What's up with the Props???????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: What's up with the Props???????????

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 am

i am not exited wether they do something new or not, i like reason as a sound source for certain things in rewire mode as it is and it is the best software to teach people signal flows, etc. they can then also adapt to hardware routing / setups. and it's stable, i use it since v2 and never had a single problem, with no version whatsoever. it's one of those tools that really just work and i am not bothered about any kind of update or evolution.

i always used it in the old company i was working for last year to teach our 4 trainees, it's really great for that.
*** Image GAFM ***

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 am

SubFunk wrote:i am not exited wether they do something new or not, i like reason as a sound source for certain things in rewire mode as it is and it is the best software to teach people signal flows, etc. they can then also adapt to hardware routing / setups. and it's stable, i use it since v2 and never had a single problem, with no version whatsoever. it's one of those tools that really just work and i am not bothered about any kind of update or evolution.

i always used it in the old company i was working for last year to teach our 4 trainees, it's really great for that.
yeah reason is a great learning tool. i knew nothing about synthesis until i started messing with it.
but that was as far as i got with reason. with the synths aliasing so much its really hard for me to use it as anything other than something to mess around with.
i do like sitting with it and programing things into the matrix sequencer. i never use anything i make its just something i do to relax and have fun. thats the best way to look at reason really. its just something to have a bit of fun with.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 am

Reason 5 w/Ignition Key. Say good bye to me.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 24, 2010 10:27 am

nathannn wrote:
SubFunk wrote:i am not exited wether they do something new or not, i like reason as a sound source for certain things in rewire mode as it is and it is the best software to teach people signal flows, etc. they can then also adapt to hardware routing / setups. and it's stable, i use it since v2 and never had a single problem, with no version whatsoever. it's one of those tools that really just work and i am not bothered about any kind of update or evolution.

yeah reason is a great learning tool. i knew nothing about synthesis until i started messing with it.
but that was as far as i got with reason. with the synths aliasing so much its really hard for me to use it as anything other than something to mess around with.
i do like sitting with it and programing things into the matrix sequencer. i never use anything i make its just something i do to relax and have fun. thats the best way to look at reason really. its just something to have a bit of fun with.
yeah, is usually use it (pretty rarely our days, though) as well just like messing a bit and then either rewiring or exporting bits and pieces to another host...

that said people like burnski and claude von stroke (to name but a few) using it extensively (well, still in combo with another host, but majorly reason is their tool) and made some real well known tracks with it on some major labels such as 20:20 vision or dessous... etc. !!!!!!!!!!

it's always the skills, ideas and person behind the tool, never really the tool just on it's own...

(and yes i know, i am also bitching about bad tools, big time... i am a very spoiled bastard! :D )

i also know many polish productions that are top, top notch done with reason only on super old / slow PCs.

it's often food for myself as well, to rethink my attitudes and to focus my energies... but that is why i stripped down and stripped down my setup / tools over the years... keeps the creative / imaginative juices going...

hence i love the certain limitations i have with maschine for instance, for that.

and reason is old but still a very reliable, simple and solid tool.
*** Image GAFM ***

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 am

SubFunk wrote:
hence i love the certain limitations i have with maschine for instance, for that.
There it is... :P

I love how you always manage to slip it in there! :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 24, 2010 11:10 am

well, it became the center of everything i do make musical wise, the absolute center.

how can it be then not permanently in my head, when i think of music / audio.

if you take maschine from me, you can basically kill me with it. my music / audio life would not make any sense anymore.

and that is not even a joke... :|

i never wanted to try heroin, this is so much worse.

i rather should have...

no now i am joking. :lol:
Last edited by SubFunk on Mon May 24, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon May 24, 2010 11:12 am

I was just thinking 'but Reason 4 was only released a little while ago' and then I found a copy of Computer Music in my bathroom closet (best place for Computer Music come to think of it ;) ) from October 2007 with an 'exclusive' review of Reason 4, so in actual fact, it's been more than 2 and a half years since it was released.

Why the worry with the Ignition Key - for mobile use you don't need the dongle, you can authorize it with a password via internet, or run it in demo mode which is almost fully functional. It's not a bad copyright scheme.

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/r ... nition_key
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon May 24, 2010 11:33 am

Not a bad copyright scheme.

Then again, the Props would have to come up with something quite monumental - with or without the dongle - if I were to
upgrade this time. Reason doesn't really do anything I cannot do in Live without having to Rewire.

Rowlsten

Post by Rowlsten » Mon May 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Reason 5!!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 pm

and Record 1.5.

Well just saw the Dr. Octo Rex video. Pretty cool :D

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 pm

^^I saw it too. It seems pretty cool.

HERE
Terrence Lennon

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon May 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Da hand wrote:and Record 1.5.

Well just saw the Dr. Octo Rex video. Pretty cool :D
I don't want to be too overzealous with slagging off the efforts of propellerheads, but given this is the Ableton forum I guess it's fair enough to make a comparison between the two

I just watched that video and at first I thought it looked cool, mainly because I used to use Reason a lot (nearly a decade ago mind) and compared to the old Dr. Rex it looked like an improvement, but then I thought it just seemed like an investment in dead technology - I mean if you compare it to clip envelopes in Ableton it's not even in the same league. You can do everything Dr. Octo Rex does way easier with clip envelopes with infinitely more options

compared to the original Dr. Rex it seems cool that you can change all those parameters and draw in the automation superimposed over the waveform etc, but when you think that it's just those few functions that are hard wired in, you can do the same thing in Ableton and literally control any parameter at all on the track

I guess it comes down to how you prefer to work, but it seems kind of strange that this is where they are at in 2010 after 10 years..... but I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg and a lot more will come out in the coming days

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 24, 2010 4:07 pm

it looks OK to me, i don't think that it always has to be something revolutionary, just workflows or quality / simplicity, CPU and stability enhancements can mean under circumstances much more then 'the next big thing'
*** Image GAFM ***

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:29 pm

i'm in!!!

glad i waited to buy Record for Reason Owners because now i'll get Reason 5 and Record 1.5 upgrades when they are available for free.

Reason has always been a rock-solid app. i've always loved Redrum and i bet it's another one of the upgraded tools for this release! and Dr Octo Rex looks pretty sick for laying out a percussion sequence. a lot easier to have multiple variations of the loops. probably be pretty sick for a dubstep bassline too. i haven't used Reason in a while because it became a little stale for me but i'll definitely be re-visiting it upon release of 5.

and as far as Record 1.5 goes.. maybe they'll have other console emulations??? that'd be way cool if they gave a couple new ones every release!

JEpic

Post by JEpic » Mon May 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Octo Rex looks cool, but I really wish they would just build Recycle into the Dr. Rex, at least limited functionality like being able to edit slice points. I mean the last version of Recycle was 2.1.

Oh well, heres hoping they'll put Recycle functionality into Record...