Live and OSX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
André

Live and OSX

Post by André » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:20 am

Hi,
I´ve been running Live 4.04 in Jaguar (10.2.6) and think it runs smooth
on my Tibook 400mhz but lately I´ve been thinking of updating to
Panther. What I´d like to know is what version of it is the most solid
and (musical friendly if there´s such thing). Once I´ve tried a project made with Live 3 ( on Jag) in a system running the first version of Panther (10.3)and it didn´t play very well, cause of hd speed issues, I think...
thanks
andre

genshi

Post by genshi » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:42 am

For certain things, Panther uses up more system resources and may make things run slower with your particular system specs. In my own case, I have a 667MHz TiBook and now that I have updated to Panther, Live 3 and 4 run a bit slower, so...

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:44 am

from my experience panther likes to have more actual ram then jaguar does, also many of panthers big performance improvements are graphics processor dependent. so if you have an older machine with a faster graphics card then you'll notice a speed boost on that machine.

i've got a tibook 800mhz and i've noticed marked improvement with panther, then again my mate with a much older machine had problems with panther at first.

I've also found that pather does work much better when it's installed fresh and the install is customized for audio (ie, take the foreign languages out, print drivers, etc)

i did some comparisions with matching imacs physically identical accept one running 10.2 and the other on 10.3 and the 10.3 machine did even simple tasks like opening a new finder window about twice as fast.

André

Post by André » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:26 am

Ok guys,
thanx for the comments. Now I have Panther on a second partition (I did a custom
instalation , with only the basic, for audio).so I can make some comparison tests,
but I'd like to insist in the question of what version of Panther is the one that is working
better.Recently I've read one guy sayin just that. One should wait to update the system till it gets really stable. On Jaguar I've had tocome back from 10.2.8 to 10.2.6 because
many things were not working propperly after that.So... that's why I'm a bit afraid.
Once more,
thanks for the atention
Andre