Propellerhead Day 2: BLOCKS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
headquest

Propellerhead Reason/Record: BLOCKS... Wow!

Post by headquest » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:06 pm

tlennon wrote:Quite interesting. Most of us will have to wait until the release to test that opinion.
Having tested it... I agree with CM on this one. For me anyway, it's the future. Absobloominglutely brilliant!!
Last edited by headquest on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Angstrom

Re: Propellerhead Day 2: BLOCKS

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 pm

headquest wrote:Whoa! Check out what Computer Music have to say about this feature - read carefully!:
Computer Music magazine wrote:Comparissons are bound to be drawn with Ableton Live's "Session View" and Cubase's "Play Order Track" but that wouldn't be particularly fair. This is the fastest and most creative new approach to sequencing that we've seen in a long time. It's so intuitive and well thought out that there's no DAW we'd now rather sequence a track in more than Reason 5 or Record 1.5.
Damn!!!

Its also what I've been calling for in Live since about 2005

:roll:
mind-you Computer Music,
it's hardly my reference bible on all things DAW, it's pretty much a comic about shiny things. I very much doubt I'll be moving over to Record / Reason as my go-to song writing setup.

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Angstrom wrote: Its also what I've been calling for in Live since about 2005

:roll:
Indeed...
I very much doubt I'll be moving over to Record / Reason as my go-to song writing setup.
I'm actually contemplating this. I've used Reason happily since way back version 2.0. As far as other stuff goes, Audition is essential to me for audio editing, as is Sibelius for notation. But my two main hosts - Live 7 Suite and Cubase 5.5 - have me swaying between excitement and huge frustration over the years. Neither is basically stable for me in their current iterations... and it frustrates the hell out of me that I can open a Live/Cubase project from last year and find that they no longer work, because I changed/updated the contents/versions of my VST folder or moved/reoganised some samples/audio files. Record/Reason never suffers in this way, and I can still use projects from several years ago - they open without any hitch.

But until now, Reason has been a great "side-show" as far as I've been concerned, and I only bought Record 1.0 as a Reason add-on. Having tested Record 1.5/Reason 5 over recent weeks I have felt - for the first time TBH - that they genuinely do all that I really need. I've never felt frustrated by Reason in the way that I have with VST hosts... but nor did I previously see that it was something I could genuinely use on its own. This has changed... this next generation is truly a great toolset for the professional composer/musician/home studio. I'm very excited: at last perhaps I can leave behind my former frustrations and settle with something that is rock-solid stable, no fuss, fun to use... It's looking good for sure :D

Listen on Soundcloud

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:26 am

HAve to agree with ya. I've been playing with R5/R1.5 as well and it is very close to be my performance go to. There are some things that ableton still does better but since record is in it's infancy I expect much better things to come by version 2, 3, etc.

If they would intergrate recycle in some way were we could drop audio (drag and drop is needed) and tweak samples on the fly without skipping a beat and then tweak it in dr octo they'd be on their way to.

Still plan on using ableton but will always use R+R it in ableton via external insturment routing. I'm mean with the bridge we should be able to scratch stuff coming out of reason within ableton/serato. Can't beat that.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:HAve to agree with ya. I've been playing with R5/R1.5 as well and it is very close to be my performance go to.
For live playing it seems ideal, especially because it is so stable and efficient. It's an easy matter to have all the patches you need in a set loaded into one project, ready to select and use as and when. Not really aimed at DJs of course... Live is still the way to go there (obviously using a stable version).

Another point that the Computer Music six-page preview says is this:
Computer Music wrote:We think the stand-out new shared feature is the ability to lock a MIDI controller to a specific Reason/Record device. This enables you to set up your usual master controller keybaord for playing the currently selected instrument, and also link another keyboard, drum pad or other controller to a particular instance of KONG, for example. The new implementation challenges even the simility of Ableton Live's hardware setup process, and we've been dusting off a stack of old controllers in anticipation of it.
Considering how much support CM has always given Ableton Live this is quite interesting... especially given they make specific comparissons twice in one feature, both times praising Reason/Record.

Listen on Soundcloud

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:43 pm

you got a link?? could not find the article.

Thanks
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:53 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:you got a link?? could not find the article.
Thanks
It's in the (paper) magazine, not the web.

Listen on Soundcloud

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:21 pm

I've never known CM to write hyperbole in their reviews albeit they are probably getting ad dollars from the vendors. I beleive them to be unbiased most times and remain impressed of their indorsement.
Terrence Lennon