how do i rewire Reason audio effect into Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ACSLATER92

how do i rewire Reason audio effect into Ableton?

Post by ACSLATER92 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:42 pm

hey,

so im bringing up the External Audio Effect "Effect" into ableton but when i check out the options i dont see reason come up, when i do this for external insturment i get reason to come up though.

can anyone help out?

agent314

Re: how do i rewire Reason audio effect into Ableton?

Post by agent314 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Just open up Live, open up Reason, and then assign a MIDI out to Reason and an audio in to be whatever outs you're using within Reason (also be sure to set the actual instrument outs within Reason to something that will show up in the I/O panel in Live)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 pm

You can't use Reason's audio effects as external effects in Live because Reason does not have audio input, which would be necessary to route audio into a Reason effect and back into Live.
Unsound Designer

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:15 pm

A Rewire slave (in this case Reason) doesn't receive audio, it just receives MIDI and sends audio. So you cannot use Reason as an audio-effect directly – you would have to render the audio and import it into Reason. You might be able to use Record though to route audio into it and then through the effect out again; but this will not be available through rewire either, you need some kind of virtual audio driver (such as Jack for OSX) to route the audio into Record (audio out of Record could go over Rewire though)…

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:44 pm

^Jack OSX is the best bet for this (considering you may use a Mac - 50/50 chance I suppose) However its rather a retarded setup IMO just to use a Reason effect. Surely Live has something just as good or find a equivalent freeware plugin to make it easier on you. Just a suggestion.

I use Jack OSX for ALOT of things. (i.e. to route Logics audio into Live - because since I cant rewire Logic into Live I had to find away to work around it.) And using Maschine in stand-alone to route audio in Live. Great tool nonetheless.