Quick copy/paste of looper to empty audio track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Faldoe

Quick copy/paste of looper to empty audio track?

Post by Faldoe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:43 pm

I use Live's looper a lot. I prefer it over just using clip slots to record clips as the Looper plugin offers some stuff to manipulate the loop.

In the past I've had empty audio tracks in the same amount as my looper tracks - 4 looper tracks, 4 empty audio tracks, and I'd drag the looped audio from each track's looper into the clip slots of each empty audio track.

This is a pretty fast way of transferring but I mainly play guitar and I'd like to find a faster way, if possible, to send the looper tracks to clip slots without having to drag them to the clip slots. Is this possible?

I like to have various bits of looped audio I can pair with each other so I like to loop and then save those loops and clear the loopers for further looping.

Any ideas on how to do what I'm talking about?

S4racen

Re: Quick copy/paste of looper to empty audio track?

Post by S4racen » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 am

You can click and drag the loops to empty audio clip slits, but you can't do it by MIdI unless somewhere knows a better way?

Cheers
D

borg

Post by borg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:01 pm

not especially faster (at all) than drag & drop, but if hands free is of importance (since you're playing guitar), maybe recording the output of the looper track on the spot could work (with some well thought out foot controller programming).

I'd say look into clyphX (always a good idea, especially if you do want to go the foot controller path), but I think I read somewhere that exactly the looper device lacks some API functionality which is essential for midi mapping the device (and what clyphX works with).
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Yeah, the Looper is pretty flawed. You can't even record a "performance" of it into arrangement because most of the buttons on its GUI don't send automation information. EG : doubling or halving the loop length - these sort of actions won't record

However, one of the (many) workarounds I've used to save loops from footpedals is to have a track called "captures" , and assuming your track with a Looper on is called "Guitar" set the captures input to "Guitar" "Post FX" and set monitor to "off". Arm the captures track.

I used to map the "Captures" Track Launch button to a pedal on my FCB, and the scene up/down too. That way three pedals could select, play, or record different loops. I keep changing it though.