Tune Live to 432,10 Hz (instead of 440) ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Tune Live to 432,10 Hz (instead of 440) ???

Post by eyeknow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:03 am

I just tuned to 440, used 44.1k, 16 bit and it sounds like ass. What am I doing wrong? :x

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:37 am

stringtapper wrote: Ok, listen friend, it's getting old having to explain basic things to you, especially when you're willing to write long and hard about what I'm supposedly getting wrong when you've shown you aren't even aware of some of the basic concepts at work here (e.g. musical cents).
Your showing an unhealthy interest in caring about outrageous claims. Then you make sweeping arguments befitting the very people you criticize like you don't know the first thing about science. Why did the claims even become the focal point for you? It's a musical question in the end.

So not only are you unscientific in your whole approach to things, don't have insight of the bias you put on display, you bring irrelevant arguments to the discussion, just because you didn't have anything real to counter with. That's obvious to anyone reading what you post.

I may not have been familiar what cents means in english in this regard as english is not my first language, but unlike you I don't get up on my high horses when I know something others don't. Instead of pretending I know all in every language I learn every day. What I learn I share.

Sh**, those cents doesn't even enter into the fact that no matter the details 432.10Hz just an alternative tuning reference, no matter what claims you so interestedly learned everything about. Who cares about these silly claims? Get over it already.

All this time we could have been talking and sharing ideas about music in the Music and Audio Production forum, but you just have to talk about those claims, don't you? I don't. If it's not about the music here, I'm out.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:54 am

The bottom line again:
Stromkraft wrote: 432Hz is just another tuning reference. Let's leave it at that. People will still prefer one tuning or the other, both or neither. That they may want to explain this in quasi-scientific terms is best just ignored.
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:27 am

Look I get it. You were out of your depth in this discussion and I got under your skin about and all you've got is personal attacks now. It happens. It's not admirable or advisable on your part, but I get it.

Now this part on the other hand:
Stromkraft wrote:So not only are you unscientific in your whole approach to things, don't have insight of the bias you put on display, you bring irrelevant arguments to the discussion, just because you didn't have anything real to counter with. That's obvious to anyone reading what you post.
It's just total bullshit. I've been very specific about the science behind the arguments I've made in this thread, none of them being irrelevant in the slightest. If you think any of my arguments have been irrelevant then you truly must not have a clue about what's actually being discussed here. In fact looking back at a post you made a page or two back where you asked a question it seems clear that that's exactly the case. You don't know what their claims are and so you don't know why my points refuting them are relevant.

So now the question is why are you even in the discussion at all when your own lack of knowledge on the subject is causing you to bring unwarranted criticisms toward others and merely generating noise?
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:35 am

Stromkraft wrote:The bottom line again:
Stromkraft wrote: 432Hz is just another tuning reference. Let's leave it at that. People will still prefer one tuning or the other, both or neither. That they may want to explain this in quasi-scientific terms is best just ignored.
That's your bottom line because you don't seem to even know what the whole 432Hz debate is even about nor what the claims of the proponents are. As someone who was discussing the particulars of the debate I'll feel free to ignore your "bottom line" and stick to my own motivations for posting: calling out bullshit when I see it.

(How's that for arguing just for the hell of it? :mrgreen: )
Unsound Designer

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:26 am

An example of the 432 stuff stringy is on about:
Most music worldwide has been tuned to 440 hertz since the International Standards Organization (ISO) endorsed it in 1953. The recent rediscoveries of the vibratory / oscillatory nature of the universe indicate that this contemporary international concert pitch standard may generate an unhealthy effect or anti-social behavior in the consciousness of human beings.
A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432 Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature. There is a theory that the change from 432 Hz to 440 Hz was dictated by Nazi propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels. He used it to make people think and feel a certain manner, and to make them a prisoner of a certain consciousness. Then around 1940 the United States introduced 440 Hz worldwide, and finally in 1953 it became the ISO 16-standard.
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/0 ... 432hz.html

It seemed that whatsizname, ambientidm, while saying that he was not a new-ager, was pretty much offering support to this kind of claptrap.

Of course 432 is just another tuning. But in this contex that's a side issue. Ambientidm was making a very different claim.

So I can't see what's wrong with Stringy's response. You could say one should ignore this kind of BS (for the most part I try), but then again, if someone puts out these kind of nonsense claims, why should they go unchallenged?

And none of this detracts from the observation that it would be great if Live could offer other tuning systems (just intonation, quarter scales, 'non-western' tunings etc etc.)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:42 pm

re:dream wrote:And none of this detracts from the observation that it would be great if Live could offer other tuning systems (just intonation, quarter scales, 'non-western' tunings etc etc.)
And I agree 100%. Logic X's new tuning features are pretty incredible. It would be nice to see the Abes support more experimental avenues and allow not only different references for equal temperament, but also different tunings altogether. Logic X even allows you to roll your own tuning if you like. Such a badass system. I would welcome something similar in Live.
Unsound Designer

cyclone975

Post by cyclone975 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 am

Howdy all,

I've been sharing this new MIDI retuning patch I've been working on with threads that have shown interest in the topic. This Max for Live device offers some microtuning support with Live's MIDI Instruments.

Here's the device:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... e-for-live

and here's a youtube tutorial showing it off:
https://youtu.be/UFdoiX-kBA8

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks folks!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:41 pm

^ Very cool.

Pythagorean Tuning and Just Intonation = not bullshit.
Unsound Designer