Maschine sequencing VSTS in Live (video)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supamonsta

Re: Maschine sequencing VSTS in Live (video)

Post by supamonsta » Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 am

Nope, on Macs the IAC driver built into the OS handles inter application MIDI.
There's also built in computer to computer network MIDI, over ethernet.

So in Maschine and Live's MIDI section you can select the IAC driver just like your hardware MIDI controllers and boxes.
I knew that, but does it mean Maschine uses IAC driver to make this "maschine virtual midi" available???

because I HAVE a "maschine virtual input" and "maschine virtual output" in standalone maschine's audio midi settings... ???

anyway, it works.

but now I've got another problem, maschine not recognising jack osX .... :evil:

I'm .... just.... becoming.... MAD!!!!!

cheers

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Fri May 28, 2010 1:58 pm

SubFunk wrote:
supamonsta wrote:I'm just wondering why do you use LoopBe instead of Maschine Virtual midi output?
he is on a PC? no?

the virtual midi out only exists under OSX.
yeah...lol, I was mad when I saw that lol. My boys where like "I just use the virtual midi out" so I go looking for it, no love :cry:

lol
Push Tutorials - video manual and tutorials for Push - PushTutorials.com

Ableton Live Tips - tips, tutorials, & reviews for Ableton Live.

SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, reviews, videos, and gear.

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Fri May 28, 2010 2:00 pm

supamonsta wrote:SaintJoe,

just looking your video, I find this setup really interesting, I'll give it a try, this may solve my setup problems I'm working on since ages... :D

I'm just wondering why do you use LoopBe instead of Maschine Virtual midi output?

cheers
I love it man lol, for me this is exactly what I need. I don't have to worry about routing audio into Live either because I just drag and drop the audio I want into Live's clips.

Like Subfunk said, those of us like myself in the PC world, don't have the luxury of a built in virtual midi output lol

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri May 28, 2010 2:27 pm

actually, when you work with live, there is another super quick way, i like.

just make all your loops and sounds and the whole skeleton in maschine, select a group, of let's say the drums you made... and go to export audio, select sounds and you get every single sound ready to loop in live for further processing and arranging... go to the next group, etc.

then just drag cmd+click (on a mac) the sounds / loops and drop them all in their individual audio tracks, done.

it's an option, too. i found great.

this is how i work lately, not mucking about with plugins or routing, just jamming away in maschine until it's tender and then moving it all over in no time for further spices.

if i need a new pattern or variation i just go back to maschine, make it and export that one single... done.
*** Image GAFM ***

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Fri May 28, 2010 2:34 pm

SubFunk wrote:actually, when you work with live, there is another super quick way, i like.

just make all your loops and sounds and the whole skeleton in maschine, select a group, of let's say the drums you made... and go to export audio, select sounds and you get every single sound ready to loop in live for further processing and arranging... go to the next group, etc.

then just drag cmd+click (on a mac) the sounds / loops and drop them all in their individual audio tracks, done.

it's an option, too. i found great.

this is how i work lately, not mucking about with plugins or routing, just jamming away in maschine until it's tender and then moving it all over in no time for further spices.

if i need a new pattern or variation i just go back to maschine, make it and export that one single... done.

yeah that's a dope way to work as well, I really like the combination of Live and Maschine, plenty of ways to get it going. Only reason I do it this way is because I really like the sequencer in Maschine more than Live. Live isn't bad, it's the only DAW I could actually get with and move away from hardware, but I like Maschine's sequencing setup. But the way you mentioned is nice as well, and let's you focus on the groove only, then finish up in Live.

Good stuff :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri May 28, 2010 2:53 pm

definitely,

i totally like live as well (well when it doesn't crash upon me, then i hate it a lot, a hell lot :twisted: )

but maschine just let's me really having more fun and does not 'distract' me so much, i also like the way the plugs are, no GUI whatsoever, not even proper numbers, yeah well when you directly hoover over it you get values, but the way they are set up forces you to totally use and rely on your ears, wonderful.
*** Image GAFM ***

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Fri May 28, 2010 3:14 pm

I agree, I love Maschine too, that's why I use it as the main master lol. If I could use VST's in Maschine, trust me I would be doing that lol.

Then I'd just export the audio and arrange my songs in Live when I'm done lol.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 29, 2010 12:07 am

supamonsta wrote: because I HAVE a "maschine virtual input" and "maschine virtual output" in standalone maschine's audio midi settings... ???
What does it say in Live? Dunno, probably NI are renaming AIC drivers. Just a guess, but the functionality is built in to OSX, so it's not hard for them to implement it. In Windows there are third party solutions, so...

FWIW Soundflower is easier to deal with than Jack OS, though not as cross platform.

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Sat May 29, 2010 2:10 am

I wish they made soundflower for pc... :(

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 am

saintjoe wrote:I know quite a few folks around here use Maschine and Live together and many may not like how Maschine works as a plugin. I know for myself, I hate that you can't control the start/stop of Maschine when it's a plugin, this small feature is a huge part of how I work on building up drums/grooves and patterns. Starting and stopping, etc.
yeah this is a crazy dumb thing, having the whole physical maschine transport section over-ridden when it's in plugin mode, it shocked me when I first realized it. Sure I can reach over and use the APC40 controls, but it just isn't the same. as a result I do all my drum building in standalone mode and then drag the patterns as audio into a folder and load them as clips into live. easy enough, but obviously it really changes the workflow because I'm not building the loops while actively working on a track inside live. dumb, really. Maschine needs some kind of "sync to host / don't sync to host" switch while in plugin mode, so you could set it to the latter, have the maschine transport work, and then build beats up in there without it constantly starting the live sequencer every time you hit play, then switch back to sync to host....you get the idea.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Sat May 29, 2010 4:23 am

yep, i totally agree lol...hopefully they give us something!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat May 29, 2010 11:09 am

the "maschine virtual" input and outputs are labeled "maschine virtual" in and out in live...

anyway,

for the jack / soundflower stuff, I found that maschine needs to run in 32bits mode so as to be able to recognise jack on leopard.

it works 100% with soundflower. I aggregated soundflower16ch and my ultralite, and now everything's fine with this 28ins/30outs monster audio device...

using maschine standalone, even if it needs complex tricks to route audio into live, is for me the better way.

maschine can now really be the center of the setup... (with the start/stop cool stuff...)

cheers

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat May 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi, Saintjoe,

I just tried syncing live to maschine, maschine being the master clock,

and I notice live's tempo oscillates around maschine's bpm value??

i.e., maschine BPM = 130
live synced' (EXT), displays values oscillating between 128,4 and 130,5... 8O

is it the same for you??

(I don't think it is a really big problem though...)

cheers

filterstein

Post by filterstein » Sat May 29, 2010 4:17 pm

That's the way it works with midi clock.
I've never seen midi clock synced devices stay exactly on the same tempo.
Sync a tr707 and a tr909 and they deviate at least one bpm.

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Sat May 29, 2010 5:53 pm

supamonsta wrote:Hi, Saintjoe,

I just tried syncing live to maschine, maschine being the master clock,

and I notice live's tempo oscillates around maschine's bpm value??

i.e., maschine BPM = 130
live synced' (EXT), displays values oscillating between 128,4 and 130,5... 8O

is it the same for you??

(I don't think it is a really big problem though...)

cheers
yep it moves around, but it doesn't seem to mess with the actual "groove" stuff still feels tight