Tune Live to 432,10 Hz (instead of 440) ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmcpress

Re: Tune Live to 432,10 Hz (instead of 440) ???

Post by cmcpress » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Fizmarble wrote: I read all this stuff about Hitler pushing the A440 thing,
WTF? A 440 was suggested by the American Standards organisation and not actually set as a standard until ISO16 in 1955.

The reason why A is usually set to A 440 is to do with instrument manufacturing. For example when trying to build an organ at 15 degrees C the pitch of the Pipe "A" would change when the hall had heated up. So A=439 at 15 degrees would become A=435.5 in a heated hall.

440 was suggested as 439 being a prime number was hard to reach in a laboratory.

All this guff about A at 432 or 452 having mystical properties or whatever is just complete arse. it's all about the optimum playing range for a build of instrument.

I wonder how people with perfect pitch can be distressed at notes that are not in concert tuning - for example in Beethovens day Concert pitch was different than today...

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Yeah. That's pretty much what I was saying.

Tyko

Post by Tyko » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 pm

so besides spending $150 what are the options to tune live..

NebKara

Post by NebKara » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 am

Hi to all
i am a hippy on DMT (a level higher from the hippy on LSD) :lol:

Chew on this everybody !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9-P_zbjbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUprf8C-7E

Basically all that is required is as follows...
I change the project tuning to 432hz in the settings(I use Logic). This tunes all of the Logic native synths and samplers. Does cubase have native synths? If so there will be a micro-tuning option, if not then no worries. Not too sure about Fruity and Ableton but I'm sure it will be in there somewhere.
All 3rd party synths and samplers have a micro tuning option... well all the ones I use anyways. There will be a tuning option in Hz or in cents. If its Hz (Albino, Kontact, ect), too easy, just bring it on down (or up depending on the tuning). If the micro-tuning is in cents (Massive, Alchemy, Sylenth) then -32cents down = -8Hz (4cents = 1Hert). The only exception I have come across here is Zebra2 - It has 2cent increments so I drop by 16cents for 432Hz tuning.
If you are using and 3rd party tonal samples then use a pitch shifter to shift accordingly. You can also automate the tempo and still have the pitch constant to avoid losing the harmonic integrity in 432hz ... Go through your presets and save them in the new tuning(s) and every time you load up a new sound just get in the habit of changing the tuning. Its an easy shift to make.

There we have it! Music with proper resonance.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 am

NebKara wrote: (a level higher from the hippy on LSD) :lol:
:?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 am

NebKara wrote: There we have it! Music with proper resonance.
how so ? :D
(I'm really asking..)

NebKara

Post by NebKara » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 am

Kalya Scintilla a close friend project entirely composed in 432hz with an Indian touch ;)

http://kalyascintilla.bandcamp.com/albu ... r-ending-2

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:00 am

No offense and suit yourself if it helps you be creative and make your music sound the way you want it to sound, but this is probably the greatest pseudo-scientific bull I've heard or read for a long while.

amere

Post by amere » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 pm

About 3 years reply BUT....

The project I'm in has been recording and jamming in nothing but 432 Hz Frequency. (I wish live would allow these settings to stay once I change them). Anyways.. this site http://www.omega432.com/ turned me on to the 432 idea. Also --- its a felt experience. It doesn't change any tones and you won't notice the sound change at all. But rather... it brings the resonance of the frequency down it a natural state. Earth's frequency... Nature's frequency..

Oddly, The Beatles use to record in 432 Hz. I think Revolver was the last album they did at that Hz rate. Even stranger and off topic.. the universal standard for music WAS 432hz. up until around 1913 when it was suggested by those worldly types that make the worldly decisions to bump it up to 440hz (an un-harmonic frequency in sound/nature) --- and for you conspiracy theorists... this was around the same time the Federal Reserver began. Just saying...

Experiment with your tracks. Again, its a felt experience.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm

i will give it a try.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm

sigh. If this was math and physics, and not bullshit and enthusiasm, why dont the sites which are concerned with the 'importance of 432Hz music' have more description of the actual math and physics involved? It seems a great deal of arm waving ;[

i have no problem with the idea of harmony and resonance with the universe (the universe has a shape, and therefore would have a root note which corresponds to that shape, just as a tuba would). But where i get off the train is when humans have the gall to say that they have figured out precisely what that root frequency would be. It smacks of hubris and fuzzy thinking.

2beats

Post by 2beats » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:53 pm

Made this article and video on retuning to 432: http://www.subaqueousmusic.com/producti ... ing-to-432

Also have a Video and Max For Live device to help.
Isaac Cotec aka Subaqueous

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 am

An easy way to retune Operator is using the Pitch envelope in conjunction with the percentage knob. That is assuming that it is not already in use.

Or automate the pitchbend.

Analog already has tuning as an option.

So all you'd do is play the tone, using another instance of Operator, type the pitch into an oscillator with key mode off. Then as you hear it, play a '440 A' note, gradually detuning until you get some really clear canceling. You can type decimals into some of the tuning devices if you're lucky.

Personally, I'm not concerned with it. Want a beautiful and natural pitch? Play an A and have a child sing it back. Tune to that. Rigid perfection is the very essence of what held music and mathematics back for hundreds of years.

I did find it fun though, experimenting with different temperaments. But that is mostly if you're into playing wild bipolar instances of near-synthetic consonances in relation to rabid doglike dissonances..

As for rotations of things in the universe and arbitrary amounts of time. I'm sure if time had been a different duration, the consistency of the cycles would still be reflected, just as a different number..

...but it doesn't matter, because everything, everywhere, is always fluctuating. The only constant is change. Vibrato that bitch.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:04 am

amere wrote:440hz (an un-harmonic frequency in sound/nature)
Giant heaping load of shite. There's nothing inherent to any frequency that makes it "un-harmonic" (not a word, btw) because a frequency is only a measurement of the periodicity of a wavelength. A sound being "harmonic" involves the relationship between the sound's fundamental frequency and its upper frequency spectra. The closer these spectra are related to the fundamental frequency as integer multiples, the more "harmonic" the sound is considered to be. An "inharmonic" sound contains spectra with non-integer relationships between the fundamental and upper frequencies (i.e. sounds like cymbals and white noise).

Bottom line: there's nothing harmonic or "un-harmonic" about a particular frequency itself because it is only means of measurement, not a specific sound.
Unsound Designer

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:45 am

stringtapper wrote:
amere wrote:440hz (an un-harmonic frequency in sound/nature)
Giant heaping load of shite. There's nothing inherent to any frequency that makes it "un-harmonic" (not a word, btw) because a frequency is only a measurement of the periodicity of a wavelength. A sound being "harmonic" involves the relationship between the sound's fundamental frequency and its upper frequency spectra. The closer these spectra are related to the fundamental frequency as integer multiples, the more "harmonic" the sound is considered to be. An "inharmonic" sound contains spectra with non-integer relationships between the fundamental and upper frequencies (i.e. sounds like cymbals and white noise).

Bottom line: there's nothing harmonic or "un-harmonic" about a particular frequency itself because it is only means of measurement, not a specific sound.
i get your point but aren't they talking about the harmonic relationship between 440 Hz, the notes generated based upon that, the frequencies that tend to occur in the 'natural' world?