"Arpeggiator" functionality?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
agent314

"Arpeggiator" functionality?

Post by agent314 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:44 pm

So on my cheapie Yamaha keyboard (with onboard sounds/'song' recording, etc.) there was an 'arpeggiator' function, that was less a standard up/down/as played/random arpeggiator than a pattern sequencer.

It had a bunch of different presets that would play different patterns based on the notes you were holding down at a given moment, with different syncopated/stuttery/trance-y/etc. beats that would traverse different octaves/intervals based on the pattern.

Does anybody know of a MIDI plugin that works roughly the same way, that would let you program your own sequences? The arp in Alchemy has a lot of the same features, but that's limited to Alchemy's sounds, and I have other VSTs I'd like to use it with.

I imagine something like this would be possible with Max for Live, but I don't have MFL currently and would like something I would be able to use straight away.

Basically, as I'm thinking about it it's almost like a dynamic step sequencer, that updates the sequence/pattern to use whatever notes you were holding down as the input.

Does that make sense? Anybody have any ideas how to do that?

Dennis DeSantis

Re: "Arpeggiator" functionality?

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 pm

There is an Arpeggiator in the MIDI Effects folder in Live's Device Browser. This has a number of different parameters and, while not strictly a step sequencer, may do some of what you need.

Best,

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu May 27, 2010 8:19 pm

agent314 wrote:So on my cheapie Yamaha keyboard (with onboard sounds/'song' recording, etc.) there was an 'arpeggiator' function, that was less a standard up/down/as played/random arpeggiator than a pattern sequencer.

It had a bunch of different presets that would play different patterns based on the notes you were holding down at a given moment, with different syncopated/stuttery/trance-y/etc. beats that would traverse different octaves/intervals based on the pattern.

Does anybody know of a MIDI plugin that works roughly the same way, that would let you program your own sequences? The arp in Alchemy has a lot of the same features, but that's limited to Alchemy's sounds, and I have other VSTs I'd like to use it with.

I imagine something like this would be possible with Max for Live, but I don't have MFL currently and would like something I would be able to use straight away.

Basically, as I'm thinking about it it's almost like a dynamic step sequencer, that updates the sequence/pattern to use whatever notes you were holding down as the input.

Does that make sense? Anybody have any ideas how to do that?
This is a type of device that is unfortunately pretty rare, even though it can be found in the many of the best synths out there (Zebra,Omnisphere, Sylneth1,FM8,Albino,Blue etc.).

Consequence from Sugar Bytes is meant to do this kind of thing, although without a tie function. Also the Catanya thing, but that's Windows only and no swing.

The best sequenced arp I have found that can drive other devices is actually in Kontakt. Kontakt can send it's midi out from it's arp, which is a full featured step sequenced arpeggiator.
Professional Shark Jumper.

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Thu May 27, 2010 8:20 pm

agent314 wrote:It had a bunch of different presets that would play different patterns based on the notes you were holding down at a given moment, with different syncopated/stuttery/trance-y/etc. beats that would traverse different octaves/intervals based on the pattern.
Although I'm new to it, NI's FM8 synth has something like this; hold down one note and it rips through whatever pattern is set. I'd imagine many other synths have this function.

In fact, when I did this for the first time just a few days ago, the patterns were so awesome that I thought it was almost cheating. :(

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Hmm - Consequence and Catanya both seem to be right along the lines of what I'm looking for. I will investigate them further.

Eeeexcellent - thanks all. :D

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:10 am

Alright, so I downloaded and installed a demo for Catanya, but no matter how I route it, I can't seem to get it to feed data to any synths - or possibly even to work at all. Not sure what the problem is.

Live 8.1, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Catanya 1.0.1

Any suggestions? Is this a known issue? The website lists it as a 32-bit plugin only, but people seem to have had luck with it in other 32 bit DAWs in 64-bit OS's, and I see a video of it working in Live on their site and on Youtube but I can't seem to make the friggin' thing do anything.

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Fri May 28, 2010 2:18 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
The best sequenced arp I have found that can drive other devices is actually in Kontakt. Kontakt can send it's midi out from it's arp, which is a full featured step sequenced arpeggiator.

This is great to know. Thanks.

B-S

Post by B-S » Fri May 28, 2010 1:16 pm

agent314 wrote:Alright, so I downloaded and installed a demo for Catanya, but no matter how I route it, I can't seem to get it to feed data to any synths - or possibly even to work at all. Not sure what the problem is.
works smotthly on my pc. create 2 midi chanels, no.1 catanya, no2 eg Operator.
chanel 1 Midi From change to your midi keyboard or computer keyboard, whatever you are using...
chanel 2 Midi from must be Catanya, All channels chagned to Catanya. Changed Monnitor to "In" on both chanels. (indeed if you have midi clip on chanel 1 leave it "Auto")
open Catanya, load ome sequence and then press a key on your midi keyboard. Should work.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri May 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Try Hypercyclic (free), they have a dual LFO driven arp that works in Live (although not as straightforward as a midi plug in, it shows up as an instrument you can route midi from, set up for live is in the manual). It has groove also.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:09 pm

works smotthly on my pc. create 2 midi chanels, no.1 catanya, no2 eg Operator.
chanel 1 Midi From change to your midi keyboard or computer keyboard, whatever you are using...
chanel 2 Midi from must be Catanya, All channels chagned to Catanya. Changed Monnitor to "In" on both chanels. (indeed if you have midi clip on chanel 1 leave it "Auto")
open Catanya, load ome sequence and then press a key on your midi keyboard. Should work.
Yep - this is exactly what I did. Tried it with a variety of synths and changed the ins and outs in every combination I could think of. Still wouldn't go. :/
Try Hypercyclic (free), they have a dual LFO driven arp that works in Live (although not as straightforward as a midi plug in, it shows up as an instrument you can route midi from, set up for live is in the manual). It has groove also.
I will look into that one, too - thanks for the suggestion.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri May 28, 2010 5:10 pm

ikeaboy wrote:Try Hypercyclic (free), they have a dual LFO driven arp that works in Live (although not as straightforward as a midi plug in, it shows up as an instrument you can route midi from, set up for live is in the manual). It has groove also.
But no step sequence editor, which the OP is looking for, no?
Professional Shark Jumper.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri May 28, 2010 10:05 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:Try Hypercyclic (free), they have a dual LFO driven arp that works in Live (although not as straightforward as a midi plug in, it shows up as an instrument you can route midi from, set up for live is in the manual). It has groove also.
But no step sequence editor, which the OP is looking for, no?
No step sequencer editor on it sadly. Catanya fits the description though