mean, there's got to be a rationale for not having recycle integrated. What's the most reasonable explanation for it's not being there?
I would hope that if/when it is integrated it would work in the same way as the Record/Reason integration - i.e. if you have both programmes installed then you can access them in one package.

I would expect Propellerhead to still keep ReCycle available as a seperate product because there are still a lot of people who use ReCycle but don't use the Props other stuff. They use ReCycle to make REX loops for use in Cubase/Live/Logic/etc or to sell commercially. I don't think that Props are about to cut those users adrift and force them into getting Reason/Record. That would not be their style.

I don't understand why recycle could not be both a stand alone and integrated within recycle. You can use reason as a standalone or within record. What prevents props from using this same logic for recycle. I'm not a programmer so i don't understand what goes into it, but I would think that if they were able to take a long standing program like reason and integrate it (very well) within record they could do the same for recycle.

It seems to be one of the most requested things in the reason forum, along with midi out, 64 bit program/rewire, and record ssl emulation features.

Hope props heads in this direction, but we'll have to wait and see
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:
headquest wrote:

I don't understand why recycle could not be both a stand alone and integrated within recycle. You can use reason as a standalone or within record. What prevents props from using this same logic for recycle.
Yes, this is exactly what I am saying... allow it standalone for those who use other hosts/etc, but also allow it integrated for those who wish to use it that way. Or at the very least... bundle it free with Record ;)

In terms of workflow it's not a big deal though - I routinely have Recycle open chopping loops while I also have Record open. With a couple of mouse clicks I can export the file from Record, open it up in recycle (with Record projhect still open fullscreen), slice and save the Rex file... and it's right there in the Record browser to use straight away. No need to close Record first or anything... it's pretty straightforward. The only real issue IMHO is the rather high cost of ReCycle for what it is.

Listen on Soundcloud

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:41 pm

headquest wrote:The only real issue IMHO is the rather high cost of ReCycle for what it is.
Good point. I just paid $129 for Thor, RPG8, Neptune, Record, Kong, etc versus $180 for just Recycle. Maybe that's why it seems like it's not really worth it for me. $180 seems to gets you a lot in software these days...

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:57 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:I don't understand why recycle could not be both a stand alone and integrated within recycle...

I, too, don't understand why Recycle couldn't be integrated within Recycle.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Go under pref->general->and the three boxes that have to do with cable automation, etc and it will remove the cables. The l is now devoted to the loop braces.

Look like you've become an "unreasonable live user"

Sorry could not resist.

I have noticed that when you attempt to duplicate kong matrix it takes WAY to long. I have not had issues loading thor, but kong does take longer than everything else.

I have not bought the upgrade I'm still playing with the demo and trying to decide if I really want it. (I really wish I could just get record 1.5.

I think I might wait for record 2.0, we shall see
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:22 pm

ShelLuser wrote:My next step to Prop domination has yet to be made though; and that's starting a complain tirade on the prop forum :mrgreen:

N
It's been like a damn war zone over at the props site. It;s like it was over here when live 8 was having issues.

I've found another forum that's a lot more constructive for reason stuff. Strictly talking about patches and none of the other garbage.

Found a few other live forums but nothing that does not have some hatin going on. I'll find one.

I'll be on the look out for your props domination thread :P

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:34 am

I received my free upgrade disc yesterday... but only Reason 5 and not Record 1.5... How 'bout you free RSN5/R1.5 upgraders? Did you also get a Record 1.5 disc or not?

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:01 am

#1thelark wrote:I received my free upgrade disc yesterday... but only Reason 5 and not Record 1.5... How 'bout you free RSN5/R1.5 upgraders? Did you also get a Record 1.5 disc or not?
Record 1.5 is not on a disc - it's a free download from the Props site here:
http://www.propellerheads.se/download/record/

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, including uninstalling the previous versions.

Regarding the license, you must install Reason 5 first. Once that is done, the Record 1.5 free update is automatically added to your licenses on the Propellerhead website, so you can install that too.

Good luck!

Listen on Soundcloud